Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

been awhile

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:50 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default been awhile

its been awhile and im bored so figured i would post a update. my old setup was completely tore apart and the car is currently going through a major revision as funds permit(im no longer working except odd jobs that pop in, which is rare since im still building the new clean room. living off my retirement and housing allowance for going to school.), plus i added some vehicles to my stable. The car is currently getting a 25.1G chassis(faster than 7.5 second quarter, maximum of 2800 lbs), with a built 427 using twin nlx 76mm turbos(1400 hp each), built 4l80e with billet overdrive section(i intend to both drag and hit the texas mile), chromoly 9 inch, 33x15 tires, 7 inch extended wheel base at the front with a 45 inch overhang. pretty much a steel bodied pro mod. in the pictures of the cage i switched up what i was going to do halfway through hence the mild steel being cut out for chromoly. the circuit board is something im offering for sale now(i have a video of a finished one minus the epoxy filled case) because no one offered high current setup and i needed something for my coils(IGN-1A coils pull 12 amps EACH at 5ms dwell to ignite methanol at 40+ psi and ill be running 8 of them lol). it is likely going to take at least two years to finish considering this is a six figure car and im a full time student now, none of my engineering classes are exactly easy either.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:55 PM
jerryd87

some of the other stuff i have going on, the jeep is getting a 5.9 cummins, bags, wood floored bed. not worth anything but the last new vehicle my grandpa bought before he passed away, he bought it back in 88 a year after i was born and passed away last year. the 4.0 has 250k on it and the chassis about 450k but its rough. avalanche is getting a fresh 5.3L with a lsa blower then the aluminum 5.3L will get rebuilt and thrown in the z28 with a turbo. the bike i have no plans for right now but i will say bags with a 300 rear tire and 18 degree front would look sexy lol(i get alot of questions why i have so many vehicles at this point i just tell people im working towards one for every day of the week.)

Last edited by jerryd87; 04-11-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:35 PM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, I myself am backhalving mine currently. Fabricated Ford 9" Strange center and axles, QA1s etc...Keeping the VQ , but turning it up now that fuel has been solved. Good to see you at this, I'm gonna have to follow this build.

Last edited by 350zion; 04-12-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:16 PM
jerryd87

i started out still intending it to be a multi purpose car but that has completely left me. this car will be drag and texas mile, im going to have to renew my pro mod license though. hoping to hit 250 in the mile as well which should be possible with 2500 hp in a 2600 hp car. im hoping to have it in texas in two years if im lucky. i need to get a new tubing bender i broke my affordable bender four times trying to do 90 degree bends so im going to get a pro tools 105. keeping the vq would just have such a pitiful power band and the stresses would be insane, a 6 bolt lsx should handle the power alot better and will be able to use alot smaller injectors and fuel pump since running less boost. i can get away with a single crank driven aeromotive pump for 1k with a lsx, if i tried the vq i would likely have to go with a $5000 waterman unit(methanol takes alot of fuel lol) or try to run dual aeromotive crank driven pumps. one i get the new bender i can finish the chassis and start saving for the rear and work on suspension ect.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:23 PM
armt350z

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Very cool, can't wait to see how this turns out.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:53 AM
350zion
Professional

Originally Posted by jerryd87
i started out still intending it to be a multi purpose car but that has completely left me. this car will be drag and texas mile, im going to have to renew my pro mod license though. hoping to hit 250 in the mile as well which should be possible with 2500 hp in a 2600 hp car. im hoping to have it in texas in two years if im lucky. i need to get a new tubing bender i broke my affordable bender four times trying to do 90 degree bends so im going to get a pro tools 105. keeping the vq would just have such a pitiful power band and the stresses would be insane, a 6 bolt lsx should handle the power alot better and will be able to use alot smaller injectors and fuel pump since running less boost. i can get away with a single crank driven aeromotive pump for 1k with a lsx, if i tried the vq i would likely have to go with a $5000 waterman unit(methanol takes alot of fuel lol) or try to run dual aeromotive crank driven pumps. one i get the new bender i can finish the chassis and start saving for the rear and work on suspension ect.
Glad to hear your committed to this. Get some good tools, they'll go a long way. As for the VQ I totally get where your coming from, I've considered swaps, but right now my motor is solid and I'm not ready to swap it out. I've thought about a few different power plants, and the only one that I may consider is a coyote. But that's long long away, as for now I'm trying to stay all Nissan. As for fuel, I hear you on meth, you'd have to run a ton, I'm running E85, and stepping up to E98 drums. Aeromotive MechanIcal pump will be sufficient, with a 2 gal cell.
Your car, will rip no doubt at 2500hp in a 2600lb chassis. I've got a friend with a 2500lb 3/4 chassis with a 2J @around 900whp running 7's. The chassis and weight savings makes a huge difference. Can't wait to see this finished.

I do have a question, you said you stretched the front end. Where are you getting the fiberglass nose from? And I'm assuming, door panels trunk etc. If you don't mind me asking.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:03 AM
jerryd87

the aeromotive should be enough, barely ill need just over 3000 lbs/hr fuel at 75 psi. they have the pump rated about 3300 lbs/hr at 60 psi at 6000 engine rpm which will likely be around peak power with a 7500 rpm shift point. the coyote dosnt really have anything available at the caliber im going after yet even as it stands my engine will run me about 17k just in parks and thats with me oringing the block myself and only paying to have the heads cut for the receiver groove.(since i dont have the $1600 tool to do that). this thing is getting pinned caps, roller bearing cam, billet centerweight crank, billet rods, dry sump, ect.

the front end im doing myself thats what the one picture is im epoxying and fiberglassing the factory front end togeather for a base then will make cardboard cutouts of the back portion to add to the end to extend it. will be some foam work as well to get the 45 inches of overhang. once its all done ill make a mold using that as a plug and build a carbon one. doing similar with the hatch and doors. dont need any structure from the body since crash safety comes from the chassis and funny car cage. i do as much as i can in house.

Trending Topics

Old 04-13-2016, 07:38 AM
jerryd87

sadly at this caliber that im going after everything is custom shop built or very expensive. my turbos with billet back plates, lightweight turbine and adjustable race cover are more for just the headunits then most twin kits cost for a complete kit(if you notice the price starts at 4200, fully optioned they are about 5500 each). granted 28 lbs each for 1400 hp turbos is amazing lol. luckily i wont need an intercooler. ECU setup isnt cheap either i was going to go fuel tech till i saw a fully optioned system is about 8k because everything is extra boxs so ill probably end up with the holley dominator system or another infinity.

just the bare chassis no suspension, four link, or anything else i charge 6k for and thats either bare chassis or welded into a car. thats actually cheap too most shops charge 7-9k for a welded bare chassis.
http://www.bullseyepower.com/product.../#.Vw5ncDArI2w

Last edited by jerryd87; 04-13-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:34 PM
350zion
Professional

Lol yes I checked in to a 25.2 chassis. Can get one for about 8 or 9k then install myself but this is the first time I'm taking on a project like this so back half seemed best to start at. It's actually not that hard at all. Once you have everything in place and start looking at what needs to be cut, trimmed, braced etc..
The coyote motor was something I'd looked at to get in the 1600hp range. I Kno where your going and I looked in to that as well. Trying to find a Nissan motor to do it tho as right now I'd still like to keep the Nissan theme. There are plenty of things I can do with the VQ to get it up around 1500hp or thereabouts but who knows. I'll cross that bridge wen I get to it. Right now I'm probably good to right around 1200hp. My car currently is maxed out with fuel at just under 1000k hence the bigger fuel system.. Which I think btw is the same automotive pump were both talking about. I recall those flow rates that you listed..
I looked in to fuel tech set up also, very pricey for their boxes, but well worth it. I'm on a Haltech standalone which is doing jus fine for where going at the moment.
I commend you on the body panels. I am not ready to lay carbon, but I'm sure in to see how your work comes out. I had been looking for a 1 piece nose pre made which would allow me to have so much more room to switch things up front. For one, switching to twins mounted up front, smaller radiator, air to water cooler, fuel cell etc...

I'm sorry if I'm "jacking your thread" I'm just enthusiastic about what I do and it seems you are on the same page. Keep at it man!!!

Last edited by 350zion; 04-13-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:50 AM
jerryd87

yah its honestly not hard, i just do everything myself so for me i already have half the work into the tube chassis to backhalf the car plus the extended wheel base will help high speed stability some too. ive been tigging everything so the going is slow especially on the wheel tubs, the tub is only 24 guage so its super easy to burn through when trying to weld to the much thicker outer quarter panel. ive warped the quarter all to hell. i have one end capped going to run a couple inchs of bead in the middle then cap the other end and seam seal the rest. straight up building a pro mod is probably a little cheaper in the end if starting from scratch but i had the car already.

if you really want to keep it nissan a couple pro mods are running the tb48de over in australia from what i hear.

the aeromotive pump im talking about is a crank driven unit, 5k hp gas 2500 methanol. http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product...ive-fuel-pump/.

the fuel tech isnt bad to first get into, its all the add ons that kill you. the dominator ecu i like because 2500 will get me into everything with a touchscreen display.

i did find one company with a extended front but you have to buy the entire pro mod body and its 10k
Old 04-26-2016, 02:34 AM
350zion
Professional

I appreciate your input, but I do not wish to take up time and space in your thread on my car. I am well aware of the Australian pro mods you speak of as well as the Canadian guys. Right here in New York Vinny ten built some of the fastest pro mod 350z's for performance Nissan. Blah blah blah.. Point is I commend you on trying to build your own chassis. That's a huge project to take on yourself and I'm all for anyone doing their own work. My posts were in no way a weak attempt to challenge you and your goals. I can't wait to see time slips*!! Should be great!!! Good luck...
Old 04-27-2016, 04:28 PM
jerryd87

its all good man things are going slow, especially with finals week coming up i only spend a couple hours a week on it. this showed up yesterday so some of the time is going to fab a stand for it. for those looking you can get this bender cheap from toolpedia and then the pro tools 105 dies fit it(the woodward ones are kinda shitty)

some of the work i might end up doing myself because people dont seem to like to answer. trying to figure out if im going to have clearance problems on the rods with a 60mm cam core due to running aluminum. LME didnt want to give me a quote on larger lifter bores, roller bearing cam bearings, and restrictor for the top end and piston squirters. i might have to end up fabbing my own tooling to do it myself once i get a mill. which might mean ill need larger than i was expecting.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:14 PM
350zion
Professional

Any updates???
Old 06-21-2016, 01:43 PM
jerryd87

some minor ones, cramming calculus into a 6 week summer course is kicking my *** and the new girlfriend has made me do outdoors work. i actually started to redo the inner upper frame rails last night because i didnt like how i had them, the funny car cage is also started. picked up the kirkey recently for $60 and got a 9 inch for mockup at the flea market for $10 i have to call mcamis to get four link brackets for it since its not what he normally stocks it has smaller axle tubes and i dont need chromoly for mockup. also had a three week ordeal getting the die for the new bender because parts fell out of the box so ive only been able to bend tubing a week and a half now. you can see the absurdly high inner upper frame rails i had in it before bending new ones.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:56 AM
jerryd87

actually i wont be updating this anymore, i see its even worse than when i left its nothing but trolls and dreamers here most of the people posting dont have any clue that several concepts which are now considered gospel are ones that i introduced ill stick to the bullet where its all actual builders and racers.
The following users liked this post:
KingBaby (03-16-2017)
Old 09-14-2016, 05:40 AM
350zion
Professional

Work looks good! I picked up the same kirkey and have been slow at mine. Between work, and trying to take days off to rest. I agree this place isn't the place for something like our projects, you'll get no real useful input and trolls telling you how it should be done. Always been like that here, you'll be better off on the other site. Good luck, hope to find your work elsewhere to keep up with the progress...