Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ATI Vortec Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 07:57 AM
myG35zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATI Vortec Differences?

The units appear to be very similar. The Vortec needs an oil plum, the ati not. Does this cover the head unit differences? I priced them both ATI Tuner $5150 and the Vortec $4700. Would it be best to get the vortec due to cost savings and do a TS flash, injectors? I'm torn between the two, but really have no clue!

BTW - I have the Gcoupe Auto.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:45 AM
daking350
Banned

Default Re: ATI Vortec Differences?

Originally posted by myG35zx
The units appear to be very similar. The Vortec needs an oil plum, the ati not. Does this cover the head unit differences? I priced them both ATI Tuner $5150 and the Vortec $4700. Would it be best to get the vortec due to cost savings and do a TS flash, injectors? I'm torn between the two, but really have no clue!

BTW - I have the Gcoupe Auto.
Well ATI does produce the MOST hp and I think has the largest potential for added power. Just remember the supercharger itself wont blow your motor its the tuning or lack of that will...No matter wich unit you choose you will have to address the timing and fuel issue at some point.Better off in the begining rather than the end after you pop a block or two..
I personally dont like taping off my oil pan and plumming oil lines all over the place,its just more room for potential failure of even worse,fire!!..This is the main reason I decided to go SC instead of turbo,in addition to the smooth power curve opposed to the SPIKES turbos have the potental to cause...
ATI has gotten alot of negative press but I feel the ATI itself is a better blower and all around better system...You really have not yet heard alot of bad stuff about the Vortec for two reasons..
1) it too new to the market
2)conservative boost and HP #'s..
If you feel wary about the ATI, then look into an ECU reflash or a piggyback to bump the timing back a bit in the upper RPM's..
I am currently working on installing the Perfect power SMT6 along with my ATI kit,utilizing the Aeromotive DFMU for fuel supply and the ECU pb for timing and fine tuning for a 9lb pulley "COMBINATION"..
whatever choice you make, study the risks involved first and see if FI is right for you and your budget as it does get costly real fast!!Also if you are mechanically inclined yourself it helps when its time to fix little bugs and do maint....
Old 01-31-2004, 12:26 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

And now, back to the real world.....

The ATI kit has blown so many motors because of the stock timing in the car, period........every other forced induction set-up has taken this into account, except for ATI........their fueling system is a bandaid.......ATI does make the most HP, but at a horrible price.......do not even think about jumping into an ATI set-up without pursuing a timing solution at the same time

I can't speak about the Vortech because i don't own it........what i can say is that it looks like they did a quality design on it
Old 01-31-2004, 12:33 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
And now, back to the real world.....

The ATI kit has blown so many motors because of the stock timing in the car, period........every other forced induction set-up has taken this into account, except for ATI........their fueling system is a bandaid.......ATI does make the most HP, but at a horrible price.......do not even think about jumping into an ATI set-up without pursuing a timing solution at the same time

I can't speak about the Vortech because i don't own it........what i can say is that it looks like they did a quality design on it
Thats funny....
I notice you still have a Supercharger on your car...
Old 01-31-2004, 12:35 PM
350zer

Default Re: Re: ATI Vortec Differences?

Originally posted by daking350
Well ATI does produce the MOST hp and I think has the largest potential for added power. Just remember the supercharger itself wont blow your motor its the tuning or lack of that will...No matter wich unit you choose you will have to address the timing and fuel issue at some point.Better off in the begining rather than the end after you pop a block or two..
I personally dont like taping off my oil pan and plumming oil lines all over the place,its just more room for potential failure of even worse,fire!!..This is the main reason I decided to go SC instead of turbo,in addition to the smooth power curve opposed to the SPIKES turbos have the potental to cause...
ATI has gotten alot of negative press but I feel the ATI itself is a better blower and all around better system...You really have not yet heard alot of bad stuff about the Vortec for two reasons..
1) it too new to the market
If you feel wary about the ATI, then look into an ECU reflash or a piggyback to bump the timing back a bit in the upper RPM's..
I am currently working on installing the Perfect power SMT6 along with my ATI kit,utilizing the Aeromotive DFMU for fuel supply and the ECU pb for timing and fine tuning for a 9lb pulley "COMBINATION"..
whatever choice you make, study the risks involved first and see if FI is right for you and your budget as it does get costly real fast!!Also if you are mechanically inclined yourself it helps when its time to fix little bugs and do maint....

boost is boost. the only reason the number is lower is the dyno. what does a G35 do with an ATI. also there is no timing on the ATI and that is why last i heard 10 blown motors. will see over time what happens with the vortech. i guess i need to get my Z dynoed on a dyno jet to solve the low number problem.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:04 PM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey EJ, I'm curious about something. When was the last time you went above 6000 RPM or whatever it was that started detonating on you? Are you still not going above that?
Old 01-31-2004, 01:08 PM
ravaz

Default Re: Re: ATI Vortec Differences?

Originally posted by daking350
Wait, isn't Vortech shipping their kits with 8psi, and ATI is shipping their kits with 7psi?

Reason why ATI kits are making more power, is they have better blowers and are cooled better.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:21 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by ravaz
Hey EJ, I'm curious about something. When was the last time you went above 6000 RPM or whatever it was that started detonating on you? Are you still not going above that?
last time was at the tuner's......i've been driving it below that ever since......but that's still enough HP to put a pretty good whoopin' on somebody

ATI's are putty out 7-8 in general......about the same as Vortech
Old 01-31-2004, 01:27 PM
ravaz

How come you haven't gotten a ECU reflash or J&S to take care of that?
Old 01-31-2004, 01:40 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Time and money.......its a drive that i would have to set aside a couple of days for.........and i've had a ton of stuff going on.......i've got one more hurdle to get over, then it'll be all good.......then i should have the time and the cash to do it all in one shot......injectors, reflash, and dual exhaust........i should be squared away by spring racing season, i think
Old 01-31-2004, 01:56 PM
ravaz

I hear you on the time and money. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2004, 02:19 PM
myG35zx

How is ATI better than Vortec? The fins? Aren't they the same type? As for the ATI, If I were to get the tuner pkg, what else is needed? TS ECU? PE Injectors? J&S?...? Wouldn't all of this produce greater gains on the Vortec as well? If deciding between the two - Vortec and ATI - what setup would be ideal (extra stuff included)?
Old 01-31-2004, 02:37 PM
zimbo

I can't think of any theoretical reason why a Vortech kit tuned to the same A/F and timing retard as an ATI kit would get less HP on the same exact car.

An ATI kit on a 350z with headers, test pipes, a rev limiter set to 7100 rpms and a gawdawful loud exhaust should be expected to get better numbers than a Vortech kit installed on a stock G35 sedan, doncha think?

--Steve
Old 01-31-2004, 02:57 PM
ravaz

Originally posted by zimbo
I can't think of any theoretical reason why a Vortech kit tuned to the same A/F and timing retard as an ATI kit would get less HP on the same exact car.

An ATI kit on a 350z with headers, test pipes, a rev limiter set to 7100 rpms and a gawdawful loud exhaust should be expected to get better numbers than a Vortech kit installed on a stock G35 sedan, doncha think?

--Steve
Steve, you are refering to my car with all this and the 7100 RPM? All I'm going to say is this. Even prior to the headers and test pipes, I was dynoing at over 370 at the wheels @6600 RPM, 7psi & rich. Right now @ 6000 RPM I'm hitting almost 375hp/335tq at the wheels, at just about 6psi. With timing taken out (more then I need), and running too rich (10.0:1@5400 - 11.0:1@6500) I'm hitting 378hp/326tq at the wheels. Plus I don't go up to 7100 ever, all pulls are let off at 6500. Point is, you guys with the Vortech kit have the Splitsecond device, you can fine tune better with it then us with the Aeromotive EFMU. I think people with the ATI kits aren't seeing the full potential because most are running rich, just as I am. Now imagine I had a device where I can fine tune and get the numbers closer to 12.0:1, and I had another pound of boost, I bet I'd be in the 380's, plus more torque right now. Well, I guess next week I'll have to see what's up, I'll fine tune and run another pound or 2 and be well over 420, I bet it. My whole goal out of this is to get as much torque as I can anyway. It's not a contest for me to be better then Vortech, I just feel that the blower ATI is using on this car compared to what Vortech chose to use, is better. Any Vortech car with the same mods I have, and the same ammount of boost, I guarantee I'll have them beat pretty good. Put headers and have no cats on your car, trust me your exhaust would be pretty damn loud too.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:02 PM
jesseenglish

I know my opinion is biased, but I favor the ATI kit over the Vortech, if nothing more than for the huge intercooler that comes with the ATI kit.

It will help reduce the intake temps more and result in higher HP numbers.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:23 PM
spazpilot

I also believe the ati kit is a great kit. just make sure you save your money and buy the tuner kit instead of the complete kit and for timing and fuel use the ts flash along with the 380cc injectors. works way better the ati's fuel system and no timing setup or buy a greddy emange.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:25 PM
Enron Exec

The snails are diffrent too. Im guessing the ATI one could be more efficient and therefore producing the slightly higher numbers.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:26 PM
350zer

Originally posted by jesseenglish
I know my opinion is biased, but I favor the ATI kit over the Vortech, if nothing more than for the huge intercooler that comes with the ATI kit.

It will help reduce the intake temps more and result in higher HP numbers.
both have intercoolers made by spearco. boost is boost. 7lbs of boost from anything is the same. its so many hp for 1 lbs of boost. vortechs tuning is way on the safe side.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:31 PM
350zer

Originally posted by Enron Exec
The snails are diffrent too. Im guessing the ATI one could be more efficient and therefore producing the slightly higher numbers.
how come nobody posts G35 numbers with ATI. G35 with vortech made what 353RWHP. there is a 27 HP difference from G35 to 350Z. that would put it around 380 right.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:03 PM
ravaz

Originally posted by 350zer
both have intercoolers made by spearco. boost is boost. 7lbs of boost from anything is the same. its so many hp for 1 lbs of boost. vortechs tuning is way on the safe side.
So what, are they the same design? No.

Quick Reply: ATI Vortec Differences?