Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

F/I strains engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:43 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Making the same HP/TQ I don't see a difference at all...

Aside from the fact N/A similar to a super charger and the power is linier out right. Where a turbo has to spool and is slightly more aggressive in some applications. Im not turbo yoda by ANY MEANS... Im just going about this via my experience, knowledge and general sense I have in both the automotive industry, engineering and design that I went and took school for along side my actual experience with both working on cars and designing parts and materials.

But my understanding is PSI is PSI, stress from the 2 making the same power should be about the same if done properly. The delivery might be different but that's about all as far as I can see. Also F/I is forced. Where N/A is "natural". So if the set up for the turbo isn't correct the turbo will still force the air in, where the fuel or rest will not be ready or if turned beyond the cars limits....

But if both set up properly. Both should effect the motor the same. Basically any and all power mods will stress out the engine just due to it now working harder. Which is why modified cars hardly last as long as stock. OEM is king for a reason if your looking for a life long beater. They built and engineered these things to operate and function as they are built. Once we change that that's on us. Which is why even OEM cars with factory turbos are different motors period than a N/A motor of the same car from the same mfg.

Due to the added stresses and power they beef the motors up or change the design entirely.

Last edited by CK_32; 06-15-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:48 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32

Aside from the fact N/A similar to a super charger is linier out right. Where a turbo has to spool. Im not turbo yoda by ANY MEANS...

But my understanding is PSI is PSI, stress from the 2 making the same power should be about the same if done properly. The delivery might be different but that's about all as far as I can see. Also F/I is forced. Where N/A is "natural". So if the set up for the turbo isn't correct the turbo will still force the air in, where the fuel or rest will not be ready or if turned beyond the cars limits....

But if both set up properly. Both should effect the motor the same. Basically any and all power mods will stress out the engine just due to it now working harder. Which is why modified cars hardly last as long as stock. OEM is king for a reason if your looking for a life long beater. They built and engineered these things to operate and function as they are built. Once we change that that's on us. Which is why even OEM cars with factory turbos are different motors period than a N/A motor of the same car from the same mfg.

Due to the added stresses and power they beef the motors up or change the design entirely.
That is what i am questioning. Is how can the engine tell if the air is forced or if its sucked in naturally. And if it cant, how is forced more stressful for the engine.

Yea anything beyond oem is consider stressing the engine. Infact driving at different elevation can stress the engine.

My original question was if both car are built is force more stressed than NA or no? Im not talking mild exhaust work, but im talking completely stripping the engine and changing the compression.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:52 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

Aside from the fact N/A similar to a super charger is linier out right. Where a turbo has to spool. Im not turbo yoda by ANY MEANS...

psi on one setup is not the same on another...cfm differs
na does not make the same power curve at fi.
stop focusing on peak numbers
higher cylinder pressure = more stress

yall are going full retard

that video of the na motor making good whp was reving to 9k..making 200wtq most of the way past 6000rpm. WEAK by fi standards.

oems make na variant motors that are weaker than the fi counterparts.

there is a reason you dont toss a turbo on a DE and make 600whp for long.

400whp na is not the same as 400whp turbo.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:56 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Cux350z

that video of the na motor making good whp was reving to 9k..making 200wtq most of the way past 6000rpm. WEAK by fi standards.

Then lets throw turbo out of the equation. Lets look at superchargers. The power curve is similar to NA, so can the same be said about supercharge vs NA?
Old 06-15-2016, 10:58 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

turbo be like : What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Old 06-15-2016, 11:00 AM
CK_32

Oh in that case then I think no, and agree with you. The forces should be about the same.

I just say FI is more stressful because most of the time F/I applications on builds tend to be much more drastic than a N/A on most builds. But equal to equal forces/power I think they wont notice a difference and both be as destructive/not be as the other.

Which is why I said technically both of them can be right, yet both can be wrong depending on the technicality and scenario you decide to put it in.

But again turbo's do have a more forceful type of delivery than a super charger and N/A set up. So that could be something with could factor in as well but I am not too familiar with that to speak that aspect, that would be much better answered by someone who is much more familiar with turbos and that type of break down. That's well beyond my scope of turbo / NA knowledge.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 AM
CK_32

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Then lets throw turbo out of the equation. Lets look at superchargers. The power curve is similar to NA, so can the same be said about supercharge vs NA?

See and this is that deliver system Im talking about. To me I cant answer that. That's gatta be answered by someone else. I have not had enough experience/knowledge in that part to say anything.

My knowledge/experience is mostly in the material and motor operation and limitation in general as a material. Not forces/physics or what ever that would fall into.

I bow out from here. Popcorn time
Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 AM
turboed350z

Oh in that case then I think no, and agree with you. The forces should be about the same.

I just say FI is more stressful because most of the time F/I applications on builds tend to be much more drastic than a N/A on most builds. But equal to equal forces/power I think they wont notice a difference and both be as destructive/not be as the other.

Which is why I said technically both of them can be right, yet both can be wrong depending on the technicality and scenario you decide to put it in.

But again turbo's do have a more forceful type of delivery than a super charger and N/A set up. So that could be something with could factor in as well but I am not too familiar with that to speak that aspect, that would be much better answered by someone who is much more familiar with turbos and that type of break down. That's well beyond my scope of turbo / NA knowledge.
Thats my train of thoughts. If everything is equal, hypothetically, stress level will be the same. But im not expert, thats why i asked.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:04 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

just stop. FFS.

Two types of SC are common. A centrifugal type willl make boost and power to redline...even while reving to 9k. A twin screw is more like a turbo. The effort to drive a SC = stress on the motor.

Read this...again...
Higher Cylinder Pressure = More Stress
Old 06-15-2016, 11:05 AM
turboed350z

just stop. FFS.

Two types of SC are common. A centrifugal type willl make boost and power to redline...even while reving to 9k. A twin screw is more like a turbo. The effort to drive a SC = stress on the motor.

Read this...again...
Higher Cylinder Pressure = More Stress
Doesnt higher cylinder pressure comes from more air entering the system?
Old 06-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

if you had two motors that made the same whp, same curve and one was NA and the other was FI...the FI would be under more stress since it would have lower displacement, poor timing, a very retarded ignition to make the same power. Yet...you would have higher cylinder wall pressures...for no gain.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:10 AM
turboed350z

if you had two motors that made the same whp, same curve and one was NA and the other was FI...the FI would be under more stress since it would have lower displacement, poor timing, a very retarded ignition to make the same power. Yet...you would have higher cylinder wall pressures...for no gain.
That makes sense.

Now same question but with elevation as a factor. Would the fi still be more stressed since we are at a higher elevation? Not trying to grasp straws just trying to understand it all. If the NA is working harder at higher elevation. Wouldnt the advantage be in favor of the FI now? (All things equal)
Old 06-15-2016, 11:10 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

N/A 350tq at 6krpm is going to be less stressful than 350tq FI at 3krpm.

I would assume half the rpm(less velocity) to create the same power.

The slower the engine is moving the more stress to that engine because that power is being spread out over less rotations
Old 06-15-2016, 11:12 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
N/A 350tq at 6krpm is going to be less stressful than 350tq FI at 3krpm.

I would assume half the rpm(less velocity) to create the same power.

The slower the engine is moving the more stress to that engine because that power is being spread out over less rotations
Makes sense since you usually downshift on a hill, but what if 350tq at 6k rpm for both applications?
Old 06-15-2016, 11:18 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Makes sense since you usually downshift on a hill, but what if 350tq at 6k rpm for both applications?
^^^
Old 06-15-2016, 11:24 AM
turboed350z

Not to drag this on or anything, just curious, since it hasnt been answer yet.

Can an engine tell if the difference between air its being sucked in (NA) and air that is being forced in (FI)?
Old 06-15-2016, 11:27 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

FI engine will make relatively the same power even as altitude changes. The altitude means the pressure outside is less...14.7psi at sea level i believe. Thats why NA are dogs in the mountains since less pressure outside to push air into the cylinders.

(while out of boost the FI engine will be down a bit on power as well)
The following users liked this post:
CK_32 (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 11:28 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Not to drag this on or anything, just curious, since it hasnt been answer yet.

Can an engine tell if the difference between air its being sucked in (NA) and air that is being forced in (FI)?

my suggestion, go read how a gas engine works, the purpose of a throttle body and fuel injection.

Then do read how it is different from a diesel engine.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:34 AM
CK_32

Oh your just opening a whole new can of worms for him there^ lol
Old 06-15-2016, 11:35 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

If you weight 200 lbs and hold 600 lbs would it not have the same effect on your joints, heart, circulatory system, etc?
Of course. Don't you think powerlifters eve get injured? When you add extra stress, beyond nominal parameters, things break.

When you add extra HP to an engine, whether it's NA or FI, design parameters may be exceeded, and things may break. There are always some extra margins built into any design, to promote longevity and reliability, but when they're exceeded . . .

Why is this not obvious to you? Try breaking loose a bolt torgued to 150 lb-ft with a 1/4" drive ratchet, rather than a breaker bar, and you'll snap that ratchet like a twig.

Quick Reply: F/I strains engine?