Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How far can you push the stock engine 540+whp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:57 PM
S13 S1lvia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume being from chch you've spoken to Cundall's? They seem to be ahead of everyone in NZ on VQ stuff, especially when it comes to boost. They're old DE motor i'm fairly sure had forged internals, but it did approx 650hp from memory, i don't think they put that much time on it though.

What are you running it in? If it's a cricuit car then there's a good chance i'll know of it.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

How long is a piece of string?
You can push it until it breaks.

You're going to be either looking at a busted block/worse soon, or you're staring at inflated dyno numbers.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
How long is a piece of string?
Ha! I like that one. I usually fall back on "how many handfuls in a bucket" but I think I'll add that to my repertoire.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dave at FT ran 569whp for only dyno runs and a few street passes before it let go. That was 2007 IIRC.

When you say "season" what do you mean? Drag racing?

If so what do you run at that high power setting?

I can't see how anyone that doesn't drive like a b!tch could keep that motor together at that power.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 PM
redmist

Originally Posted by S13 S1lvia
I assume being from chch you've spoken to Cundall's? They seem to be ahead of everyone in NZ on VQ stuff, especially when it comes to boost. They're old DE motor i'm fairly sure had forged internals, but it did approx 650hp from memory, i don't think they put that much time on it though.

What are you running it in? If it's a cricuit car then there's a good chance i'll know of it.
I've spoken at length with the Cundall's. When they were putting together thier forged engine I was building my Cosworth VQ. We discussed options at length and shared experiences. It would appear that Andrew running stock bearings were right on the money though. My Cosworth/ACL proved very prone to issues with oil control.
The applications are very different, he's running a big single and I run two very small turbo's to aid in spool for incredibly quick throttle response.
My forged engine also runs a 6 stage oil pump and a stunning Dailey pan, where the Cundall's run 3 stage. My cams are much bigger, the ports and flow larger on the Cosworth heads. Saying that I actually like the stressed stock for throttle response and driveability. Hence the desire to run this engine for yet another season of offroad racing.

Last edited by redmist; 08-01-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 PM
redmist

I had no issue with 519whp (other than oil control) all rods that survived were true and straight, pistons were perfect (other than a good coating of lead).
It is perhaps that I have issue getting that type of power to the ground for any length of time.

Red Car.

Last edited by redmist; 08-01-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:43 PM
redmist

Draft video of the 440whp and 539whp passes. Also playing with antilag (real antilag not launch control!!) and cyclic idle.

http://youtu.be/6_14rtKCqPo

and us winning the NZ Enduro champs (460whp tune)

http://youtu.be/3cCqtLj-pB4

Last edited by redmist; 08-02-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 AM
ace32x

Originally Posted by redmist
Draft video of the 440whp and 539whp passes. Also playing with antilag (real antilag not launch control!!) and cyclic idle.

http://youtu.be/6_14rtKCqPo

and us winning the NZ Enduro champs (460whp tune)

http://youtu.be/3cCqtLj-pB4
thats awesome, that is all.

on a side note with a proper tune with minimal timing and race gas is 5xx that much of a strain?

what were the torque numbers when running 500+ whp
Old 08-02-2012, 08:00 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kind of apples to oranges compared to a stock Z or G engine roaming the streets.

your intake manifold is far better than the stock one in terms of equal flow to the cylinders. A big issue with the stock manifold is uneven flow front to back and bank to bank. The driver side bank runs leaner, with 6 the leanest. You probably don't have this issue.

2nd it looks like you're running alcohol or race gas which is going to stop most/all detonation which is the main killer of stock rods.

3rd you don't have enough traction to put steady load on the engine... average output is always going to be far less than 540whp.

I'm not surprised this setup is working well for you... on the other hand Dave pushed the stock motor to 5xx whp on his DD dyno which would be 600+ on a dynojet or even more on a hub dyno before it blew. We don't really know what kind of dyno you're on either, I'm guessing a hub based dyno on the video. Hub dynos usually read much higher than others. On a dyno dynamics or mustang dyno that we're used to seeing on these forums you could actually be in the mid to high 4xx's which isn't anything out of this world especially with race gas.

Oh, and Nice buggy you got there!

Last edited by djamps; 08-02-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fukn BadAs$
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 AM
redmist

Same cars, different paint on both. My red car repainted white. The other car is a very lightweight short course car running a highly developed Porsche aircooled engine. Doesn't have the power, but very quick on this short course.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
redmist

Originally Posted by djamps
Kind of apples to oranges compared to a stock Z or G engine roaming the streets.

your intake manifold is far better than the stock one in terms of equal flow to the cylinders. A big issue with the stock manifold is uneven flow front to back and bank to bank. The driver side bank runs leaner, with 6 the leanest. You probably don't have this issue.

2nd it looks like you're running alcohol or race gas which is going to stop most/all detonation which is the main killer of stock rods.
Thanks for the advice. It confirms my lines of thought. We have a much bigger oil capacity (10 quarts), better cooling, turbo's are further from the block, free'er flow, very good engine management, and as you say, limited time loading the engine. At 2200lb it also doesn't take much to push it into the next sequential gear.
As an aside, we used to run NZ leaded avgas. However we're now running E30. Would love to run E85 but I simply don't have the fuel capacity. 130 litres barely gets me enduro race distance of 250kms. I absolutely love E30, IAT's down, HP up, car sounds less sharp, less prone to detonation, and nice blue flames!!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:18 PM
djamps

^^ ha I knew it wasn't regular gas with those blue flames
Old 08-03-2012, 12:06 AM
redmist

Originally Posted by ace32x
thats awesome, that is all.

on a side note with a proper tune with minimal timing and race gas is 5xx that much of a strain?

what were the torque numbers when running 500+ whp
517lb/ft at 4400RPM. only a few pounds down at 3500RPM. 537whp at 7000RPM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:29 AM
djamps

It might be holding up well on the trails, but let's see how well it holds up with big paddle tires and some sand drags. I've seen plenty of late night carnage in the california sand washes :P.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:16 AM
redmist

Originally Posted by djamps
It might be holding up well on the trails, but let's see how well it holds up with big paddle tires and some sand drags. I've seen plenty of late night carnage in the california sand washes :P.
It's a CA car. Built by Jimco in Santee. Although admittedly configured without this engine.

Given the spec I've seen on the Tatum "1000hp" twin turbo sand cars (my Tatum ships this weekend) I'd suspect this engine would perform well in the sand. My intercoolers are much bigger, my oil control considerably better, my cooling capacity larger and aero for cooling exponentially better. However as my Jimco is no longer SCORE legal it'll never return to the place of its birth.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:38 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by redmist
It's a CA car. Built by Jimco in Santee. Although admittedly configured without this engine.

Given the spec I've seen on the Tatum "1000hp" twin turbo sand cars (my Tatum ships this weekend) I'd suspect this engine would perform well in the sand. My intercoolers are much bigger, my oil control considerably better, my cooling capacity larger and aero for cooling exponentially better. However as my Jimco is no longer SCORE legal it'll never return to the place of its birth.
I'm sure it'll perform well. But it will be outputting higher average power on sand and more sustained load.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM
ranmas2004

How much peak TQ is the engine making at 440whp? Got a dyno graph?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 PM
footballmania32

Those are freaking sick. Love the setup, any pictures of this custom intake manifold? Ahh, that is so awesome. Mad props!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

About the load as someone mentioned... especially on dirt the loads aren't the same...

400whp in a pathfinder vs a 350z vs a buggy are completely different things, I think that's important to notice.

Even if the weight is the same, the traction isn't.

PS you ever go to the dunes in pismo?

I need to start lurking around there... I want to see an NRE car out there.

Last edited by Resmarted; 08-09-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Quick Reply: How far can you push the stock engine 540+whp?