Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Single turbo blue smoke under boost only

Old 09-29-2017, 09:30 PM
algy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single turbo blue smoke under boost only

2006 5AT VQ35DE G35 coupe. After having the tread stone single kit on for a while. I’ve been having some issues with blue smoke under boost. Driving normal and start up with revs are ok with no smoke at all. But once I get going on the road and build boost and high RPMs, it starts to shoot blue smoke pretty bad. Deceleration have no smoke and driving normal will have no smoke. Only when building boost and high revs. Now I thought it was the turbo seals so I sent it back to treadstone bc I haven’t even had 2 oil changes on the kit yet (under warranty). Treadstone said seals are good but went ahead and replaced parts for me. Got the turbo back and reinstalled but still the same issue. Checked oil return line and no kinks. Spark plugs are good. Did notice a puddle of oil inside plenum when trying to get to sparks. I don’t have any breathers or catch can for the valve covers. Mechanic is predicting something about the PCV is getting too much pressure causing blow by. The car is only seeing 6-7lbs of boost too. Now when we took the turbo apart, there was oil on the intake side before the turbo and oil after the turbo leading to the intake manifold..

This is driving me nuts and would appreciate anyone with ideas. Before the build the cars compression was good (186~189 range) stock internals. I am the first owner of the car and took care of it. Car got boosted at 100k miles hence why I kept the boost on the low side.

Last edited by algy; 09-29-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:42 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Burning oil somewhere.

If you have an oil cooled turbo is check the seals.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:47 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by algy
...Before the build the cars compression was good (186~189 range) stock internals...

Was there a compression test done afterwards since the kit was installed?? If its not your turbos, you are burning oil in your cylinders which means your piston ring integrity may be deteriorating and only noticeable going into boost.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:03 AM
algy

That what I was worried about. Been reading a lot and saw piston rings. But how about the oil in the plenum and intake pipes before turbo and then going into the intercooler.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:50 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by algy
That what I was worried about. Been reading a lot and saw piston rings. But how about the oil in the plenum and intake pipes before turbo and then going into the intercooler.
I am assuming it is blown from the PVC, when I was NA it was common to see a little bit of oil in the upper and lower plenum. Someone more knowledgeable than I I'm sure can explain further perhaps.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:47 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32
Burning oil somewhere.

If you have an oil cooled turbo is check the seals.
oil cooled, oil lubricated ... I'd check here first
Old 09-30-2017, 03:41 PM
kbowen4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would rrcomend getting a baffled catch can first off, i have a one way to connecting it to the port on the manifold usually goes and the one way keeps boost from going the other way and the filter on the can breathes while in boost. Which single kit are you running? If its a bottom mount that changes things.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:16 AM
algy

Originally Posted by kbowen4
I would rrcomend getting a baffled catch can first off, i have a one way to connecting it to the port on the manifold usually goes and the one way keeps boost from going the other way and the filter on the can breathes while in boost. Which single kit are you running? If its a bottom mount that changes things.
its a treadstone kit (updated version of turbonetics) it purchased brand new and installed and tuned professionally.

I need to to learn more about these catch cans bc there are two or three directions on those valve covers that I see oil traveling around. 1 pvc to the plenum. 2 valve cover to valve cover. 3 behind driver side valve cover to intake (my case it’s right behind the filter before turbo).
Old 10-01-2017, 09:19 AM
algy

Originally Posted by bealljk
oil cooled, oil lubricated ... I'd check here first
It’s a water and oil cooled turbo. THe old versions use to be only oil cooled.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:28 AM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds to me like you need to properly ventilate your crankcase if you have oil in your plenum. Get an oil catch can and route the outlet of the catch can to the air intake pipe on the turbo. This will put a vacuum on the crankcase like it's supposed to be from the factory. Also drill out your pcv valve and pull the ball and spring out.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:32 AM
TT03Z

Old 10-02-2017, 07:29 AM
algy

Originally Posted by TT03Z
Do you think this is the issue that is causing the blue smoke under boost? Btw that setup looks awesome. I see the PCV to the catch can.. and then I see two more hoses.. two for the two turbo pipes before the intake?? If that’s the case what happens to the on behind the driver side valve cover? That’s the one that usually goes to the factory intake.

Also so I read something about having too much breathers for ventilation can cause gaskets to explode? Is this true?
Old 10-02-2017, 08:01 AM
TT03Z

It's a 2 into the can and one out design. The driver's side valve cover vents to the can as does the pcv valve. And I have the outlet of the catch can routed to the air intake pipe on the driver's side turbo. But yes I think that is most likely what's causing your smoke is excessive crank case pressure. If it only smokes in boost the crankcase pressure is pushing oil past the seals in the turbo causing the smoke. Properly ventilate your crankcase and I bet the smoke goes away if your turbo isnt damaged.
The following users liked this post:
Nickv (10-30-2017)

Search this Thread