Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Purchased Stillen S/C

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:57 PM
NateZ08

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't mind any talk in "my thread". i want to learn as much as possible.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Congratulations on going FI. You don't have to replace your hood when installing the Stillen Supercharger, but you will have to chop up the reinforcements so that it does not interfere with the blower and their piping. Also, you can not keep your strut brace. Also, power output out of the box is questionable and I don't think it will meet your expectations. Too bad you aren't getting our kit since the car doesn't have to be hacked up and you can keep your strut brace. You can make anywhere from 430rwhp up to 500rwhp depending on the stage you are buying. We have Stage 1 which is rated at 500bhp and Stage 2 rated at 600bhp.

Here are some pics of the Stillen setup with their own dyno graph. Note the hood modifications that have to be made and the torque output.

And here are pics and dyno graphs from our system. These were done on 93 octane so this comparison will apply to where you are in Texas. The 430 to the wheels is our Stage 1 and the 524whp is our Stage 2.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:20 PM
TopgunZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On this GTM kit do you have to remove the washer fluid res.? I see its on the first one but i cant see an air filter. With the filter in place it looks like you need to remove the tank.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:38 PM
bruthaboost

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting Sam. What do you feel would be the safe limits with meth/water injection-I'm in TX as well, about 90min from uprev. I'm wondering if it's worth the hassel of using. I have the aem failsafe.

Also, is there ANY alternative to the urethane mounts in the stage 2 kit? I've gone down the path of adding race parts to a street car and I'm keen on not doing it again.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:05 PM
NismoK

I like stillen because of their extensive history with Nissan and the well known brand (well, way more well known than GTM)
I bought a Stage 2 TT from GTM this spring and was more than impressed by their parts, care and packaging than any other manufacturer I have ever dealt with. The specific individual nuts and bolts come in their own marked packaging and every single piece has been top notch, high quality.

In the NISMO section there is a guy that did a GTM SC to his this spring as well and he has had zero issues and complaints as well......

Research more would be my .02........
Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 PM
NateZ08

I understand everyone has their preferences which is cool. I have my own as well. I'm not saying GTM is an inferior company. Being new to F/I, I guess I take comfort in a big name brand such as Stillen. I know nothing of GTM. I was told since they are a small shop that there would be a long wait time of around 2-3 months for the kit since they are built to order. My history with small shops have been a hassle. They are more reluctant to warranty things since they have more to lose vs. a large company. I am not saying this is how GTM is, I'm saying this based on my previous experiences with small shops. I believe that GTM is a very strong shop. I just chose Stillen. Who knows, in the end i could have the worst experience with Stillen and wish i had gone with GTM. Like I said, you don't have to agree with me, you can just click that back button and act like you never saw anything.

At any rate, I will be giving Jtran (if they accept) an extra iPhone 4 i have to take pictures of the install. If they do, i will post them in this thread for anyone who is interested. Install date has been set to October 3rd.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:14 PM
NateZ08

Btw, i talked to jtran about those numbers yesterday and they assured me i will be in the 400's
Old 09-20-2012, 08:34 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

u will certainly be in the 400s, but i gotta tell ya as a guy who has bought engines and spent alot of money w Stillen w my Z32.. i think its good stuff, but FAR FAR FAR overpriced. its yesterdays news.. and is very very limited. that being said, youll stil likey love it, but there are certainly other avenues to look into OP.
GTM is far from a small shop.. and is the standard IMO for solid @ss turbo work in this current era on our coast/area.

Sam, Ive talked w you about looking over my current builds final product for your blessing.. i still plan on doing so.

OP..take this as a good indicator as I just spent over 20k doing my build.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 PM
NateZ08

You know, I spent 6200 for the kit, and now I have all these people making me feel like I made a ****ed up decision. Ofcourse I'm second guessing myself. I cancelled the order once and then told them to proceed after talking to Stillen and JTran. Here I was thinking I made a safe decision by going with Stillen and now I don't know. I don't want a power monster though. While I believe in getting the best bang for my buck, at the same rate, I do not want to be daily driving a 500hp beast through the rain that we frequently get here in Houston, TX. It comes down to this: as long as I'm making 420+ RWHP, I'm satisfied. The chart on the Stillen website does not mention what psi it's at or if it's been tuned as well as what mods are on the car. Clearly there are some variables that need to be addressed.
The following users liked this post:
Smoove (09-28-2015)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

That's a smart post. There are a lot of variables. Don't let the peanut gallery ( yes im.a proud member) screw u up... but certainly need to have a lot of conversations on what you're truly TRULY looking for w your builder.
( ie watch the vinny ten video lol).
U just said u want a power monster..but also only want 420.
If you're stock block... hr or not.. be realistic.
A car that usually gets 240 to the wheels that suddenly has 440 is fast...period.
The difference is if u are the type who seeks perpetual upgrades or not.
The Stillen will tap out faster than others..but again..let the convo w ur builder be the decision..
We try to help....but when simpler is the plan.. sometime we just scare ppl. Lol.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

From reading this thread, it sounds like JTran is fine with Stillen.

Being on the same page as your tuner = priceless.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by eZg
From reading this thread, it sounds like JTran is fine with Stillen.

Being on the same page as your tuner = priceless.
This is the most important information you will see posted in this thread!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:02 PM
NateZ08

Ended up making around 389.X RWHP @ ~7.9 psi on an AWD mustang dyno. very happy with the kit although i adjusted to the power difference pretty quickly. Wanting more, i called stillen and tried to get a smaller pulley. After talking to the representative, he was less than impressed with my desire for more power. If i could go back, i might have gone with the GTM kit only for the added room for more power but i would be very nervous with more power on that stock block. When speaking to him, i said "well, i ended up paying $xx,xxx with all the supporting mods and little knick knacks (the kit was only about 6,300) and only got about an extra 100 horses."

he goes "ONLY 100?!" sarcastically as if i should've been impressed with that.

it's too late to anything about it now, but i guess i justify it with being on a safe s/c that i can daily drive and not worry about.

going to research more and see if there are some "unofficial" mods i can do to the supercharger as it is based on the vortech platform.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:59 AM
bruthaboost

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stillen isn't the only company that makes pulleys. Talk to ASP (auto specialties performance). They're good and reasonably priced.

The stillen rep had his head up his but. You have everyright to feel how you do. For comparison my vortech SC'd S2000 has nearly 200 whp over stock and daily drives too (though it's been regulated down since buying the Z).

When you up the boost be sure to find out if the external heat exchanger is up to the task and if you have to upgrade that, also make sure its water pump can push enough flow through the new one.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Jaxter

389 whp on JTrans dyno is a lot of power. I made 266 whp with Uprev, Filters, and a manifold-back exhaust. You probably made 140+ whp over stock. What are your impressions of the Stillen? That power level seems ideal for someone wanting to keep a stock motor.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 AM
i.rashid

OP: What is your driving experience?

What is your car used for?

Why do you need so much power on the streets?? Do you want to get Walmart 1.8 seconds faster??

Do you have the car balanced for this amount power? Suspension, brakes, etc.??
Old 10-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Jaxter

Any updates on the HR Stillen Kit? Track times?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 AM
TopgunZ

But that still leaves Stillen with expensive dollar per HP....again!

New Centrifugal SC = $6300 / 100whp = $63 per hp.
Old Roots SC = $4500 / 70whp = $64 per hp.

And every single member on here says the roots kit is useless in what you get for what you pay.

Kind of goes to show that Stillen leaves you wanting more all the time.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 PM
NateZ08

Originally Posted by Jaxter
389 whp on JTrans dyno is a lot of power. I made 266 whp with Uprev, Filters, and a manifold-back exhaust. You probably made 140+ whp over stock. What are your impressions of the Stillen? That power level seems ideal for someone wanting to keep a stock motor.

I love having this kit. STRONG motor. in fact, my first day on the track, i broke an axel. it's awesome to daily drive although my tank gets about 250 miles.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 PM
NateZ08

Originally Posted by Jaxter
Any updates on the HR Stillen Kit? Track times?

Broke an axel on my 3rd run. on my 2nd run, i ran a 13.8 while popping out of gear and putting it back in. I wasn't used to how much force i would need to really throw that stick into gear.

Quick Reply: Purchased Stillen S/C