Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Twin Charging my Z!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87

just look at it this way the piping that sasha uses in his kit technically should be impossible to flow more then 500 hp(charger piping) but binder is well above that. its because once its compressed the volume aka the space the air takes up is the same but the density or weight is much greater. 1 cubic foot of feathers and 1 cubic foot of bricks, same volume definatly not the same density.
The 2.75" piping I use from the turbo to IC will flow 1100cfm (76lbs/min) of free air moving no faster than 304mph, non compressed. At 304mph+ the air encounters resistance due to drag.

So 76lbs/min is about what a GT4094R can push. So even if the air was not compressed, it is still enough flow to make the power that binder made.

Now, once you compress the air, that number (flow) goes up significantly. I don't think there is a turbo I can fit under there which will reach the flow limitation of the 2.75" pipe. Heck, 2.5" piping would do the job just fine.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 02-26-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hmmmm my bad i thought it was a lot lower then that, you have anyway to determine velocity of compressed air sasha? i dont think it would be a issue though the clearances in these blowers are pretty small even on a lower efficiency blower. its not like a wide open throttle body air can freely flow through ive never taken a m62 apart before but a stab in the dark i would imagine the clearance to be under a quarter inch.

the op really shouldnt have any issues with a setup like this, like i said its been used numerous times on other platforms.

if you want a great example take a look at the lancia delta s4, they maxxed the supercharger out on that thing at 350 hp, so they threw a turbo in as well, cant find anything on the specs outside it being a KKK turbo but it looks to be in the size range of gt35 or smaller so nothing monsterous. yet despite that in the endurance tests to see how the engine would hold up they cranked the boost up enough for both systems working togeather to make 1000 hp for extended periods of time on a 1.8L, not sure if that is wheel or engine though. neither system should have been able to support that power level, and the thing was quick 2 second 0-62 times granted it was a light car.

edit just found the specs and the turbo used on the lancia was a KKK K26 which is roughly equivilant ot gt25-gt28 depending on setup, max's 300-400 hp again depending on setup. so they where able to take a 400 hp max turbo and 350 max supercharger and push that thing to 1000 hp (im guessing the 1000 is at the engine.) on a chassis dyno for extended periods of time.

Last edited by jerryd87; 02-26-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:37 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So, it seems like this can work in theory... but that's a lot of power for a stock motor.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 AM
TopgunZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My plan for the stock is to use it as my guinie (spelling) pig. I know there are going to be plenty of issues to work out with this setup in its birth so I plan on keeping a very conservative boost on it at the beginning until i feel confident I can turn it up, at which point i will build the engine.

In regards to cooling. Do you guys feel the intercooler that comes with the PL kit is sized appropriately for such a set up? The only other one i was considering was a Treadstone V12. It is 22" X 12.5" X 4.5" (.715 cu/ft) and would fit. However, the one in the kit is 23" X 12" X 4" (.639 cu/ft). So I dont know if its worth it to fix a new IC to this project for the minimal gain in cooler size. Unless of course Treadstones quality is that much greater to make some sort of an impact. Any input?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 AM
bigcloud

Originally Posted by TopgunZ
Vortech tvs? I think you mean eaton. And yes the new tvs models are way more efficient and create 25% less heat. But to add say a 1320 model would take serious modding.
Yeah you're right!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:53 AM
tonyzS/C03

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
So, it seems like this can work in theory... but that's a lot of power for a stock motor.
yeah like comunisim... great on paper, poor exicution though. But I still want to see what comes of it, I'm very interested to see what hes able to do with it.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:01 AM
jerryd87

for sure i definately wouldnt try it with a stock block personally too much risk to all the systems on the engine when it blows. also traction will be a major issue since people are already having problems with large power levels, providing it a little bit lower is going to be problematic. although something that could potentially be fun if someone wanted to experiment would be a rb26 stroker with full awd drivetrain and a setup like this lol.
Originally Posted by djamps
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 AM
TopgunZ

Originally Posted by bigcloud
Yeah you're right!
Seems were both right. There is a Vortech VTS and an Eaton TVS. You just had the T and V mixed around. However, the Vtechs design is a Lysholm.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 AM
TopgunZ

Originally Posted by jerryd87
for sure i definately wouldnt try it with a stock block personally too much risk to all the systems on the engine when it blows. also traction will be a major issue since people are already having problems with large power levels, providing it a little bit lower is going to be problematic. although something that could potentially be fun if someone wanted to experiment would be a rb26 stroker with full awd drivetrain and a setup like this lol.
Thats why it is so convenient that the G35 drivetrain fits under our cars. It has the same clearance. This would be awesome but I have never heard of the swap...but nobodys done the Twin charge either.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 AM
jerryd87

definatly build the engine first though dude, like others have said its too big a risk to frag the engine, because theres a good chance of fragging the turbo and supercharger also then your out a whole bunch of money and at square one. untelling how much power the awd g35 drivetrain would hold i was thinking mayby gtr rb26 and drivetrain togeather since we know that drivetrain can hold power.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm imterested to see how you are going to fit the blower belt assembly with the powerlab cold pipe the runs across the top of the radiator.

I think that a BP mid mount setup would be WAYYY easier to assemble, since there is nothing in the engine bay. Plus their kits are cheaper and more updated than the Powerlab
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i'm imterested to see how you are going to fit the blower belt assembly with the powerlab cold pipe the runs across the top of the radiator.
He obviously isn't. This is a troll thread and I'm calling BS. If the OP really is in Phoenix, I challenge him to prove he is genuine by walking into Intense and consulting them regarding the fitment issues involved of trying to install a Stillen SC with the PowerLab kit.

Edit: Looks like OP changed his location from Phoenix to Denver. Probably because nobody here in the local AZ VQ community knows who the fawk he is. OP is definitely a troll.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 02-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 AM
TopgunZ

By cutting the flap that sticks out of the radiator. I know. Rocket Science!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:25 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

....lol @ op
Old 02-27-2012, 12:05 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for some reason I thought the snout stuck past the timing cover. Still think routing for a BP kit would be much easier.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:16 PM
TopgunZ

One of the biggest hassles is going to be fitting both the front mounts on this thing. It can be done though. I also will have to reroute the Water/cooler pump and overflow tank. But other than that this all fits under the bay.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 PM
jerryd87

instead of running the heat exchanger up front mayby run it under the car somewhere with a massive fan, ive seen some of the porsche aftermarket systems do this to pretty good effect. just make sure its a good fan and mayby a bigger heat exchanger.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
TopgunZ

Thats not a bad idea. It would cause for alot of newly fabbed piping but maybe worth it. I am concerned about the radiator not having enough free flow due to the wall of intercoolers in front of it and the limited space the fans will have to flow air, even with upgraded fans if the air space is restricted it wouldnt help.

Do you think the V12 I had mentioned would be a better IC?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
jerryd87

without actual data it would just be guesses gotta look at the pressure drop and efficiency, if its bigger but less efficient might not be better.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could you just skip the stillen water/air exchanger which I think only comes with the stage3 anyway? The compressor maybe won't be so far out of it's efficiency range with the lower RPM pulley.

Quick Reply: Twin Charging my Z!