Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Rev-up vs Non-rev up for Twin Turbo Build with Built Short Block

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:43 PM
clubhopper

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rev-up vs Non-rev up for Twin Turbo Build with Built Short Block

Hi,

I've been debating using a rev-up motor or non-rev up motor for a TT build. Maybe some of you have seen my other thread in 'Engine and Drivetrain' regarding differences between a revup and non-revup.

My car is an 06' MT so therefore its has the stock revup ECU and Harness. I'm now aware of the differences between a revup and a non-revup physically and how they perform.

However, I have a question that maybe the experts can chime in on as i've searched on this and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I will be using Haltech's new standalone pro plug-in OEM replacement ECU to run the engine (which if I understand correctly, means I can use either a revup or non-revup in my car regardless of the harness) - is there any compelling reason that I should use a rev-up motor and boost it vs using a standard DE motor and boosting that?

Performance wise will the inherent differences between a DE and DE revup be so insignificant under a boosted application that going either way (revup or non-revup) wont even matter at that point?

I'm asking this because I currently have in my possession every part, cam, gear, bolt, nut, screw, gasket to make up a full VQ35DE non-revup. But i intend to put it in my revup based car.

Thanks very much in advance!

-Ning
Old 06-12-2012, 01:59 AM
konrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides the fact you can tune the exhaust cam timing and maybe spool a little faster and make some more power I think its all the same. ( most tuners wont even touch cam timing)

There are more cam options for the non rev up tho.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:59 AM
eltness350
The Untouchable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would keep it the same, a few have tried doing what your suggesting and seem to have electrical issues with stuff not working/performing correctly...the non rev de will give you a little more tq down low but when you has twin turbo it dont matta!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=

There are more cam options for the non rev up tho.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was thinking Wat is it the BC2's That everyone really likes?