Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech DE strong hesitation in WOT then oil everywhere. help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Colombo

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Vortech DE strong hesitation in WOT then oil everywhere. help!

so i have an 04 vorteched Z small pulley with all the fixings. 600cc Detch inj, AAM fuel return system, walbro etc. Mocal oil cooler setup

so today took ol girl out to a open track day at the FIRM for their 1.5 mile road course. drove 2 hrs to the track. drove fine (never got into boost much). during the parade laps when i hit WOT the car would strongly hesitate if i very slowly raised RPMs it seemed to hit boost fine and pull hard. when i just dropped it tho it would hesitate pretty strongly. well instead of pulling off like i should have i made my final parade lap. slowly punched it to WOT got it up to about 6k and poof smoke oil everywhere. completely emptied the oil pan in seconds. ofcoarse i shut off immediatly etc etc. got towed out.

After a quick search i found that the oil line that ran from the sandwich plate on the oil filter to the oil cooler which was 1 of those gator lines that "dont" require hose clamps has blown right off the nipple and shot the oil out the car.

so after unclinching my buttcheaks i fixed the line clamped them all refilled and started the car. revved fine drove fine felt strong. as i got home i noticed that the typical fuel pump noise was prob twice as loud. could this have caused my hesitation. what is the issue? car seem to pull hard why the sudden loud noise. also how would this have caused oil pressure to get so hot or cause the line to blow off the nipple?

sorry for the long post any help would be great. car seems to run fine oil pressure looks right AFR is sliiiightly more wavy then usual at idle (could just be me tho) thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Colombo

BTW mods if this is in the wrong location please move. just figured here would be a good start since we all have upgraded fuel pumps(most)
Old 01-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Calinismo350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing that happened to me, the oil line... I went to a shop where they make costume hydraulic hoses and bought one. it holds up to 500psi so I shoulnt have any issue, at the same time I bought it 10 inches longer that way if there's any need of taking the blower out I won't have to disconnect the oil line. I paid 60$ for te hydraulic hose. about the fuel pump issue I've never had it.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gonna have to put a gauge on to check fuel pressure id say..thats probably where i would start..the oil situation idk..i never had a problem with that..
Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Colombo

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
gonna have to put a gauge on to check fuel pressure id say..thats probably where i would start..the oil situation idk..i never had a problem with that..
i have a FPR with a gauge im going to check it today to see what it is at.

Originally Posted by Calinismo350z
same thing that happened to me, the oil line... I went to a shop where they make costume hydraulic hoses and bought one. it holds up to 500psi so I shoulnt have any issue, at the same time I bought it 10 inches longer that way if there's any need of taking the blower out I won't have to disconnect the oil line. I paid 60$ for te hydraulic hose. about the fuel pump issue I've never had it.
its not the oil line off the blower it is the AN line from my Oil cooler to the thermostatic sandwich plate that blew off... yesterday i checked the oil and it was slightly below the full line on the dip stick. without thinking i filled it with some and quickly left for the track. perhaps i over filled it? or maybe im over thinking it. is it possible that some oil stays in the oil cooler and when i put more oil in the system had entirely too much oil causing tons of pressure and the line to blow off under WOT.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Colombo

tyler happen to know what the FPR should read? 51 range? i havent checked it yet but i will later along with maybe some cypher logging.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 AM
tonyzS/C03

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

factory fuel pressure is about 52 psi i think... It kind of sounds like you may have had a clog in the oil lines some place maybe or that your not able to vent crank case pressure properly
Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Colombo

Originally Posted by tonyzS/C03
factory fuel pressure is about 52 psi i think... It kind of sounds like you may have had a clog in the oil lines some place maybe or that your not able to vent crank case pressure properly

thats very possible.

anyways today i found some information on it being a pretty bad idea to have the oil cooler mounted upside down for many reasons.1 being air building in the system?.... ofcoarse mine was upside down because it was easier to route the hoses. so i flipped the cooler build new brackets and rerouted lines.

i also checked my FPR and at idle with vacuum connected it sat at 42psi. what is everyone else in the supercharged world running at idle? i raised the pressure to 52 and car seemed to idle better. took it for a few pulls and felt real good. pulled hard.

my next question is could the pressure being so low have affected the quality of my tune? it was tuned on osiris by SnR.

also how if at all does fuel pressure correlate to oil pressure?. it sounds weird or it could be a coincidents but after adjusting fuel pressure i noticed that when i reved the car the oil pressure seemed to stay lower the before i had. before i changed fuel pressure it would rise above 100 after around 80..
Old 01-14-2013, 02:01 AM
tonyzS/C03

Fuel pressure and oil pressure are unrelated, 42psi seems to be about the gold standard for folks in the FI community at idle. If the car was tuned with a static fuel pressure I'd probably go back to that or if it is idleing better I'd go do a pulls on the dyno or at least a few logs with AFR just to make sure that your not too rich now. With a 10psi just in fuel pressure you may be running very rich is the top end now.

Your oil pressure drop is most likely due to the remounting of the oil cooler and re-routing of the lines.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 AM
MUZZY

simple problem you could have here. You have a clog or a bend in the line. and During heavy accell you are punching it you are causing this effect of "water hammer" or just simply putting too much pressure in the oil cooler loop. I think it could simply be a krimp in the return oil cooler line or a clog in the oil cooler. or simply when you installed you had trap air in the cooler and it was never positiones to remove the air so the air was always trapped there causing some buildup pressure.

As a piping enginieer that s something that happens a lot in my industry but I never seen it in a car. but if you described your situation and kept the car stuff out thats what I would tell you. But I think you have a restriction of some sorts.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 AM
MUZZY

also note the oil pressure is purely based on revs and oil tempereture most. So based on the temperature of the engine you going to get different oil pressures. So do not relate the fuel to oil. it is comepletly different system. The fact that the fuel pump became louder also is you could have less fuel in the tank.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:07 AM
Colombo

very true muzzy. thanks for the insight im going to do some more research on the idle PSI and possibly bring it back down to 42 if that seems to be the norm.

any idea what could cause the hard hesitation? it felt like it was being starved for fuel for those few hard WOT pulls and around 5k it would just burp n shake almost but not go any further up the rpm range. im going to get underneath it today and check the routing of the fuel lines and oil lines.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Colombo

did a couple pulls at 52psi and some at 42 and they both seem to be pretty rich to me. my wideband read 10:1 and slowly raised to around 10:8 closer to redline.

hmm
Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you need to get it to a dyno in the hands of a qualified tuner ASAP.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Colombo

Originally Posted by djamps
you need to get it to a dyno in the hands of a qualified tuner ASAP.
yea this is next. i just dont understand how the osiris tune could have changed. it ran in the mid 11s AFR just a week ago it was tuned by SnR 6-8 months ago. but im going to get it tuned again if i cant figure this out.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Colombo
did a couple pulls at 52psi and some at 42 and they both seem to be pretty rich to me. my wideband read 10:1 and slowly raised to around 10:8 closer to redline.

hmm
You should notice a significant amount of hesitation if it richens up that much. Yes, definitely get the car to your tuner ASAP.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Colombo

so this sounds nuts but on a last ditch effort i pulled my Uprev Gt maf and cleaned it with MAF cleaner along w the electrical connectors. plugged everything back in did the cipher fuel pump disconnect then reset everything and left the fuel pressure at what it was originally at 42 started car. idle stayed between 14.2-15.6 fluctuation and it seemed pretty stable. said F it and went to the test road. after 5-6 hard second and third pulls to redline it never got below 11.4 and up top the last maybe 200-500 rpm it got to 12.1 which if i remember correctly was where it sat before...dirty maf causing my issue. who knows but im going to keep driving it and see if everything checks out.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ did you disconnect your battery or use cipher to clear learned fuel trims when you did all this?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 AM
MUZZY

Originally Posted by Colombo
very true muzzy. thanks for the insight im going to do some more research on the idle PSI and possibly bring it back down to 42 if that seems to be the norm.

any idea what could cause the hard hesitation? it felt like it was being starved for fuel for those few hard WOT pulls and around 5k it would just burp n shake almost but not go any further up the rpm range. im going to get underneath it today and check the routing of the fuel lines and oil lines.
Stop right here do not WOT again. The current stock fuel basket that houses the fuel pump is not designed to fill as fast as a walberro 255 can pump out.

You are going to run lean and may cause harm at WOT if you have not gone with an aftermarket basket or performed the basket hole mode as shown with the vortech isntallation.

This is something most people forget, the basket is a small container that the fuel pump sucks fuel from but the basket is not filled as fast as what the fuel pump can suck in. This can be real bad and explains your hesitation of power due to fuel starvation only during heavy excellaration.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 AM
tonyzS/C03

^ hmmm never heard that before

Quick Reply: Vortech DE strong hesitation in WOT then oil everywhere. help!