Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Looking to turbo the G

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 05:07 PM
Rainy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to turbo the G

Hey guys so I'm new to forced induction and I'm really wanting a sizable power gain for the 05 g35 5at coupe. Yes I have done research even though this is still a noob thread it's more concerning what I can do on a budget. I have a couple questions -

If I go the stock internals route - how much can I expect to spend on a complete turbo or supercharger kit (most likely used)? Will the 350z kits work exactly the same on the G35s or is there modding needed?

From what I've seen the Turbknetics kit looks to be the cheapest at around $2500 but doesnt include fuel management? 400rwhp would be great, will stock injectors and a walbro 255 be enough for that?

If I wait on forced induction and buy a cam, how much can I expect to pay with install and what all will I need? Just cam or do I need heads or porting as well?

Right now my car has the usual bolt ons - carbon fiber z tube and jwt pop charger , Injen true dual exhaust, 5/16 plenum spacer, A/C belt removed.

I am used to 400rwhp and 410 gears... my old car was a Ls1 trans am before it got totalled. I do all my mods/work myself, just never done fi. I love this g35 but it needs power bad.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:51 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

If you have not already done so then it is highly suggested to read through this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/360064-forced-induction-for-noobs.html

If
you have, do it again, several times.

Realistically, how much are you looking to spend and how much power are you looking to make? Your budget is going to limit your power since 400hp is a stretch on a stock engine without reliability concerns.

I'll be honest, not to sound like a d-bag, but you need to continue doing research non-stop until your project is complete. This is not as easy as purchasing a 400hp car off a car lot. There is a lot of time and research that must be invested when going FI if you plan to have something fast and reliable.
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 10:35 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

must be that time of year ... all the turbo-builders are coming out of the woodwork...

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
400hp is a stretch on a stock engine without reliability concerns.
you could probably get to 400hp or possibly a little more on an OEM block but your limiting factor is going to be the 5speed auto ... so what 813 said, 400 is your roof...

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
continue doing research non-stop until your project is complete
this is a really good statement that I've never previously heard but rings pretty damn true...

Originally Posted by Rainy
wanting a sizable power gain
it's more concerning what I can do on a budget.
nope ... pick one or the other

If I go the stock internals route - how much can I expect to spend on a complete turbo or supercharger kit (most likely used)? Will the 350z kits work exactly the same on the G35s or is there modding needed?
Your basic rear mount turbo kit will be the least expensive to achieve your 400hp.

Will the 350z kits work exactly the same on the G35s or is there modding needed?
Theyre two different cars - how would the kits be exactly the same?

From what I've seen the Turbknetics kit looks to be the cheapest at around $2500 but doesnt include fuel management? 400rwhp would be great, will stock injectors and a walbro 255 be enough for that?
It's the cheapest because it's uses the cheapest components - you get what you pay for ... Can this kit make 400hp, likely yes it can (I just fabricated one) but you cannot push a ebay-turbo kit like you can push a high-end kit. So if you are going to beat on the car it'll crap-out and break on you ... remember, you get what you pay for. If you want a $2500 turbo kit you will get a $2500 turbo kit.

No, you will need larger injectors ... 500cc injectors and a 255lph is probably the minimum. Plan on spending $500 or so on Uprev, then plan another $500 for dyno & tuning time.

If I wait on forced induction and buy a cam, how much can I expect to pay with install and what all will I need? Just cam or do I need heads or porting as well?
Take this option off the table...this is well into the $4k to $5k range for minimal gains.

I am used to 400rwhp and 410 gears... my old car was a Ls1 trans am before it got totalled. I do all my mods/work myself, just never done fi. I love this g35 but it needs power bad.
more research ...
did it have a fire-chicken on the hood?
pictures?

Last edited by bealljk; 02-18-2020 at 11:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joetor (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 12:05 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by travlee:
2004Black350z (02-20-2020), Conway_160 (02-19-2020), Painterguy39 (02-19-2020), ZMoneyPIT (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 06:14 AM
0taku

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

If you’re trying to budget power, going vortech might be your cheapest bet. Itll probably be a little easier on the weak 5at.

The biggest problem I faced when I boosted, was the first build @ 494whp on a stock bottom on a DE didn’t really feel as satisfying as I thought.

It’s painfully difficult trying to build the 350 to be faster than the heads/cam Vette, and was very discouraging until I sold the damn thing.(the Vette)

So honestly you’re best off with a few bolt ons to keep the reliability in check. I don’t see a 5at g35 being too promising if you came from LS cars.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:40 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by 0taku
If you’re trying to budget power, going vortech might be your cheapest bet. Itll probably be a little easier on the weak 5at.

The biggest problem I faced when I boosted, was the first build @ 494whp on a stock bottom on a DE didn’t really feel as satisfying as I thought.

It’s painfully difficult trying to build the 350 to be faster than the heads/cam Vette, and was very discouraging until I sold the damn thing.(the Vette)

So honestly you’re best off with a few bolt ons to keep the reliability in check. I don’t see a 5at g35 being too promising if you came from LS cars.
gasps.... why would you do such a thing!!!
Old 02-19-2020, 07:00 AM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
gasps.... why would you do such a thing!!!
Whatever happened to your C6, Travlee? 🤔😂
Old 02-19-2020, 07:05 AM
travlee
Master

a year lapse of judgement
Old 02-19-2020, 08:25 AM
Rainy

Damn guys I knew I was going to get some flaming but yeesh! I know cars lol. I have to ask these questions being new to the platform and new to FI. I know you get what you pay for, that is always true. I'm wanting this car to be a fun daily driver with some power. I definitely wish it was manual... maybe I'll look for a stick g. But this car is so clean and runs strong.

Here's a few pics of 2 of my cars - Camaros. I dont have the trans am pics on this phone but these were really nice builds I did as well.

The red car was a LT1 built to a forged 383 stroker, NA - fully built top to bottom suspension rear end everything - never got it on a dyno but it was running low 11s in the 1/4. Sold

The white car was my 30th anniversary 6 speed - full bolt ons 410 gears Auburn posi unit lt headers 3" true duals FULL bolt ons. MGW shifter.. loved that car. Bout 400rwhp. Totalled

Unfortunately the only pics I've got left are mid build pics and pics of me wet sanding the paint so the cars look kinda shitty but you get the idea. The couch is about half the parts that were going into the white car

Old 02-19-2020, 08:45 AM
Rainy

Heres some more random pics of my ollllld Marauder clone , my old Buick Roadmaster and some more parts I went through swapping on and off finding what I liked most. It's not g35 stuff but still if you love cars you can appreciate 😊 sorry got a bit carried away lol. Man I wish I had pics of everything this isnt even 1/4

Last edited by Rainy; 02-19-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:09 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

yea - were a bunch of ******!

lol … as long as you have thick skin and take some critism you'll be fine...

nice setups

if it was me, I'd find a salvaged title 350z 6mt to build … leave the G alone and/or sell it and do the work on the Z33 chassis.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:17 PM
Rainy

Originally Posted by bealljk
yea - were a bunch of ******!

lol … as long as you have thick skin and take some critism you'll be fine...

nice setups

if it was me, I'd find a salvaged title 350z 6mt to build … leave the G alone and/or sell it and do the work on the Z33 chassis.
Ty!

And to answer some other responses realistically 400rwhp is the ballpark I know it will be probably less with the 5at. I would like to spend maybe $4k total if that would be possible.

And while the 350z and g35 arent the same cars, saying "they are two totally different cars why would the kits be the same" is a stretch lol. Same platform. Same engine. Trans. Rear. Exhaust minus an extension.. suspension... I ask as in will I be able to buy a 350z kit and what changes would need to be made? Or I have to get a g35 kit?

I saw a suggestion to go with a rear mount turbo kit - is the STS universal kit what I would need? That seems like a good route budget wise for what I'm trying to achieve.

Last edited by Rainy; 02-19-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:13 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Ty!

And to answer some other responses realistically 400rwhp is the ballpark I know it will be probably less with the 5at. I would like to spend maybe $4k total if that would be possible.

And while the 350z and g35 arent the same cars, saying "they are two totally different cars why would the kits be the same" is a stretch lol. Same platform. Same engine. Trans. Rear. Exhaust minus an extension.. suspension... I ask as in will I be able to buy a 350z kit and what changes would need to be made? Or I have to get a g35 kit?
not the same platform, the g is longer wheel base, different rear end (3.3 I believe?) different driveshafts, different suspensions (albeit minor), minor changes on the intake track, different front end (as it relates to the cooling setup).

I saw a suggestion to go with a rear mount turbo kit - is the STS universal kit what I would need? That seems like a good route budget wise for what I'm trying to achieve.
I did a rear-mount turbo kit on a 350z and I'm doing one on a G35 now. If you want me to fabricate one while I do this one let me know. It'd take some coordination but it would be possible. Shoot me a PM.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:17 PM
Rainy

I did a rear-mount turbo kit on a 350z and I'm doing one on a G35 now. If you want me to fabricate one while I do this one let me know. It'd take some coordination but it would be possible. Shoot me a PM.
PM sent, let's see what we can do😎
Old 02-20-2020, 06:26 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

At OP-
Some of these guys are way ahead of me in knowledge and I respect them. Actually it might be easier to do a simple Google search, "What supercharger/turbo will fit (your engine/car.)" Take the results and go to the manufacturer 's website and compare the different applications for each one. If your car isnt listed it either won't fit or might need fabbing. You could even call them directly for advice. When I bought my used Vortech kit it was missing hardware. I called them and they were super helpful.
Gl on your project!
Old 02-20-2020, 06:34 AM
Rainy

Originally Posted by jhc
At OP-
Some of these guys are way ahead of me in knowledge and I respect them. Actually it might be easier to do a simple Google search, "What supercharger/turbo will fit (your engine/car.)" Take the results and go to the manufacturer 's website and compare the different applications for each one. If your car isnt listed it either won't fit or might need fabbing. You could even call them directly for advice. When I bought my used Vortech kit it was missing hardware. I called them and they were super helpful.
Gl on your project!
Well I know obviously which kits are available for the G35, my question/s were more on total cost, used vs new, and if guys use 350z kits or not.

I'm very interested in doing a rear mount setup possibly as they seem to be much easier to do but I'm trying to learn and research thoroughly before doing anything.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:48 AM
Mully

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It's worth mentioning that turbo kits, even high quality ones, rarely just bolt directly on. Most of the issue require some sort of custom fabrication, so if that doesn't sound like your cup of tea maybe go Vortec. You can guarantee that a generic turbo kit will require extensive fabrication and knowledge of how turbo set ups work to install correctly. If I were going that route, I would buy high quality turbos and surrounding parts and build it all from scratch. That would likely be cheaper than buying a quality new kit.

With $4k you're going to be stuck in the used market, short of a garbage eBay kit. Check out the Donut Media Hi-Low episode on YouTube where they install a $2500 eBay turbo kit and an $8k JWT TT kit so you know what you're getting into.

Turbos and bolt-ons are two very different worlds. So long as you're good with making some custom parts, pull the trigger and pick up a turbo kit.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:54 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

This is probably the only option I would go. Could be done in a weekend pretty quickly for under $1500 easy
Old 02-20-2020, 08:22 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
This is probably the only option I would go. Could be done in a weekend pretty quickly for under $1500 easy
We're a little bit higher than $15 but it's custom made to the car and there is a lot of fabrication and welding that goes into it. I think we use two couplers between the turbo and the intercooler and one coupler between the intercooler and the TB. Its definitely cleaner and were using higher-end 6061 tube for the charge pipes.

I did the blue Z33 and the owners brother (who has the g35) wants it done on his car - if OP wants me to fabricate the same kit (assuming it's the same or close-enough car) I'm all about it.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:14 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

I use ebay turbo's so that's where most of the cost savings got to. I'd pay like $120 for a turbo

Quick Reply: Looking to turbo the G