Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Finally boosting the z

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 02:06 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i see what you are saying
Old 10-04-2015, 06:01 PM
gc350z03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said I would see how it fits once I get new wheels/tires before I make any choices, and also I plan on doing the jdmflares kit soon so I will need to take that into account.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:23 PM
gc350z03

So I hate to say everyone else was right, but it is close to 3 months since I dropped off the car and the build is just now closing up. I will hopefully have the car back by the end of the week once they finish breaking it in and ensure that it is performing where it is supposed to. I also do not know the total cost for the build but I believe it was close to what everyone else was telling me it would be, ie 15-20k. Thanks everyone for the input and I will be sure to take some pictures and videos for the thread once I get it back.
Also I only have one picture from visiting the shop since the first thing on my mind was not pictures it was appreciating the car. In the photo the car is stripped down.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

hopefully for that kind of money, they'll buff out your head lights...
Old 12-02-2015, 10:39 AM
gc350z03

They're doing the headlight restoration, I've done it before but it just went back to the yellow again after like 2 months. I'm getting new headlights once I get payed anyway.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
hopefully for that kind of money, they'll buff out your head lights...
No effin way that happens would cost a tube of toothpaste GL op hopefully they have built it with pride...
Old 12-02-2015, 10:55 AM
gc350z03

Thanks, I hope they built it with pride too, I'm just hoping it doesn't break a ton but it's a modified car so it probably will. It's not my daily anymore since I got a motorcycle so hopefully only driving it every so often will help save some wear.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:00 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by gc350z03
They're doing the headlight restoration, I've done it before but it just went back to the yellow again after like 2 months. I'm getting new headlights once I get payed anyway.
did you clear coat them after you did them, if not that is why it happened again
Old 12-02-2015, 11:15 AM
gc350z03

No I didn't clear coat them when I did it before, but after it came back it didn't bother me enough to fix them again.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:09 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

All you need is some toothpaste, a little water and soft cloth. They will shine like new for years unless you drive through dust storms everyday.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:54 PM
gc350z03

Originally Posted by rcdash
All you need is some toothpaste, a little water and soft cloth. They will shine like new for years unless you drive through dust storms everyday.
I have heard about this but I got my paycheck today and ordered those new headlights that look like a c7 vette in the front, with the led running lights.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:43 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Gotta clear coat them or the clarity only lasts a month. In for pics of these c7 vette lights.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:05 PM
travlee
Master

my bets are they are the spyder brand lights
Old 12-04-2015, 08:38 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
my bets are they are the spyder brand lights
I know... such nice performance build and tacky lights...
Old 12-04-2015, 11:38 AM
gc350z03

http://m.ebay.com/itm/For-03-05-Nissan-350Z-SMD-LED-DRL-HID-Projector-Headlights-Head-Lamps-Black-/291365252165?nav=SEARCH . Those are the headlights, I'm also hoping to get new wheels and aiming for a widebody kit around the end of January.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:08 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by gc350z03
For 03 05 Nissan 350Z SMD LED DRL HID Projector Headlights Head Lamps Black | eBay . Those are the headlights, I'm also hoping to get new wheels and aiming for a widebody kit around the end of January.
Yah I figured... Its ok I guess, at least keep stock look... I like more custom.

I would recommend you focus on, getting the build complete, suspension...
the body stuff can come out next.... Remember DONT BE A GARAGE QUEEN, dont be just a show car troll....
Old 12-05-2015, 04:33 PM
gc350z03

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
Yah I figured... Its ok I guess, at least keep stock look... I like more custom.

I would recommend you focus on, getting the build complete, suspension...
the body stuff can come out next.... Remember DONT BE A GARAGE QUEEN, dont be just a show car troll....
Don't worry the car has some suspension work done to it already, I do not remember the full details (only mods the previous owner did) but after driving a stock 350z the handling between mine and my buddies was night and day. And I do not plan on being a show car only, I already go to the dragstrip on the fridays I am not working or going to the car meet. Plus there is a local track called msr houston where I plan to start road racing soon.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:01 AM
boostedgt350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good for you!

Hi there!
Just wanted to chime in as I have not been to this forum in years.
First thing is that you build the car for you!
I did tons of research and I was convinced that all I had to do was slap on my turbonetics kit and I'd be done... Well I built my G35 coupe back in 2004/2005 I ordered one of the first turbonetics kit for the 5AT. I had a local shop install it and of course an electronic boost controller. Long story short the car lasted 3 days! Yes 3 days! they over boosted the car and bent all the crank rods. I ended up rebuilding the block and heads.
Back then there was zero to no aftermarket support. I ended up with custom Pistons rods ect.
Point is that with theses types of mods it's bound to happen but if you do it right it's awesome!

Fast forward to 2016, I still have my G.
I since removed the electronic and went manual boostcontroller which is great. Holds true. My G has full return fuel system. Fully built motor, stock auto 5AT nothing done to it! Nothing I'm even amazed ,
Also Still on the Ecu reflash from turbonetics running 12psi and I also run a 75 shoot of nitrous on a 10psi switch that cuts off once I boost over ten psi. Car has never given me one issue since!
And I used to track it a lot when I had more time and I never baby it when she's out and about.

Point is I think your off to a great start! Just remember ask a lot of questions and at the end of the day it's your money if you pay for good service you deserve service! Good luck

Oh yeah and my wife drives a 1995 240sx that we bought with 174,000 miles on it yeah we invested over $ 30,000 true but she's a beast and breaks necks wherever she goes....

fully built ka24det , full stand alone full interior ac/ps/ blue tooth sound system , leather interior, widebody, carbon fiber hood and over fenders and work wheels just to name a few mods, list is long...pushing 25psi making serious numbers with a2step nitrous setup!
😜😜
So build that old lady up and make her in to the Fairlady Z she was born to be!!
Don't be swayed by negative comments on here that I've read!!

am spending the 15-20k on a 5500 dollar car because I like the car, and hopefully I will eventually have the money to redo everything on it. It should not look like a 5000 dollar car once it is repainted, has some nicer wheels, basically redone interior, etc. My plans are to keep the car for as long as possible until I am out of college and can afford a new car on my own. As for tuning what I was told is that they will dyno tune it and put different maps and such settings on a handheld tuner for me to control on the go and that they are going to replace the ecu. They have informed me that they have built a couple of twin turbo zs before and that they will do it right.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-10-2016, 06:43 AM
gc350z03

Originally Posted by boostedgt350
Hi there!
Just wanted to chime in as I have not been to this forum in years.
First thing is that you build the car for you!
I did tons of research and I was convinced that all I had to do was slap on my turbonetics kit and I'd be done... Well I built my G35 coupe back in 2004/2005 I ordered one of the first turbonetics kit for the 5AT. I had a local shop install it and of course an electronic boost controller. Long story short the car lasted 3 days! Yes 3 days! they over boosted the car and bent all the crank rods. I ended up rebuilding the block and heads.
Back then there was zero to no aftermarket support. I ended up with custom Pistons rods ect.
Point is that with theses types of mods it's bound to happen but if you do it right it's awesome!

Fast forward to 2016, I still have my G.
I since removed the electronic and went manual boostcontroller which is great. Holds true. My G has full return fuel system. Fully built motor, stock auto 5AT nothing done to it! Nothing I'm even amazed ,
Also Still on the Ecu reflash from turbonetics running 12psi and I also run a 75 shoot of nitrous on a 10psi switch that cuts off once I boost over ten psi. Car has never given me one issue since!
And I used to track it a lot when I had more time and I never baby it when she's out and about.

Point is I think your off to a great start! Just remember ask a lot of questions and at the end of the day it's your money if you pay for good service you deserve service! Good luck

Oh yeah and my wife drives a 1995 240sx that we bought with 174,000 miles on it yeah we invested over $ 30,000 true but she's a beast and breaks necks wherever she goes....

fully built ka24det , full stand alone full interior ac/ps/ blue tooth sound system , leather interior, widebody, carbon fiber hood and over fenders and work wheels just to name a few mods, list is long...pushing 25psi making serious numbers with a2step nitrous setup!
😜😜
So build that old lady up and make her in to the Fairlady Z she was born to be!!
Don't be swayed by negative comments on here that I've read!!

am spending the 15-20k on a 5500 dollar car because I like the car, and hopefully I will eventually have the money to redo everything on it. It should not look like a 5000 dollar car once it is repainted, has some nicer wheels, basically redone interior, etc. My plans are to keep the car for as long as possible until I am out of college and can afford a new car on my own. As for tuning what I was told is that they will dyno tune it and put different maps and such settings on a handheld tuner for me to control on the go and that they are going to replace the ecu. They have informed me that they have built a couple of twin turbo zs before and that they will do it right.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words, the shop actually just finished the build yesterday. Of course thats after 4 months of waiting, I am going to test drive the car on monday and then they are going to do a last once over and then I get my z back!
Old 01-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

You still made out really good for 4 months with all the work being done, dunno the shop who did it for you was but hopefully its a solid build to enjoy.

Quick Reply: Finally boosting the z