Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy e-manage...how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 09:21 AM
g356gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy e-manage...how does it work?

The Greddy e-manage that comes pre-programmed with the Greddy TT kit......is it like a piggy back system or does it overide the main ecu maps entirely to run the engine on it's own with the stock ecu as a basic function back-up. I have seen Zimbo do a 350Z Vortech kit on his G35 sedan by re-programming the Splitsecond box. I wonder if it is possible to do something with the e-manage so I can work on my g35 sedan. My only concern is the e-manage part of the kit.....the fitment will work...except for a few little intercooler piping mods. What do you guys think??
Old 01-15-2004, 02:39 PM
SlamMan

AFAIK, if you have the greddy tuning software you would just have to start with new maps for your G. The settings on the emanage in the Z kit are locked.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:33 AM
etx

I believe the emanage will operate as a piggy back (like greddy uses it for the TT kit) or as a standalone if you can hook up all the sensors that it needs. At this point I have no experiance with it so I cannot be positive. All around I hear its a great unit and I am excited to use it.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:58 AM
JSE350z

i dont know much about the system but from what i have read, the e-manage is susposed to act almost like a piggy-back but with more options and more abilities to tune the car for the driver.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:59 AM
12SecZ

Did they make a 350Z wiring harness for the E-Manage for this kit or what?
Old 01-17-2004, 01:21 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The E-Manage is in no way whatsoever a standalone nor does it offer any of the features that a standalone EMS does.

The E-Manage is easily the most powerful and tunable piggy back system on the market, at least that I have ever played with.

For the most part, its really just an overcomplicated S-AFC... but its got some MAJOR advantages.

The S-AFC is retarded and has no idea what boost even is, which is why the S-AFC is professionally considered a hack for turbo cars typically. If you change your boost, the S-AFC has no clue whatsoever... this is not right, if you are tuning your car properly with turbos you need your tuning system to be aware of the boost so that the changes it makes are also factors of the boost level. This is where the E-Manage steps in and makes the S-AFC the fool...

The E-manage is NO DIFFERENT then the S-AFC UNTIL you add the additional injection harness, it woudl be stupid not to add the MAP sensor addition, and the ignition harness as well.

There you go, now you have the ultimate piggy back. Not only do you have this retarded TPS x RPM Map just like the S-AFC, but you have some new features that are actually kinda doing things the right way (if a piggy back can do that)

With these options, you of course get a MAP/RPM Ignition timing map where you can program in an ammount of timing retard... so you can program say maybe you want .5 degree pulled for every pound of boost, or maybe you want the timing stock but then at 6 psi to start pulling timing out... its all up to you and you engine.

You also get the one feature that makes the E-Manage worthwhile... its one sole advantage that you dont see in pretty much any other (popular brand name) piggy backs. This is the Additional Injection Map. This is a map that is based on MAP x RPM. The Add Inj Harness taps into every injector wire... and now what you can do is program a map that extends the injector pulse width every time it sees the injector fire... so basically your not tricking the ECU with this part, which is what makes it legit... it effects the injector pulsewidth AFTER the stock ECU decided what to make it and sent it out. But keep in mind, doing this stuff at stock fuel pressure and your gonna max out those injectors in no time flat.

So now you put in an oversize injector... the larger you go, the more you have to lean it out (in the tune) to make the car run correctly. This is where you run into the flaws of the piggy back world. The only way to run this larger injector leaner is to make the ECU fire less... and the only way to do that is to make it think there is less air so it needs to inject less fuel... and the only way to do that is to change the airflow meter voltage so that the ECU thinks there really is less air. Sounds all good at first, until you remember that your factory ignition timing maps are also based on airflow, so now you just ****ed up your timing by puting youself in the wrong place on the map, and not only that but if you get too crazy the car will never idle good again cause its a POSSIBILITY (depending on what car and what ECU) that the ECU will never really even enter its idle "modes" because the airflow readings are not in range.

So what I am saying with that, dont go much larger at all with an injector with the E-Manage or any other piggy back, cause its really gonna make you car drive horrible... just cause you can tune it all out for peak power doesnt mean its gonna run that well when it comes to driveability.

So this takes you to the next feature of the E-Manage... it can control sub injectors. If you dont know what those are, they are extra fuel injectors that are placed anywhere you put them in your intake, to help out your main injectors. The thing that blows is the E-Manage can only do 2 sequential subs... that means you have to put the injectors in the intake piping and thats ehhh i dunno... old school and kinda ghetto... the way to do it legit is a second fuel rail right behind the stock one with 1 sub injector per cylinder... that is if your gonna do subs. But yea, E-Manage isnt about to fire 6 sub injectors, so you put the injectors in the intake pipe right before or after the throttle body. Make sure that nothing with vacuum lines coming off the plenum will be effected by the fuel vapor and possible puddles.... maybe the gas will help clean out the carbon, i dunno.

piggy back systems are an art, but like any art when you overcomplicate it and add too much it just turns into crap. you have to keep it clean and simple to be quality.

Every car is different, and the potential of the E-Manage with the VG35 powertrain has yet to be explored, there are guys like swinke right now trying to find the limits of its compatablities with our cars. I may also venture into it a little, without much expectation.

Any of this make sense? I just woke up so it might be worded a little screwy.

Last edited by phunk; 01-17-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:41 AM
g356gear

So if you weren't changing boost levels.....say with a Vortech SC....then an Apexi AFC would be good enough to FINE tune you're fuel curves......due to it's simplicity.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:42 AM
etx

After I build my motor for boost ill be using the emanage or ill build a megasquirt for my seconadaries. I'm using an 034EIC right now on my other car and I works like a dream.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally Posted by g356gear
So if you weren't changing boost levels.....say with a Vortech SC....then an Apexi AFC would be good enough to FINE tune you're fuel curves......due to it's simplicity.
Sorry to dig out a 3 months old thread...but is this true?

Old 04-28-2005, 07:05 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phatmitzu
Sorry to dig out a 3 months old thread...but is this true?

With the Vortech, the main tuning needs to be performed by an eManage, TS Reflash or SS Box. For really fine tuning...like 5% changes...you could probably get away with an AFC. But if you have an Emanage or SS installed, there would be no need to run an extra SAFC...you could just make adjustments with the Greddy Support Tool, e-01, or R4 software.

Like Charles mentioned, an SAFC is a terrible way to tune an F/I car, due to the unwanted side affects of timing variation.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 04-28-2005 at 07:07 AM.