Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Purchased Stillen S/C

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:27 PM
NateZ08

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by i.rashid
OP: What is your driving experience?

What is your car used for?

Why do you need so much power on the streets?? Do you want to get Walmart 1.8 seconds faster??

Do you have the car balanced for this amount power? Suspension, brakes, etc.??

My driving experience is light track history. I can handle this car with no problem. I practice drifting quite often and have learned my cars limits and how to react to different situations. When it flooded really bad in houston 1 year, i did a 720 on the freeway and managed to end up back in my own lane without hitting anyone or anything. I'm not going to claim im one of the greatest drivers ever...but i do have some good skills and i'm always trying to improve on them with technical driving.

My car is my daily. i drive it to work and anything else.

Yeah, i do want to get to walmart faster.

The only thing i've done other than the S/C are some volk rims. Next purchase will be brakes. Then suspension.

I can already hear your sly comments and all i gotta say is don't worry about what i do with my money. If you don't think im building it right, well, go bother someone else.

Last edited by NateZ08; 12-11-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 PM
germanguy818

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NateZ08
Vortech does not make a kit for the HR btw
Idk if this has been mentioned yet but they actually do make a kit for the HR.. I have it lol
Old 12-11-2012, 11:42 PM
NateZ08

Originally Posted by germanguy818
Idk if this has been mentioned yet but they actually do make a kit for the HR.. I have it lol

I was unable to find anything on a standard production Vortech kit for the HR. From what I understand, stillen's supercharger is a rebadged vortech setup.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 AM
germanguy818

I was unable to find anything on a standard production Vortech kit for the HR. From what I understand, stillen's supercharger is a rebadged vortech setup.
You state correct its not a standard production Vortech kit, yet it is a Vortech supercharger with stillen bells and whistles to fit the HR. Vortech will beef up my supercharger once it's out of the car while the engine is getting rebuilt.

And FYI OP with Stillens 9lb pulley at 100oct the car out down 406rwhp. I am now aiming for numbers north of 500 with the engine build
Old 12-12-2012, 05:56 AM
XKR

Ended up making around 389.X RWHP @ ~7.9 psi on an AWD mustang dyno. very happy with the kit although i adjusted to the power difference pretty quickly. Wanting more, i called stillen and tried to get a smaller pulley. After talking to the representative, he was less than impressed with my desire for more power. If i could go back, i might have gone with the GTM kit only for the added room for more power but i would be very nervous with more power on that stock block. When speaking to him, i said "well, i ended up paying $xx,xxx with all the supporting mods and little knick knacks (the kit was only about 6,300) and only got about an extra 100 horses."

he goes "ONLY 100?!" sarcastically as if i should've been impressed with that.

it's too late to anything about it now, but i guess i justify it with being on a safe s/c that i can daily drive and not worry about.

going to research more and see if there are some "unofficial" mods i can do to the supercharger as it is based on the vortech platform.
Hi Nate...I am a friend/customer of Johnny J. Tran. I am sure he picked Stillen for you because you may have set a low limit of what you wanted to spend.Most on here are not big fans of Stillen because of the HP you get vs the price of the kit. Stillen has a brilliant marketing department and its one of the reason you feel the way you do. But what we have to counter their marketing skills is facts! Tons of members on here have went down that road and all have the same story to tell.

In the end I see that you made 389whp on JTrans dyno, so I am sure you will make in the 400s on a DynoJet....thats not bad for that kit. One of the down sides to that KIT is, you are limited to what you can do to build real power.

If you every get the PowaBug...and you will... sell that kit and go Turbos. Tons of different ones I would go with on here...JWT,GTM,SFR,BP,Greddy, just to name a few.

I will be at JTran on Thursday to get my clutch pedal changed, if you are there I will give you a ride in my car so you can see the difference.

XKR

Last edited by XKR; 12-12-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 AM
XKR

SHOCKING....I am shocked that Keith (SuperchargedG) has not posted yet...he is the national Stillen fan club president.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

The one and only thing that attracts me to the upgraded stillen kits is emissions.... If emissions is of no concern then yeah 100% on what everyone else says especially the boosted OG members..
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
SHOCKING....I am shocked that Keith (SuperchargedG) has not posted yet...he is the national Stillen fan club president.
Mike all i gotta say is *** stillen but this is the vortech version and not the roots style...i think.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Mike all i gotta say is *** stillen but this is the vortech version and not the roots style...i think.
yeah.... This is the newer version... I was just wondering how long it would take for you to see my post
Old 05-29-2013, 01:01 AM
jrob

Old thread, just wanted to see how she is holding up. Are you happy with it? Have you looked more into pulleys or possibly a 928 impeller? I dont understand peoples aversion to this particular setup simply having a stillen badge on it. The meat and potatoes is a tried and true vortech blower, and there should be plenty of upgrade options for more power. I understand the concerns with the old roots kit but this is a completely different animal. Hope you are enjoying it op, and glad to see another good review of jtran. That is looking more and more like the spot I will end up for tuning my vortech.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:12 AM
Jaxter

I'm not trying to answer for the guy, but he told me he still loves it. He took me for a ride last month and beat the crap out of it. His car helped me decide to go with the Stillen on my HR.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 AM
NateZ08

Originally Posted by jrob
Old thread, just wanted to see how she is holding up. Are you happy with it? Have you looked more into pulleys or possibly a 928 impeller? I dont understand peoples aversion to this particular setup simply having a stillen badge on it. The meat and potatoes is a tried and true vortech blower, and there should be plenty of upgrade options for more power. I understand the concerns with the old roots kit but this is a completely different animal. Hope you are enjoying it op, and glad to see another good review of jtran. That is looking more and more like the spot I will end up for tuning my vortech.
Yeah still lovin the setup. Still hungry for more power, but then again, aren't we all? No problems whatsoever. Although sometimes it has a little hard time starting but it could be the tune and injectors. Sometimes it idle's pretty high (around 1300-1600) which is weird. Jtran retuned it and it was idling at around 700. As time progressed, it started happening again. I just daily drive a piece of **** buick now to offset any wear and tear on the Z.

summary: still love the power and the SOUND.