Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Supercharger tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 04:06 PM
crd00

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Supercharger tuning

Ive looked around on this forum and other forums and I can't find the answers I'm looking for. My question is: Can I tune my 2006 350z after I install my supercharger without running it on a dyno? Can I install a tune on my ECU with a programmer or PC based system? Is the ECU on a 350z stand alone or does it have to be sent away to get it flashed or is it not possible to do either?

I am trying to get these facts straight before I dive into a supercharger for $6000 +. I want straight forward answers as well from the guys who have done this. Thanks
Old 11-04-2012, 05:10 PM
TopgunZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's called street tuning and you can if you are on friendship level with a tuner that knows his shat. I wouldn't recommend it though. You won't even know what kind of numbers your putting down.

You can use the oem ecu with osiris but you have to buy a license to tap into it. Usually about $300 then another $300 to tune it.

There are some packages out there that come with a piggy back so you won't need a tune.

Last edited by TopgunZ; 11-04-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 PM
crd00

What packages would these be topgunz?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

YES!!!!!!

What SC package are you looking at?

I have a Vortech, using a Split Second Piggyback ECU, that works with the stock ECU

All of my Tuning has been on the Street, after 2004.

The Best way is to have control of your tuning device, so that you can do what you what. But it is somewhat involved. You need all the right tools.

Shoot me a PM if you have anymore questions.

As you can see from my sign, my car runs pretty good for a stock block.

Tim
Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 PM
seymore4
Professional

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by crd00
What packages would these be topgunz?
Best bet for tuning will be Uprev Osiris, most likely the tuner version so you have full access to the tuning software. I would highly recommend a full dyno tune with any sort of FI on a VQ... but street tuning would be better than the canned tune that comes with most forced induction kits anyways.

Last edited by seymore4; 11-04-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:01 PM
lillong1991

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why cheap out on the build for the last thing to do? you have already gone this far and spent most of the money already. why cheap out on the most important part of the FI process and waste the all the money when your engine blows because the car wasnt tuned properly....
Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 PM
pro_350z

you need to list what type of supercharger your going to install. Being Vague will get you nowhere on this site. There is a lot of people with a lot of good info so the SEARCH button would used first if anything.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by pro_350z
you need to list what type of supercharger your going to install. Being Vague will get you nowhere on this site. There is a lot of people with a lot of good info so the SEARCH button would used first if anything.
What supercharger he has doesn't change anything.

OP you either need to go learn how to tune, and start understanding what's going on, or you need to ask your local tuner if he will do a street tune for you. Street tunes are fine, and I know plenty of cars that run a street tune only. You'll probably get more power out of a dyno tune, but a street tune will be fine if you have a competent tuner.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

IMHO, if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't
Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 AM
TopgunZ

I rode on my piggy back with my stillen for a year and a half. But was never to sure of the tune.

It doesnt sound like you have the knowledge to be doing any tuning yourself. You are seriously going to want to yourself if you street tune it to save a few hundred bucks and you bend a rod because you detonate. You could easily need a new engine with a shiesty tune at 330whp or you could have a stand up reliable tune and put down 430 without issues. Plus with a proper tune the car is going to perform better = more fun, and thats why your doing this.

Plus you are 100% for sure going to need a wideband if you street tune. Thats $200 right there. You can get by without one if you dyno tune it, but again your reliability goes down when you dont know your cars criticals.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by TopgunZ
I rode on my piggy back with my stillen for a year and a half. But was never to sure of the tune.

It doesnt sound like you have the knowledge to be doing any tuning yourself. You are seriously going to want to yourself if you street tune it to save a few hundred bucks and you bend a rod because you detonate. You could easily need a new engine with a shiesty tune at 330whp or you could have a stand up reliable tune and put down 430 without issues. Plus with a proper tune the car is going to perform better = more fun, and thats why your doing this.

Plus you are 100% for sure going to need a wideband if you street tune. Thats $200 right there. You can get by without one if you dyno tune it, but again your reliability goes down when you dont know your cars criticals.
What makes a street tune more likely to detonate? A proper street tune won't have too much timing and definitely won't be too lean. That is unless your tuner is a total idiot.
Yes you can get a more precise tune on a dyno, and yes you can get a lot more power, but for a temporary tune there's nothing inherently wrong with a street tune. In fact, a lot of people I know like to do street tunes for drive-ability tuning, because it's cheaper.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 AM
TopgunZ

Originally Posted by Resmarted
What makes a street tune more likely to detonate? A proper street tune won't have too much timing and definitely won't be too lean. That is unless your tuner is a total idiot.
Yes you can get a more precise tune on a dyno, and yes you can get a lot more power, but for a temporary tune there's nothing inherently wrong with a street tune. In fact, a lot of people I know like to do street tunes for drive-ability tuning, because it's cheaper.
I was imlpying that under the assumption he attempts to teach himself and tune himself, as you stated in a previous post.

But yes, if he has a knowledgeable tuner in the seat then sure it is a manageable method to get a tune on his car.

However, how much will a tuner charge to do this? $300? $400? In my opinion, spend another $200 at this point and get a legit tune. Why spend thousands of dollars on his FI system and get robbed of potential power? and in MY opinion, safety. Dyno's for the most part are tuning devices. Use the tools.

Perhaps im just frustrated I am not knowledgeable enough to know how to street tune myself. Believe me, wish i could. I would explore my system intensely.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by TopgunZ
I was imlpying that under the assumption he attempts to teach himself and tune himself, as you stated in a previous post.

But yes, if he has a knowledgeable tuner in the seat then sure it is a manageable method to get a tune on his car.

However, how much will a tuner charge to do this? $300? $400? In my opinion, spend another $200 at this point and get a legit tune. Why spend thousands of dollars on his FI system and get robbed of potential power? and in MY opinion, safety. Dyno's for the most part are tuning devices. Use the tools.

Perhaps im just frustrated I am not knowledgeable enough to know how to street tune myself. Believe me, wish i could. I would explore my system intensely.
It's alright, I don't know how to tune yet (even though I understand some of the bare basics). I want to learn as well, but I have a million other things to learn/practice and do.
My local guy charges 75$ an hour for street tuning (drivability tuning). Not a bad deal if you ask me.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

i would assume the OP is going to chime in and state that he is rural Canada and not near a shop w a Dyno.
Hell, if i still lived in ALaska.. (and I lived in the 2nd largest city).. even then id still probably have to drive 400 miles w nothing in between but mountain ranges on a 2 lane road to get to any place that even HAD a dyno, let alone onre that has a guy that would have known how to tune a VQ, Osiris etc.. lol.. I will attest to you that the world far far up north is a VERY different place to be than the lower 48 states.. thank GOD i moved. I bet the OP is competent in his own mechanics and the tune is the snag for him...

I still agree 1000% tho.. find a way to get it to the right person to tune, dyno OR street... or dont do it at all. Take it from a guy ( this guy) who threw a bearing playing too much w a Cobb tuner himself.....NA.. i couldnt imagine chancing ANYTHING when even lightly boosted.

Last edited by bmccann101; 11-05-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 AM
TopgunZ

At $75 an hour that would be another story.

Also, it may depend on what ecu you are working with. A tuner may charge more/less depending on what he is comfortable with. I would assume haltech would be easier to street tune vs. a utec in dos mode.

If he is XXX miles away from anyone with knowledge then he better get a piggy back system or hes screwed anyway. I doubt he wants to trailer it hundreds of miles. Or get a solid base map...but now were talking aftermarket ecu's.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:04 AM
tylerxfire

not worth it to cheap out on the tune..its one of the most important pieces to bringing it all together...mail order tune would not be a good idea for a boosted z..strap it down and let a professional tune it imo..
Old 11-05-2012, 11:06 AM
tylerxfire

street tuning is better than a mail order tune or nothing at all..but id still put it on a dyno for a tune..
Old 11-05-2012, 01:18 PM
crd00

Thanks for all the input fellas. I know where I'll be going from now on to get answers to my questions lol.

To everyone that said "dyno is the way to go" I agree 1000000% but like I said I don't have access to one so I'm looking for other options and by the look of this discussion, there arent many others without taking a chance on blowing my engine.

Also, I do not have the experience to tune it myself nor do I know of anyone here in this little shitty province that does. I have one of the only few 350z's here where I live so internet resources are pretty much my only help.

I was hoping the 350z had a stand alone ECU that I could just put maps into but it doesnt look that way. So if dynoing it is the only fair option, my 350 wont be seeing a supercharger

Last edited by crd00; 11-05-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default location

If you're in Providence you need to go get dyno tuned at DENT sport garage in southern boston. I drive there from the University of New Hampshire monthly to tune my G. Matt there is absolutely great and you'll have a car that can do anything.... knock your socks off or cruise around the tight streets. IMO best around here, especially for supercharged Z's.

Edit: Re-read your wording... smart choice saying no. I don't even run my car N/A after I change anything significant.

Last edited by yosip1115; 11-05-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: woops
Old 11-05-2012, 02:35 PM
crd00

Originally Posted by yosip1115
If you're in Providence you need to go get dyno tuned at DENT sport garage in southern boston. I drive there from the University of New Hampshire monthly to tune my G. Matt there is absolutely great and you'll have a car that can do anything.... knock your socks off or cruise around the tight streets. IMO best around here, especially for supercharged Z's.
LOL

I said I live in a province as in newfoundland is a province in canada

Quick Reply: Supercharger tuning