Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

After hard pull, smoke cloud immediately proceeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:19 AM
psychoballistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After hard pull, smoke cloud immediately proceeds

I just noticed recently that after a WOT pull, there is a huge cloud of oil smoke proceeding when I let off or shift, reducing the load.
One part of me wants to say the turbos are in need of new seals, but if that were the case, they would smoke at cruising speeds and startup, not just after a hard pull in boost.

Then I got to thinking about excess crank case pressure causing an issue, where I would having blow by, but in reading the PCV thread here on the forums, I can’t justify that being the bona fide issue. BUT, it could be part of the problem that the PCV is not functioning problem. The kicker is that I do not have any oil in the charge pipe into the intake and this is where I start to find myself at a cross road.

I have been running synthetic oil in the car for the longest time, but wondering if the properties of synthetic oil could be causing the excess crank case pressure. I’m going to try conventional this weekend, see if that makes a difference.

I’m wondering if anyone has had a similar issue, and what you did to resolve it. When my turbo’s where completely blown, they never smoked at all.
The car still drives fine, no other issues, under vacumn there is nothing, but after a pull in boost I get this oil cloud.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:23 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

in boost you have pressure in both crankcase and plenum...oil stays in the crankcase. coming out of boost the crankcase pressure is forced thru the PVC into the plenum. Do you have a catch can (I would assume at your power levels)? You might want to vent it to atmosphere if it's not already.

Last edited by djamps; 07-26-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:29 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Can't imagine launching 759whp....

Into the nearest tree
Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 AM
deanfootlong

welcome to blow by. my smoking issue was terrible until i properly routed my catch can. you're right about the turbos. I remember when i blew the turbo on my dsm. smoke everywhere. i had the same problem you're having. go through that huge thread on routing a catch can. you'll see the best way to get rid of the smoking issue in there.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:41 AM
psychoballistic

I do not have a catch can currently, nor is it vented. I had not had this problem last year running a slight less in terms of power levels, and I hadn't had this problem until recently. Either the PCV system is not functioning problem then, or there is separation of the rings in the cylinders allowing oil through.

Hopefully the PCV system is the issue and a catch can will solve this. I will have to look at it all tomorrow night.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
I do not have a catch can currently, nor is it vented. I had not had this problem last year running a slight less in terms of power levels, and I hadn't had this problem until recently. Either the PCV system is not functioning problem then, or there is separation of the rings in the cylinders allowing oil through.

Hopefully the PCV system is the issue and a catch can will solve this. I will have to look at it all tomorrow night.
I'm actually surprised you got by at all w/700+WHP on a completely stock PVC system. Too much pressure and you could have more issues than just smoke.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:57 AM
psychoballistic

Yes, indeed surprising... No modifications to the valve covers or anything... No oil in the charge pipe either... It has only just recently happened, and I have been staying out of boost since.

I will be looking to vent to atmosphere first and see if that solves the issue. If it does, I will route in a catch can system.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also check the last build thread by jtgli, he was ~700+whp and had a blow-by issue and routed the can to collect and then drain back into the block.

Enjoy the pvc routing thread
Old 07-26-2012, 11:15 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

open breathers, recirc A/c.
/thread
Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by str8dum1
open breathers, recirc A/c.
/thread
Hopefully this is indeed the issue... checking the turbos anyway to make sure I'm not over looking anything. The cloud of smoke that comes out after is truly significant IMO.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM
str8dum1

drop your downpipes. you will hardly get oil on the compressor side.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:30 PM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by str8dum1
drop your downpipes. you will hardly get oil on the compressor side.
So the excess crank case pressure without a catch can setup will push that much through the turbine side of the turbos?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:32 PM
str8dum1

thats to double check that your seals and/or oil return is working properly.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:26 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The blowby and pcv system won't push oil into the charge pipes, it will push it right into the bottom of the runners on the plenum and cause smoke that way. If the bottom of the plenum is clean then like rich said it's probably oil leaking into the turbine housing. When my pump quit oil was pouring into the turbine housing causing nasty smoke. After i cleaned it all out it took weeks to burn off all the small amounts of oil in the turbine housing. Doesn't take much oil at all in the exhaust system to cause a huge cloud.

The fact that it happens right when letting off sounds like a blowby and pcv problem. Catch can should stop that problem.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:41 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
So the excess crank case pressure without a catch can setup will push that much through the turbine side of the turbos?
I don't run a cetchcan and mine doesn't smoke. Each valve cover vents to atmosphere
Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 AM
psychoballistic

I have to look tonight and start checking the PCV system. Sounds like that's where everything is leading.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue I raped a supra last week and all the guy could say was that smoke looks bad

I recently got a new catch can and haven't hooked it up yet I hope that cures my issue as well. Either that or I will have to put Duramax badges on my car
Old 07-28-2012, 12:44 AM
jerryd87

i know once in awhile ill get a smoke cloud from a very very tiny leak on my turbo feed dripping(or mayby just a thin shot onto it) on the turbine housing. i need to get under there and fix it, looked at it today when fixing my pass side three bolt gasket and really just did not want to mess with it. between that and a pan leak which i have yet to locate it can be pretty annoying since it dosnt even build up enough to tell where its coming from.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:17 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ace32x
I don't run a cetchcan and mine doesn't smoke. Each valve cover vents to atmosphere
He has his stock pcv set up to the plenum so if he wants to keep it that way he has to use a catch can. The other thing to do is vent to atmosphere like us.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 PM
ace32x

Originally Posted by binder
He has his stock pcv set up to the plenum so if he wants to keep it that way he has to use a catch can. The other thing to do is vent to atmosphere like us.
Ah gotcha. Yea I capped mine on the manifold at the valve and didn't want to deal with it lol

Quick Reply: After hard pull, smoke cloud immediately proceeds