Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Finally boosting the z

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 10:12 AM
gc350z03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am aware of the potential issues but the shop that is building it knows what they are doing, if you are familiar with the fattcat hellcat, that is built by them. I hope they do not take forever on the build, the claim was 2 weeks from when we payed for the parts. That was 2 weeks ago and they are just starting today.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

wait a second, 2 weeks to build the motor, put it all back together and tune? Your likely in for a 'fun' ride then, I already think the shop is full of it getting a time quote like that; I hate to say it but I don't think you or the shop have any idea of what your getting into (despite you 'knowing the potential issues', being aware of them and actually experiencing them are far different affairs; I come from a 2.5 year car being down journey build from shop incompetences, etc... Ironically it all started with a shop that was a well known domestic shop (1K HP Vette, 900HP Camaro's, etc..) in my area, go figure...)

Doesn't matter if they can put a domestic together, could be all simple bolt-on's for what we know considering a hellcat is factory built/supercharged; not like you have to do the same level of effort of work to get big power out of a Z that you don't with that platform.

Last edited by Juztin; 09-14-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

i forsee dugan jr in the making
Old 09-14-2015, 09:00 AM
Juztin

Could make for a good reality 'American Hot Rod' show episode if Boyd was still around. Let's take this little jap import, get 600HP by building it and TT'ing it in 4 days and we'll call it rushzilla.

Joking aside, I might have to sub this just to watch the ensuing calamity that is showing some potential of developing.

Last edited by Juztin; 09-14-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:13 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Juztin
Could make for a good reality 'American Hot Rod' show episode if Boyd was still around. Let's take this little jap import, get 600HP by building it and TT'ing it in 4 days and we'll call it rushzilla.

Joking aside, I might have to sub this just to watch the ensuing calamity that is showing some potential of developing.
^^^^^ THIS.... is so messed up but I'm LMAO!!!

American Hot Rod.... at least that show had the ***** to highlight the friction amongst the "cast members". Unlike Chip Foose's "feel good show", Overhaulin', where everyone gets along, the shop girls are hot and clean, and no one ever says anything bad about how f'd up something REALLY went like when someone stripped the aluminum head by crossthreading a screw-in rocker stud. Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!
Old 09-14-2015, 02:19 PM
gc350z03

I will be sure to update you guys whenever something happens but I think the shop kind of messed up quoting 2 weeks, considering I called today and was answered with the excuse of needing to order new injectors and would have to wait a little while longer.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:54 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gc350z03
I am aware of the potential issues but the shop that is building it knows what they are doing, if you are familiar with the fattcat hellcat, that is built by them. I hope they do not take forever on the build, the claim was 2 weeks from when we payed for the parts. That was 2 weeks ago and they are just starting today.

there is a lot more to know/deal with when converting a car to FI, than simply upgrading a car that already is boosted from the factory.

It is so easy to have such blind confidence going in. these shops want your money and are going to tell you everything positive going in. you are only focusing on the good things. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but the injector thing is a little hint of the reality of things. why wouldn't they have factored in the injectors before now?

what are they using to tune the car?

I still have to wonder why you would throw 15-20 at a 5k car.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:58 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

so they realized injectors, what about fuel pump?
Old 09-15-2015, 05:46 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Are they going to run a stand alone ecu or.....????

Is it gonna be tune with osiris?????

Dyno tune or hand held????

What about the headers and exhaust fab work????

So far, this sounds like a budget build from a budget company.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:13 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by turboed350z

What about the headers and exhaust fab work????

So far, this sounds like a budget build from a budget company.
not sure I would make that stretch.

Greddy twin kit doesn't need headers or really any exhaust fab work (custom). it includes manifolds and should be fine with a catback/test pipes. that should be the very least of concerns
Old 09-15-2015, 09:53 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Zivman
not sure I would make that stretch.

Greddy twin kit doesn't need headers or really any exhaust fab work (custom). it includes manifolds and should be fine with a catback/test pipes. that should be the very least of concerns
My turbo kit required the exhaust to be fabricate since i was running true duel set up. These are problems that could possibly pop up. When building a car, you should go over ALL the optional problems that might pop up and understand things dont go as planned
Old 09-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Zivman

My turbo kit required the exhaust to be fabricate since i was running true duel set up. These are problems that could possibly pop up. When building a car, you should go over ALL the optional problems that might pop up and understand things dont go as planned
not sure what setup you run, but given OP has a greddy kit that is designed to work with stock exhaust, not sure how much custom exhaust work is needed.... that said, exhaust work isn't all the difficult. I'd worry much more about how the setup will be fueled and tuned... along with engine machining, tolerances/clearances, oil squirters, head studs and head gaskets... stuff like that

like I said, exhaust would be the least of my concerns

Last edited by Zivman; 09-15-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:49 PM
turboed350z

not sure what setup you run, but given OP has a greddy kit that is designed to work with stock exhaust, not sure how much custom exhaust work is needed.... that said, exhaust work isn't all the difficult. I'd worry much more about how the setup will be fueled and tuned... along with engine machining, tolerances/clearances, oil squirters, head studs and head gaskets... stuff like that

like I said, exhaust would be the least of my concerns
But if the shop cant cover its basics, then i dont think theyre equipped for the bigger part of the install.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:31 PM
gc350z03

I am spending the 15-20k on a 5500 dollar car because I like the car, and hopefully I will eventually have the money to redo everything on it. It should not look like a 5000 dollar car once it is repainted, has some nicer wheels, basically redone interior, etc. My plans are to keep the car for as long as possible until I am out of college and can afford a new car on my own. As for tuning what I was told is that they will dyno tune it and put different maps and such settings on a handheld tuner for me to control on the go and that they are going to replace the ecu. They have informed me that they have built a couple of twin turbo zs before and that they will do it right.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:10 PM
turboed350z

All im gonna say is good luck. Building the engine is only half the work. The 350z isnt exactly the best for laying the power to the ground. And be warned, no matter how well built, there will be problems that pops up.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:45 PM
gc350z03

Thanks, I understand it is not gonna be a perfect car, which is also why after I save up some more money at my new job I am going to buy an eg civic for a daily. After doing so the z will basically be taken out on weekends and to special occasions.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Zivman

I am spending the 15-20k on a 5500 dollar car because I like the car, and hopefully I will eventually have the money to redo everything on it. It should not look like a 5000 dollar car once it is repainted, has some nicer wheels, basically redone interior, etc. My plans are to keep the car for as long as possible until I am out of college and can afford a new car on my own. As for tuning what I was told is that they will dyno tune it and put different maps and such settings on a handheld tuner for me to control on the go and that they are going to replace the ecu. They have informed me that they have built a couple of twin turbo zs before and that they will do it right.
why not sell the car, take your 5k, add it to the 15-20k and buy a nice car? not some pig you are trying to put lipstick on. with nearly 200k miles, the reality is, it's a beat up, worn out nissan regardless if it has a new paint job and turbos.

oh, to be young again. just wish I wrote everything down when I had it all figured out
Old 09-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Zivman

But if the shop cant cover its basics, then i dont think theyre equipped for the bigger part of the install.
as much of a realist (pessimist) as I am, it's hard to make that call given the info at hand. should there be concern? heck yeah, even if the shop has built a 100 of this exact car/setup, but to say they aren't equipped is a stretch given you don't know the shop nor have you spoken to them directly
Old 09-15-2015, 07:39 PM
turboed350z

as much of a realist (pessimist) as I am, it's hard to make that call given the info at hand. should there be concern? heck yeah, even if the shop has built a 100 of this exact car/setup, but to say they aren't equipped is a stretch given you don't know the shop nor have you spoken to them directly

Youre right, but with a respectable shop, i doubt they would forget that theyll need to upgrade the injector when theyre forcing more air into the engine... but like you said, i dont know the shoo, i only know what is present. I wouldnt trust a shop that will throw on a turbo and forget the need for injectors. Infact, most kit even offers an upgrade injector option.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Juztin

...put different maps and such settings on a handheld tuner for me to control on the go and that they are going to replace the ecu...

Quick Reply: Finally boosting the z