Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Twin Charging my Z!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TopgunZ
Thats why it is so convenient that the G35 drivetrain fits under our cars. It has the same clearance. This would be awesome but I have never heard of the swap...but nobodys done the Twin charge either.
I beg to differ on both accounts....2 minutes of searching proves It has been done a few times, Jun and Function tuned have done them AWD Zees and Ogura has done a twin charged Zee actually tripple charged he had NO2 as well. Maybe you can build the first twin charged AWD Z .

[youtube]qXz1DnthW8s[/youtube]

[youtube]hn3D9UQFGgY&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]rd4XA8czlks[/youtube]

you know what would be really easy as in have it done by next week end and i would do if I bought a sh1tty Stillen supercharger....bolt up an STS rear mount kit or Boosted performance mid mount just bolt that **** up and go twin charged Bro

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 02-27-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:54 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

that z isnt actually twin charged in the sense we are talking about sylvan. when the turbo kicks in the clutch on the supercharger disengages so it only runs one system at a time, we are talking about running both systems at the same time.

dj he could do that but with the cost this setup is going to wind up being might as well use the intercooler and heatexhanger, its only going to help and theres no such thing as air that too cold for a engine =P
Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 AM
TopgunZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But great point on the fact that you can run that stillen without a cooler at all. Makes me feel a little better about temps. However I cant imagine the amount of efficiency lost on it on hot days. Mine is noticeably bigger on hot days, even with the front mount.

Another thing I plan on doing is to duct the front to force the air through it all instead of losing a percent to the sides.

Plus I think im installing a EGT sensor and guage as well to see what I am actually getting at the cylinders.

Do you guys think the pathfinder mod is worth it. Thats also on the plate.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:30 AM
ace32x

as far as the intercooler why not use an HR intercooler? 2 ins and 2 outs. and theres no issues with cooling at all for the radiator and you can still fit an oil cooler up front if temps dictate you need one.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 AM
TopgunZ

Originally Posted by ace32x
as far as the intercooler why not use an HR intercooler? 2 ins and 2 outs. and theres no issues with cooling at all for the radiator and you can still fit an oil cooler up front if temps dictate you need one.

That would work but the Stillen has a manifold water/air cooler and water/air inter cooler. Luckily the front mount is very thin.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 AM
TopgunZ

And for the oil cooler there is room in the stillen front that i have on my car. The sides are both dual slotted.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 AM
ace32x

That would work but the Stillen has a manifold water/air cooler and water/air inter cooler. Luckily the front mount is very thin.
could do the HR style'd for room though its just 2 cores welded together anyways
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the only thing that flows through the piece for the stillen is coolant/water/whatever the user chooses but some sort of liquid. it would require a custom built setup with different endtanks and all kinds of other crap plus its not going to be anywhere close to that thick. would cost less to mount it under the care with a kick *** fan and get just as good if not a little better cooling, going as thick as the intercooler it would be mounted to for the heat exchanger would be a waste anything thicker then it needs is just extra cost since all the actual charger cooling is done under the supercharger.

Last edited by jerryd87; 02-28-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 PM
nathanwl2004

hey look, if you already have the still sc then just go for it and see whether it works. if it doesn't then just take the sc off and run the turbo. all of these guys talk like they know exactly what will happen but (who knows maybe they do) but there is only one way to find out for sure. give it a try.

if it works awesome. if not ohh well sell the sc.

but that being said, just remember that whenever you compress and air you end up with heat. the air coming into the sc will already be hotter than normal because of the turbo and will be further heated by the SC setup. super hot intake air temps are no good either power or detonation control aswell as bearing life. point being, I would most deffinately do everything that I can to try and moderate the quite high temperatures that you will be seeing. I would also strongly conscider building the motor aswell. the rapid increase in torque produced by turbo motors is known to exceed the failure point of the stock con rods and when you add the increased probability of detonation and additional low RPM torque produced by the SC the likely hood of stock block engine failure becomes quite high.

I say do it, just be smart about it.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 AM
TopgunZ

Thats the drawn up plan exactly. If it works great, then awesome. If it doesnt then run the ST.

Build starts Saturday!

I was going to start a new thread with pics of progress and such. However, I just tried uploading a pic on this msg but it keeps saying upload failed. The pic is a jpg thats 71KB so its smaller than the max size allowed. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 AM
nathanwl2004

I'm really curious to see how this turns out. I'll deffinately follow this for sure.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:03 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Who's gonna tune it? I would certainly recommend a tuner well experienced in F/I'd VQ's and chosen EMS to tackle this beast. It won't necessarily be an easy task.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 AM
TopgunZ

There is a local guy here that is familiar with the VQ and FI. I have already spoken to him about my setup and he said that hes up for the challenge.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:33 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a local guy here that is familiar with the VQ and FI. I have already spoken to him about my setup and he said that hes up for the challenge.
O'RLY? Who and where? ...cuz you changed your location on your profile from Phoenix to Denver during the course of this thread.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:17 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty sure inside he said ya ill take ur money and will be laughing to the bank
Old 03-05-2012, 08:34 AM
TopgunZ

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
O'RLY? Who and where? ...cuz you changed your location on your profile from Phoenix to Denver during the course of this thread.
I know you are a doubter. At least your living up to your name RudeG. But I have nothing to prove to you on here. I am here for friendly advice.

Last edited by TopgunZ; 03-05-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you are a doubter. At least your living up to your name RudeG. But I have nothing to prove to you on here. I am here for friendly advice.
As expected, you dodged the question. Who is the tuner?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 AM
TopgunZ

Why does it matter? Why do you care? Are you going to call the shop and ask for him or something? Again, I dont need to share information I dont want to to try and prove something to you RudeG about this build going through.

Is it going to burn you up not knowing?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

my car is twin turbo.. I have gotten used to the power, so could I just add a supercharger to it and technically call it a triple charged setup?

and what kind of gains should I expect? right now on GRD's dyno it pulled 550 hp / 575 tq. Think I could get a 100 more?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I currently live in Denver and there are a couple tuners experienced with FI VQ's but we are talking maybe 1-2 builds each. I have doubts about every shop I've been to here because of information they have given. Such as 600hp stock blocks, pro Turbonetics and Stillen, lack of tuning support, etc. There is one shop that is legit but they have even less FI VQ experience and focus mainly on Subarus. I'd be really cautious about taking VQ advice from any of the shops here.

Last edited by Ruthless18x; 03-05-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Twin Charging my Z!