Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ATI Vortec Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 04:51 PM
zimbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ravaz
Put headers and have no cats on your car, trust me your exhaust would be pretty damn loud too.
Oh it's loud in a good way, believe me. I love your car, as you know.

I'm sure you're probably right about the ATI getting more HP pound for pound than the Vortech. I can tell you that the ATI dyno charts I've seen for the G35 coupe are way less than the 375hp number you guys with 350Zs are getting. Here are a couple of examples:

ATI on G35 5AT = 307.6rwhp

ATI on G35 6MT = 326.4rwhp

Chaulk it up to the 350Z having a much better ECU program or whatever, but your numbers for the ATI kit are way better than what I've seen on any G35 coupe.

--Steve
Old 01-31-2004, 04:56 PM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't the ATI installs on the G35 coming with some screen or something like that in the intake ? I swear I have read that before.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:20 PM
zimbo

Yeah, the ATI install on the G35 is not ideal. Obviously, that's not a big concern to 99% of the members of this forum, and I apologize to 350Z owners for even detracting from this discussion by mentioning the G35.

But, yeah, the intake filter for the ATI kit won't fit on the G35, so they have to use pantyhose or whatever--something flat--and then there's a filter between the blower and the manifold (as I recall). Sort of a hack and I'm sure it negatively affects psi.

Regardless, I'm sure most people would choose a well-tuned Vortech kit over an untuned ATI kit just as I'm sure most people would choose a well-tuned ATI kit over an untuned Vortech kit. IMO, tuning is going to make more of a difference than brand name.

--Steve

Last edited by zimbo; 01-31-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:00 PM
daking350
Banned

correct me if I am wrong but I thought for some reason the ATI kit for the G35Coupe was only 6lbs of boost...
Old 02-01-2004, 11:17 AM
350zer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zimbo
[B
]Oh it's loud in a good way, believe me.

thats the other problem. the ATI is twice as loud. sounds like something is wrong with your car.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:08 PM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's talking about my exhaust. And the ATI isn't THAT much louder then the Vortech, louder, yes, but not crazy loud.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:11 PM
mprowe350

I think the problem zimbo was refering to is the amount of exhaust noise. It is loud but in a good way. My ATI kit is very loud but only at idle. It sounds like any other supercharger once reved. I like the amount of noise since it is backed by so much power and torque. As far as the max boost levels goes it will vary w/each individual car, for example mine is 8.5psi after purchasing the normal ATI kit which was advertised for 7psi.
Mike
Old 02-01-2004, 12:22 PM
daking350
Banned

You still gotta love the look on the Mustang guys faces when you pull op to a red light and they hear that blower whining!!
It just says BACK OFF MAN!!!
Old 02-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Enron Exec

Man... I wanna beat down on 3 certain Mustangs here in Houston.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:08 PM
little_rod

Well, I am a potential buyer of either kit, so this is a choice that I am in the process of deciding. Now, I am not sure I will even go FI, but if I do, I would have to say that I would go with the Vortech cause of their better history and such.

Earlier it was mentioned that you can buy the ATI tuner kit(which is still more expensive than the Vortech), and it would be good to get a TS reflash (more money) and some more injectors (more money) to go with it. Obviously, this is way more money than the vortech, which pretty much seems to come as a complete package, that is much cheaper and has a better history.

I have neither kit, but as an outsider, the Vortech seems to be a no brainer. Sure most people will defend their individual purchase, but if you can look at it from the position of starting all over again, and having the choice, your decision could change. I have heard that some cars with the ATI kit are so loud that bystanders think there is something wrong with the car. I want something that doesn't take too much away from the natural sound of the car.

Just my thoughts, as an outsider of course.

Last edited by little_rod; 02-01-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:32 AM
narkotic

I woudln't give up my vortech kit if ATI offered me a free one. I personally enjoy a kit that goes on and lets me rev up to redline w/out sweating it. But, I am more of a fan of a "turnkey" solution. Everyone has different ideas/opinions.

Originally posted by little_rod
Well, I am a potential buyer of either kit, so this is a choice that I am in the process of deciding. Now, I am not sure I will even go FI, but if I do, I would have to say that I would go with the Vortech cause of their better history and such.

Earlier it was mentioned that you can buy the ATI tuner kit(which is still more expensive than the Vortech), and it would be good to get a TS reflash (more money) and some more injectors (more money) to go with it. Obviously, this is way more money than the vortech, which pretty much seems to come as a complete package, that is much cheaper and has a better history.

I have neither kit, but as an outsider, the Vortech seems to be a no brainer. Sure most people will defend their individual purchase, but if you can look at it from the position of starting all over again, and having the choice, your decision could change. I have heard that some cars with the ATI kit are so loud that bystanders think there is something wrong with the car. I want something that doesn't take too much away from the natural sound of the car.

Just my thoughts, as an outsider of course.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:16 PM
FX_freak

May I ask you experience guys
Which S/C is engaged by clutch,thus S/C engaged at a given rpm
ATI or Vortech ?
(it helps quieter in idle)
Old 02-02-2004, 08:57 PM
350zer

I have heard that some cars with the ATI kit are so loud that bystanders think there is something wrong with the car. I want something that doesn't take too much away from the natural sound of the car.

Just my thoughts, as an outsider of course. [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly. I went and looked and listened to the JIC Z when it had the stock ATI kit and the first thing I niticed was how load it was. Just didn't sound right. My vortech isn't silent, but it makes way less noise than the ATI.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:39 PM
kjbalto

Default G35 and Z

Originally posted by 350zer
how come nobody posts G35 numbers with ATI. G35 with vortech made what 353RWHP. there is a 27 HP difference from G35 to 350Z. that would put it around 380 right.

There is a 7hp difference between the cars I thought?
Old 02-03-2004, 01:17 PM
narkotic

Default Re: G35 and Z

That 7HP difference is due to a more restrictive air box causing our G35's to be more quieter. After ripping that crap out and slapping a s/c on we have the same setup..

Originally posted by kjbalto
There is a 7hp difference between the cars I thought?
Old 02-03-2004, 03:31 PM
myG35zx

Default Re: Re: G35 and Z

Originally posted by narkotic
That 7HP difference is due to a more restrictive air box causing our G35's to be more quieter. After ripping that crap out and slapping a s/c on we have the same setup..
What PSI and hp/tq are you running? Also, what are your egts?