Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Dollar Store Octane Booster (Heet alternative!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Dollar Store Octane Booster (Heet alternative!)

This is for water/meth injection... FI section is the only section that will understand the usefulness of this.
Yeah. So today my roommate and I wandered into a local dollar store and I was browsing around for some windshield washer fluid on the cheap to use as a temporary meth injection substitute (dilute with water, just so I don't run full water injection early on). And I found some "Performance Octane Booster"

I picked it up curious wtf would be in it and read it had methanol!!! Cas#67-56-1. I decided to buy a bottle just to see how flammable it was, took it home and just like the label said it burned like fawk. It did have a slight coloration to the flame, but that could have been from debris on the ground... Anyway, the flame was mostly clear, and I assumed it was actually mainly methanol.
Just came home and looked it up on the MSDS site to behold it is actually >99% methanol and <1% proprietary mix (whatever that means). MSDS No:41040

So I thought I'd post this... It's great because it's a buck at the store a bottle, which is technically cheaper by 30-50 cents than heet, BUT better yet, you can actually order this stuff online in cases of 12 and have it delivered to your dollar store (store, tree you know what I mean).

It's cool because I know a lot of guys have problems finding methanol in their area, and for me the closest walmart (heet) is a drive... There are tons of dollar stores in my area though, and they likely have plenty of octane booster.

Not the most insane find, but it's more about convenience than anything. Just thought I'd contribute as I know a few other members on here were using basically straight heet (cough jerry cough), and over time a bit of savings is always worth it. Especially when you consider even this is over paying for methanol.

For the record, I won't run more than a 50% mix of meth. I especially wouldn't encourage 100% dollar store injection, but on a 50/50 with water, I see nothing wrong with it

Last edited by Resmarted; 06-13-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 PM
boostedmaxima

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing, I need to go check this out.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:36 AM
grimm66

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.americanmuscle.com/snowpe...ost-juice.html
Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Resmarted

Total quantity of methanol: 2 gallons
So you are going to pay 45 dollars for roughly 2 gallons of meth, but with a bunch of water.

One gallon is 128fl oz. One bottle of this stuff is about 11oz. So you'd need 12 bottles roughly, and that would be around 13$ for a gallon of meth. Two gallons of 99% meth would total you 26$ roughly.

I just remembered you can't mix this stuff by volume, you have to do it by weight. I'll post back up when I've sobered up. Bars last night... damn

Last edited by Resmarted; 06-14-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:39 PM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

so your spending 45 bucks for a gallon of 50/50 mix when you can spend 2-3 bucks a gallon for -25 windshield was fluid that is 35/65 meth water and add a couple bottles of the stuff resmarted posted. and make the same thing for 5-6 bucks. or can get 6 bottles of -20 which is something like 30/70 mix for 10 bucks or like resmarted said do it the easy way and mix your own and still significantly cheaper.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by jerryd87
so your spending 45 bucks for a gallon of 50/50 mix when you can spend 2-3 bucks a gallon for -25 windshield was fluid that is 35/65 meth water and add a couple bottles of the stuff resmarted posted. and make the same thing for 5-6 bucks. or can get 6 bottles of -20 which is something like 30/70 mix for 10 bucks or like resmarted said do it the easy way and mix your own and still significantly cheaper.
exactly!

And distilled water is like what, .99$ a gallon? That's pretty damn cheap.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:52 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, VP racing M1 is ~$7 per gallon. They have dealers everywhere

otherwise 5gallons with shipping is ~$18

If you are actually using a meth kit to tune for more power, it makes sense to have a guarantee'd MeOH concentration.

Last edited by str8dum1; 06-14-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:56 PM
jerryd87

i couldnt get anyone to ship it to hawaii when i was running meth, and no **** the local performace place ron's performance was selling it for $91 for 5 gallons
Originally Posted by str8dum1

If you are actually using a meth kit to tune for more power, it makes sense to have a guarantee'd MeOH concentration.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Resmarted

Closest vp dealer is 4.5 hours away, and they refuse to ship. I'm planning on picking up a 55gal drum or so when I get my car tuned, but eventually that will run out. Nice to have an easy source in a pinch.

Where can I get it shipped online from?

Last edited by Resmarted; 06-14-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:35 AM
str8dum1

Ya 91$ is 18$/gallon shipped, like I mentioned.

Alot of people use denatured alcohol (DA) as well, esp if you are looking for power as ethanol> methanol Thats sold buy the gallon at Lowes/ Home Depot for cheap.

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html

buyracegas.com has meth for about 90$ shipped/ 5 gallons

i couldnt get anyone to ship it to hawaii when i was running meth, and no **** the local performace place ron's performance was selling it for $91 for 5 gallons
Originally Posted by Resmarted
Closest vp dealer is 4.5 hours away, and they refuse to ship. I'm planning on picking up a 55gal drum or so when I get my car tuned, but eventually that will run out. Nice to have an easy source in a pinch.

Where can I get it shipped online from?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:09 PM
jerryd87

my bad i thought you where saying $18 for all 5 gallons, i ran denatured for awhile was alot cheaper then meth

Alot of people use denatured alcohol (DA) as well, esp if you are looking for power as ethanol> methanol Thats sold buy the gallon at Lowes/ Home Depot for cheap.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Resmarted

hm
Well I looked into buy a 55 gal drum online yesterday, and it was $240 before shipping. Shipping to my place was 208$.

I think I'll wait to get to the tuner and buy m1 there. A lot of things are a PITA to get in California. You can't even buy john deere paint here anymore.

I knew people ran DA, but I wasn't sure how effective it was, and was just planning on doing 50/50 for starters and then when I become a good driver, and learn how to tune effectively/safely, I was going to head to a dyno and play with fluids.

I do know that meth has a stoich mix of 6:1 and DA has something around 21:1...

I did also find out that there are people in town pushing for an e85 station... So that may result in me doing some big changes (twin 044s in an external sump, setting the car up to run a smaller spray of 100% water). That being said, I know I'm a hypocrite; I openly think corn for fuel is wrong... But after seeing what the local guys charge for the race gas they get from dealers outside our town, I would totally consider running it.

Last edited by Resmarted; 06-15-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:30 PM
jerryd87

DA is way lower then that, the stuff they have at home depot is like 49% meth 50 ethanol mix with 1% MEK

why not like e85? the corn they use to make it sells as cream corn and retains 98% of its nutritional value, plus e85 is slowly heading towards being produced by other sources like algea
Originally Posted by Resmarted
hm
Well I looked into buy a 55 gal drum online yesterday, and it was $240 before shipping. Shipping to my place was 208$.

I think I'll wait to get to the tuner and buy m1 there. A lot of things are a PITA to get in California. You can't even buy john deere paint here anymore.

I knew people ran DA, but I wasn't sure how effective it was, and was just planning on doing 50/50 for starters and then when I become a good driver, and learn how to tune effectively/safely, I was going to head to a dyno and play with fluids.

I do know that meth has a stoich mix of 6:1 and DA has something around 21:1...

I did also find out that there are people in town pushing for an e85 station... So that may result in me doing some big changes (twin 044s in an external sump, setting the car up to run a smaller spray of 100% water). That being said, I know I'm a hypocrite; I openly think corn for fuel is wrong... But after seeing what the local guys charge for the race gas they get from dealers outside our town, I would totally consider running it.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Resmarted

Well I mainly believe government subsidization should go towards alternative fuel sources such as algae; ones that need less resources to create and do not have any impact on food costs.
So the DA they sell at home depot is a mix of meth and ethanol? I'll have to look at that.
DA is way lower then that, the stuff they have at home depot is like 49% meth 50 ethanol mix with 1% MEK

why not like e85? the corn they use to make it sells as cream corn and retains 98% of its nutritional value, plus e85 is slowly heading towards being produced by other sources like algea
Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 PM
jerryd87

*shrug* i have no issues with farmers getting paid more, i know a bunch(you wouldnt think it but NE ohio has a TON of farmers and farm land) and they dont make nearly enough for essentially keeping society alive. they really dont change corn prices either they still charge just as much.

heres the msds bro varys a little but pretty close
http://www.rockler.com/tech/RTD20000136AA.pdf
Old 06-16-2013, 12:50 PM
str8dum1

another option is almost all drag strips have methanol along with race gas on site. My local strips sell it for 5$/gallon.

government subsidies for E85 have all but disappeared. your argument is moot.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice... My local store sell the M1 for about $50. I mix my own so I can maintain consistency and I just finished my 5 Gallon M1. Heck it took me a while to finish it because I dont drive my car daily so I'm thinking of finding an alternative of mixing it. I'll check if my shop can sell me a gallon but it will be more expensive.