Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Welp....that was fun :( comp turbo fail less than a mile

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:59 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by knuckles899
Right! From here on out I dont want to see any bashing ebay stuff on here lol.
I had a $160 ebay turbo I installed on my old wrangler at 10psi(didn't even have a balance cut) never had problems.

Had about the same priced turbo (maybe$130) On a 1.8 kia engine for years and never had a problem with that one either
Old 08-09-2017, 07:12 PM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like you may have gotten a gen1 turbo they were riddled with issues. New design new issues. I think they are up to gen3 now don't quote me on that but I've read a lot of good reviews on them. I've been thinking of switching my smoky 20g's to a big single oiless comp turbo next season. I've heard comp is really good with costumer service so keep us posted on what they say and what your experience with them was like so I can gauge if this is a good route to take or not.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:41 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Since we have some other Boosted kit guys here.

What did you guys do with the vacume hoses that connected under the stock intake, now where the waste gate to intake nipple is?

i just left mine hanging there idk what to do with it. And it goes to the back of the motor and I really don't wanna dig in there. Doesn't seem to cause issues but I don't want it just sitting there.

You HR guys might have 2 since you have 2 intakes. I only have one hose since I'm DE but I'm sure the function is the same.

Also where did you guys drill and tap for the back pressure relief filter supplied with the kit?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:43 PM
CK_32

PS out of fear and since I was underneath my Z today changing the springs out.

i did a inspection of my turbo and fins for play and any grinding. So far so good. Hopefully it stays that way lol

Side note I did already check for play and all that before mounting out of the box. Just a habit to hopefully avoid what happened to you.

First time hearing a big name turbo actually failed out of the box tho. Makes me glad I do these out of box checks.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:16 PM
knuckles899

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Just mailed the turbo back to Comp and spoke to them. I asked them if they have seen anything like this and basically they have not. They are going to send my turbo to engineering and R&D I guess so everyone can get a better idea on what potentially happened. They said this version of the oil less CTX 4 is the latest version .....the one with the zert fitting. I guess cooling seal issues have been present before but nothing to this extent. They said when they take it apart that they will have a better understanding on what went wrong. I asked if turning the housing (aka clocking the turbo) causes this and it did not seem like it would cause this type of failure. He did say though that removing the nut that the actual turbine is secured by would be an issue, like dissembling the turbine itself which I did not do thankfully. Comp did say that actual engine damage from this failure is likely minimal to none, intercooler probably caught most of the metal dust / particles. I offered to send photos of my air filter to show how its in all one piece and they didn't seem to want anything more at this time.

Overall, so far so good for customer service. They sent me a return shipping label and have been a pleasure to speak with.

I will keep everyone posted with what their findings are once they examine it.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:37 PM
knuckles899

Originally Posted by CK_32
Since we have some other Boosted kit guys here.

What did you guys do with the vacume hoses that connected under the stock intake, now where the waste gate to intake nipple is?

i just left mine hanging there idk what to do with it. And it goes to the back of the motor and I really don't wanna dig in there. Doesn't seem to cause issues but I don't want it just sitting there.

You HR guys might have 2 since you have 2 intakes. I only have one hose since I'm DE but I'm sure the function is the same.

Also where did you guys drill and tap for the back pressure relief filter supplied with the kit?
For my HR if your looking at the engine form the front on the back of my intake manifold I have an upper and lower nipple on the backside of the intake manifold. The upper nipple is for my brake booster and the lower nipple is for my PCV valve.

I think the PCV vacuum hose nipple on the intake manifold (lower one on the HR) gets blocked off by cap? Then the hoses get removed and small air filter breathers get installed on the left and right side valve covers.

Please note that this is all for an HR and I am not 100% that it is actually the correct way to set this up.....seems like it's basically a PCV delete.

I am not sure on the DE motors.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:41 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

...spoke to them...
that's pretty cool...I don't even know where I'd start 'trying' to talk to greddy...
Old 08-15-2017, 08:07 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, sorry about your troubles with this turbo. This is a very extreme and unfortunate case, not seen before.

Based on your description of the failure, there is no way anything would have made it's way up past the FMIC. Metal is of course heavier than air, and will simply sit at the bottom of the IC (provided it even made it that far).

these turbos feature a triple ceramic ball bearing centre section, which is water cooled. The centres section is billet aluminium, and features a grease nipple. The bearings get greased once per oil change, so the bearings stay lubricated. The water cooling prevents the grease from liquefying, so the bearings are kept lubricated. So despite being Oi-less, there is grease in the centre section to keep the bearings lubricated.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:06 PM
knuckles899

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
OP, sorry about your troubles with this turbo. This is a very extreme and unfortunate case, not seen before.

Based on your description of the failure, there is no way anything would have made it's way up past the FMIC. Metal is of course heavier than air, and will simply sit at the bottom of the IC (provided it even made it that far).

these turbos feature a triple ceramic ball bearing centre section, which is water cooled. The centres section is billet aluminium, and features a grease nipple. The bearings get greased once per oil change, so the bearings stay lubricated. The water cooling prevents the grease from liquefying, so the bearings are kept lubricated. So despite being Oi-less, there is grease in the centre section to keep the bearings lubricated.
It's all good stuff happens. I'm at a loss trying to figure out what could have happened though. I spoke to Comp and basically they are going to look at it to make sure the bolt on the turbine wasn't removed (which I never did touch) just clocked it for fitment on the outer bolts to line the turbo up with the inlet piping. All the cooling lines were installed and cooling system bled and filled.....I can only think at this time that it is a faulty turbo. Any other possible causes you can think of?
Old 08-15-2017, 05:08 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
Based on your description of the failure, there is no way anything would have made it's way up past the FMIC.
I would worry about the bigger chunks of metal but I would worry about the tiny metal fillings that would bypass the IC and make it to the cylinder ...
Old 08-15-2017, 06:41 PM
knuckles899

Originally Posted by bealljk
I would worry about the bigger chunks of metal but I would worry about the tiny metal fillings that would bypass the IC and make it to the cylinder ...
Yeah, this is what I am concerned about. I'm just going to clean everything up the best I can I guess.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:19 PM
CK_32

Either way dude, it will not hurt to break her open and make sure.

Why risk a motor from laziness. All it takes is one or two small pieces to total it.

Hell even if that means popping out the plugs and scoping it.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:40 PM
knuckles899

Originally Posted by CK_32
Either way dude, it will not hurt to break her open and make sure.

Why risk a motor from laziness. All it takes is one or two small pieces to total it.

Hell even if that means popping out the plugs and scoping it.
I'm going to scope the cylinders this weekend and pull everything apart to clean it....................I'm pretty sure the Wife has had enough of my quick little project going on in the garage lol...........so if I go missing you all know..
Old 08-15-2017, 09:01 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I'm going to scope the cylinders this weekend and pull everything apart to clean it
Have you drained the oil? If you havent maybe drain it and inspect it and see if there are tiny metal particles ... regardless, whats done is done and it's time to move forward! Give 'em hell!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:11 AM
CK_32

I'm going to scope the cylinders this weekend and pull everything apart to clean it....................I'm pretty sure the Wife has had enough of my quick little project going on in the garage lol...........so if I go missing you all know..
Something I know too well haha

Between me waiting on parts, and losing drive to wrench mid way through mines been on jacks for about 6-8 months.

This cars been on jacks almost the entire 2 years I've had it. I think I've only driven it for 3-4 before I tore it apart again to install this kit.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:29 PM
knuckles899

I spoke to Comp Turbo this morning. Comp stated that this was possibly a install error while clocking...... They said when I clocked the turbo the gasket most likely got pinched or became misaligned when it was rotated to line up with my piping. Even though everything appeared okay prior to starting the vehicle and even idling okay....meaning nothing seemed misaligned at the time, once the turbo got some heat and boost through it the housing began to contact the impeller blade. This would explain why I was able to get into the boost slightly a couple times and somewhere not to long after this I started to notice the noise. I asked Comp if this rubber gasket is oiled slightly during assembly to avoid the gasket getting pulled slightly when rotating and they said it does.........my thinking was that a dry rubber gasket would want to pull a little bit when rotating the turbo housing for clocking. Comp said that they would cover this under warranty and I should receive the turbo back probably by Friday.......I am not sure what is being replaced on the turbo itself as of now so I'll see on Friday when is arrives.

To sum everything up with Comp Turbo and Sasha at Boosted Performance

Great customer service
Takes initiative on providing feedback and solutions to customer issues
Fast shipping and response
Good Product

As far as how to avoid this from happening to anyone else in the future................I am not sure as I thought I was being as careful as possible and not forceful with anything with this turbo.
The following 2 users liked this post by knuckles899:
JoeFoe (09-11-2017), toogood131 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 09:58 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

^hats off to Comp ... good for them
Old 08-17-2017, 05:55 AM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

They didn't give you any tips on clocking it next time?

Great you don't have to drop more coin.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-17-2017, 10:56 AM
knuckles899

Originally Posted by eZg
They didn't give you any tips on clocking it next time?

Great you don't have to drop more coin.

Good Luck!!
I asked if they would send me info on it just to avoid this from happening to anyone else....I'll post it when I receive it.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:59 PM
wizard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good you're getting this sorted.
Wanted to go for a BP kit as well - just waiting for a reply from Sasha. Let's see.