Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech goes BOOM! - rebuild, replace or upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 05:02 AM
wizard

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vortech goes BOOM! - rebuild, replace or upgrade?

Hi All,

As per title, see attached.
Lasted around 8 years with the car being on and off the road. This year only I have been spinning it to 57,800 RPM
It's a Vortech Sci trim with an SI impeller.
Wanted to get your thoughts on either the following next steps:
- Upgrade the head unit to a Ti Trim (I have a forged motor)
- Rebuild this head unit using 928 Motorsports premium rebuild kit or ask Vortech to do it.

Any one had any experience on either?

Let me know your thoughts. If I keep this blower, i need it to spin comfortably at 60K ish.
More power would be nice too!

Last edited by wizard; 11-19-2018 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:27 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

How did you eat up the front of your Impeller like that?

Get a V2 Ti-Trim, but you will need proper Fuel Supply, Either a CJM Stage 2 with a Walbro 485 or a CJM Stage 3 with a Twin Pump. Don't try to cheap out on your fuel system, do it Right.....

Last edited by OldManZ350; 11-19-2018 at 12:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldManZ350:
BluestreamDE (11-19-2018), wizard (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 02:19 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Who installed the Si Impeller for your unit? Looks almost the same as the impeller I got from Superchargerrebuilds.com before having 928MS fix it. The impeller they replaced my original SCi impeller with was cast aluminum and was very heavy, poorly balanced and definitely lower quality then the patented 928 Impeller. It was definitely a lesson learned.

And I agree, Follow Oldman's advice.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:38 AM
wizard

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
Who installed the Si Impeller for your unit? Looks almost the same as the impeller I got from Superchargerrebuilds.com before having 928MS fix it. The impeller they replaced my original SCi impeller with was cast aluminum and was very heavy, poorly balanced and definitely lower quality then the patented 928 Impeller. It was definitely a lesson learned.

And I agree, Follow Oldman's advice.
This is from str8dum1 from 2011 who's charger it was (I still have the original message):

"I originally had a V2 that was upgraded with a Si impeller. that one had bad bearings so they gave me a brand new V3 which supposedly had my original Si impeller swapped over.
The V3 was brand new and never rebuilt. It was just an impeller swap from the old V2 unit."
Old 11-22-2018, 05:43 AM
wizard

Guys - for all those that have the TI trim:

If I wanted to run 'low boost' initially using my 340 pump, what would be the best pulley size to start with? I heard from a dealer that pulleys for 6 rib go up to 4".

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-23-2018, 06:33 AM
0taku

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by wizard

If I wanted to run 'low boost' initially using my 340 pump, what would be the best pulley size to start with? I heard from a dealer that pulleys for 6 rib go up to 4".

You might be fine with the 3.33, but depends on what your definition of low boost is. I can't see how the Aero 340 wont support a 3.33 on pump gas. Although the 725cc injectors you have might get maxed out.

I was spinning a V2 Si unit around 58k but I tanked my impeller. (This was with a 928 impellar and Super Rebuild)

Honestly I'm shocked it crapped itself so I have mixed feelings on 928.

Rather getting the unit rebuilt a second time, I went ahead and got the Ti unit. (I'm also fully built with 264 cams, 2.87 pulley, and 11:1 compression)

I'm running the CJM Stage 3 FRS with the Twin Pumps. (Because screw the annoyance of modifying the basket and hoping it fits flush... wasted money on Dynosty to modify mine for it to not fit correctly)

Here's my old Si trim and the damage it went through.

The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 02:24 AM
BluestreamDE

i dont have the dimensions for the Ti Volute, but this is my 3.12 pulley with my YSi, as you can see the pulley has like 2mm of clearance from the blower, and the space i have left in between that is where the belt it, and it rubs enough ever soo slightly to taje mayerial off overtime. Anticipate using my pic as a base, meaning the biggest pulley you can use would most likely be a 3.12. You can try using spacers on the 4 bolts behind the blower that secures it to the mounting bracket, however you wont be lined up as well with the cog pulleys in the back along with the cog belt.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:46 AM
wizard

i dont have the dimensions for the Ti Volute, but this is my 3.12 pulley with my YSi, as you can see the pulley has like 2mm of clearance from the blower, and the space i have left in between that is where the belt it, and it rubs enough ever soo slightly to taje mayerial off overtime. Anticipate using my pic as a base, meaning the biggest pulley you can use would most likely be a 3.12. You can try using spacers on the 4 bolts behind the blower that secures it to the mounting bracket, however you wont be lined up as well with the cog pulleys in the back along with the cog belt.
Thank you for that, but would it be the same clearance issues for the Ti spec also? The ysi is considerably bigger?
Old 11-27-2018, 02:28 AM
BluestreamDE

Thank you for that, but would it be the same clearance issues for the Ti spec also? The ysi is considerably bigger?
Not sure ive never seen a Ti in person to measure the size. I know its a bigger blower than the one you have now. Figured my pic would help.

I know Colombo on here has the Ti Trim blower, try to PM him.
wizard (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 08:38 AM
wizard

Vortech head office are saying that the cause of failure could have been my BOV not opening. I am thinking of replacing it to be sure on the new blower - can anyone recommend one?
Old 11-27-2018, 10:55 AM
BluestreamDE

Tial Q 50mm with -2 supercharger spring is what i run. You can shop around for a better price.
https://www.jegs.com/i/TiAL-Sport/768/002579/10002/-1

Synapse is also a good brand, and you cant go wrong with Vortech's inhouse Maxflow Bypass valve. Ultimately you will need to run a bov that can flow out alot of air since you are going up in blower size.
wizard (11-28-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 06:25 AM
0taku

Not sure ive never seen a Ti in person to measure the size. I know its a bigger blower than the one you have now. Figured my pic would help.

I know Colombo on here has the Ti Trim blower, try to PM him.
Wizard, what dimensions you need?

Tial Q 50mm with -2 supercharger spring is what i run. You can shop around for a better price.
https://www.jegs.com/i/TiAL-Sport/768/002579/10002/-1

Synapse is also a good brand, and you cant go wrong with Vortech's inhouse Maxflow Bypass valve. Ultimately you will need to run a bov that can flow out alot of air since you are going up in blower size.
Agreed, honestly I love the sound and quality of the Tial Q 50mm (It's F***ing loud) and the fact they have their own dedicated supercharger spring (The -2 Blue mentioned, the color should be green iirc)

Depending on the boost, there's also the Vortech Maxflow Mondo BPV. Honestly it's cheaper to go the Tial Q route in case for some reason you switch to a turbo setup. (Then just spend a couple bucks for a different bov spring)
Old 12-02-2018, 04:28 AM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by 0taku
Wizard, what dimensions you need?

Agreed, honestly I love the sound and quality of the Tial Q 50mm (It's F***ing loud) and the fact they have their own dedicated supercharger spring (The -2 Blue mentioned, the color should be green iirc)

Depending on the boost, there's also the Vortech Maxflow Mondo BPV. Honestly it's cheaper to go the Tial Q route in case for some reason you switch to a turbo setup. (Then just spend a couple bucks for a different bov spring)
Yea, OP needs a visual on how the Ti Volute dimension size is in comparison with the serpentine pulley on the mounting bracket. I know for me with the YSi, the lowest i can go is with the 3.12 above.

Im happy with the Tial 50mm, makes the car sound like a harrier jet just cruising or creeping thru a parking lot. I always get weird curious looks 😂.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:21 PM
OldManZ350

Non-RevUp, or RevUp?

Makes a Huge Difference

Yea, OP needs a visual on how the Ti Volute dimension size is in comparison with the serpentine pulley on the mounting bracket. I know for me with the YSi, the lowest i can go is with the 3.12 above.

Im happy with the Tial 50mm, makes the car sound like a harrier jet just cruising or creeping thru a parking lot. I always get weird curious looks 😂.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:46 PM
BluestreamDE

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Non-RevUp, or RevUp?

Makes a Huge Difference
From his previous threads, he seems to have a Non Revup.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:59 AM
wizard

From his previous threads, he seems to have a Non Revup.
Yes sir non-revup
Going to be speaking to Vortech about warranty conditions before I take the plunge on a Ti.
If anyone has the dimensions, especially on the largest pulley size, will be much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:23 AM
OldManZ350

Wizird, the 3.12 will Absolutly fit with the Ti-Trim....... with a Non-Revup.

The Warranty from Vortech Sucks........They will also give and allowance toward a bigger blower, but it's very small, less than $1000, and then you pay retail for the New Blower. There are much better deals out the than going direct thru Vortech.

Yes sir non-revup
Going to be speaking to Vortech about warranty conditions before I take the plunge on a Ti.
If anyone has the dimensions, especially on the largest pulley size, will be much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:37 PM
wizard

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Wizird, the 3.12 will Absolutly fit with the Ti-Trim....... with a Non-Revup.

The Warranty from Vortech Sucks........They will also give and allowance toward a bigger blower, but it's very small, less than $1000, and then you pay retail for the New Blower. There are much better deals out the than going direct thru Vortech.
Hi Mate,
I actually meant the manufacturers warranty. I'm assuming that there's at least a 1 year warranty of defects with the blower by Vortech, regardless of who you buy it from new? (presuming it's an authorised dealer) Is that correct?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 AM
wizard

Hi Guys

For the BOV;

I heard that the Tial QR is a lot quieter then the Q as it's recirculating.
Do you guys have any thoughts on running this with the Ti Trim? And also which supercharger spring?
Old 02-15-2019, 07:47 AM
0taku

There's a specific spring for supercharged applications. (Green, it's what I use on my setup)

wizard (02-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Vortech goes BOOM! - rebuild, replace or upgrade?