Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo worries :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Jergens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo worries :(

Okay well the search isn't working, and beyond that when you type in DFMU 300 thread pop up where all that is in them is "Ordered my DFMU" etc etc.. so here we go.

I'm getting close to turbo time, and I am a bit concerned as this is my first outing and it has been hard to really get educated on the area as I can't get much one on one help / knowledge.

See my problem isn't with dealing with the people it is the lack of background knowledge. So basically lets start this way.

I placed a call to a shop down here that builds crazy RX-7s. REALLY crazy. I know they can do anything they want. Anyhow I asked if they would be willing to do a Twin turbo setup for a 350z. They chime in with "Yes we are a licensed GReddy dealer"... Immediately bells go off saying "Josh, beware the upsell."

I explained in laymans terms what I wanted as I don't really know how to express it techincally. "This is my first serious job beyond minor bolt ons. I want more or less a rather insane streetable car. And I want to pay to do it right."

Great no problem we can get whatever you want and do things to your spec. They throw together a package for me and tell me to come by later that day to talk about it. So when I get there he starts going over the list. Estimate prices of course. First off suspension.

Tein full coilover. The $1,800+ ones. I had mentioned how I had a cup kit on my BMW and was pretty happy with that, and how I was hesitant about doing adjustable systems just because I figure I will never monkey around with them so why pay all the money. Adjustability wasn't important but best performance was. So he suggested them with (EDFC?) or something to that nature of abbreviation. In car damper adjustment unit. Awesome sounds like fun.

Next the clutch. Exedy carbon clutch/fly wheel. I have heard nothing but awesome things about this system on the boards I check so I was pretty pleased when I heard that. $2,000. Not sure what the price is out there can't seem to get numbers.

Next I mentioned how I liked the SSR Comp H wheels and I know how traction will be a problem and I want to do what I can. Comp H's come in 10.5 rear is as wide as I can go. He didn't mention anything about those wheels but he brought up Forgeline as the "Sort of Ferrari of wheels. Custom, get them however you want them" etc etc... except I think forgeline look like *** personally. I expressed that with a little more grace to him. Recommended Nitto 555's. I had Toyo T1S's before and really liked them.

Finally the meat and potatoes. The turbo set up. GReddy Twin Turbo $6,450 intercooler $1,400. First hiccup. He said he thought the TT kit came with an intercooler and the $1,400 was an upgrade. Wasn't sure, would check it out. I asked if he would change any of the components like the blow off valves or if there is anything he would add, either performance or reliability wise. Nope it is fine the way it is. Okay what about boost control? I want to sort of be able to alternate between daily driving still peppy and when I want to get silly having a "Woah shiat" setting. He never really addressed how it was done and that is my fault for not pursuing enough maybe. He mentioned a Profec (I have no idea what it does.). And he said that the labor would include the testing, tuning and such. I imagine that means working out the software for the engine instead of just slapping on a chip. Already this post is longer than anyone will read so I'll cut it there if anyone wants to jump in and help. This is pretty overwhelming... I guess the first time it is hard to make it fun.

~Josh
Old 03-25-2004, 10:33 PM
pimpjuice

$6,450 seems a little high for the kit. Check out my sig for some better prices.
Greddy Profec E01 is a good choice for a boost controller as you can also adjust/see the settings of the e-manage.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll chime in with a couple of points:

First of all, the kit comes complete for usage at 5.6psi. A BOV is optional, but I personally recommend one (others will disagree..which is fine). You'll also want a boost guage at a minimum. Also, you should be able to locate this kit for about $6000 with intercooler.

Second, adjusting the boost is possible with either the Profec e-01, or any of a number of other boost controllers. However, keep in mind that the Greddy eManage has no provisions for timing retard, so it is HIGHLY advisable to address that issue prior to increasing the boost beyond the factory setting of 5.6psi. Some folks on the board are using a J&S Safeguard (timing retard solution), or waiting for Technosquare to develop a 440cc ECU reflash.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:52 AM
VampireG

Hmmm... I have a question to add.

Is there a plug-n-play TT kit out there that comes ready to go with everything one needs to get the kit tuned properly without having to buy extra controllers for timing or ecu flashes?

I'm not saying I want to tune it myself, I'm just wondering if there is a kit that has everything it needs and requires no further purchases beyond the kit itself.

Thanks,
VampireG
Old 03-26-2004, 07:09 AM
brgerflipr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sound like you're about to spend a lot of money on a lot of things. When the search function is fixed, use it. There are a lot of smart, knowledgeable people on this forum. You can learn a lot from them, I did. Everything you need to know is on past threads. I don't think there is any way to sum up all your questions into one response, or one thread for that matter, because everybody's got a different opinion on everything. It's best to just do a lot of reading and educate yourself before dropping over 20K in the mods you just mentioned.

As far as those prices go, they're all a little high, I'd do a little more shopping.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:52 AM
etx

VampireG, the greddy kit is good to go out of the box at 5.5 psi. The kit is tuned rich to avoid timing issues. along with the kit you should get a boost gauge and a bov.

I am working on a way to get the emanage to control timing on the Z. I can't wait for greddy any longer.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by VampireG
Hmmm... I have a question to add.

Is there a plug-n-play TT kit out there that comes ready to go with everything one needs to get the kit tuned properly without having to buy extra controllers for timing or ecu flashes?

I'm not saying I want to tune it myself, I'm just wondering if there is a kit that has everything it needs and requires no further purchases beyond the kit itself.

Thanks,
VampireG
Definatley study the boards for at least a month before diving into this purchase. As mentioned, the Greddy Kit is ready to go at 5.6psi without further mods. Timing retard is not necessary at 5.6psi due to the rich fuel maps supplied with the emanage. This, of course, can be your starting point, or your ending point..this is your choice.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:15 PM
t32gzz

Looks like you are headed down the road already so here is my .02.

Go with the Tein Flex coilovers with EDFC. I did this after Eibachs and was pleased with the difference.

Wheels - Make sure your offsets will clear a big brake kit if you have Brembos or ever want to upgrade the brakes.

Clutch - Spend the money and get a dual disk the first time. You will be glad you did!

Greddy Turbo - Invest in a BOV $200 or $400. Get a Technosquare ECU flash for timing, $599 + shipping. If you are going to have a high boost mode, the timing adjustment is a must. Profec - B, or Profec E01 for boost control, both made by Greddy $300 to $600. You may want to add a turbo timer ~$200. Also consider an auxillary fuel pump or changing the in tank fuel pump. Search in the threads for this. I think most are going with the Walbro fuel pump ~$200.

I would be worried about a shop that says the Greddy comes everything you need. It only comes with everything you need if you run 5.6psi. Also, the shop's prices quoted are MSRP. You will be getting ripped off if they sell the stuff at the price quoted. ACP is a member of this forum in Florida, and his car is sick. You may want to take it where he did. Good luck with your project.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:33 PM
o snap its eric

5.6psi is ready to go with the greddy and no need for any other timing tunes?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Jergens

Hey guys thanks for the responses. First off ACP... I have contacted him as like you said, he is in Florida and his car is amazing. From my understanding he has done much of the work himself. I was afraid of the upsell because the place I went told me how they are a licensed vendor. Which to me normally means they sell everything at what it is listed... and you can always buy for less than list . As for checking the boards for at least a month.. I have been harrasing people for a solid year at this point to get my ideas in order... The search thread is just a pain sometimes. Anyhow you guys will all be in the loop, my biggest questions aren't about the price as much as the auxillary systems needed to make the GReddy where I want it to be... I will contact ACP when I get a chance and this project is definately going to happen, but timing (Hah hah) is everything. Cheers

~Josh
Old 03-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Traffic

Were you referring to Pettit Racing? They're a great installer, but I would get their prices and then compare them to what you can get from the vendors on this board. You'll probably save yourself a few bucks.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Jergens

Daytona,

Indeed that is who I am talking about. They had literally 8 RX-7s in their bays and they definately know how to work with boost. My concern is buying my parts elsewhere and going back to them to install.. I am sure they won't be dicks about it but 6,500 for the turbos is definately more than I need to pay. I've started speaking with some other people and things look good. I will just have to find out if Pettit will do the work and the tuning or will they feel like I cut them in the back. Ahh well if that is the case, Miami it is.

~Josh
Old 03-29-2004, 10:54 AM
pimpjuice

Originally posted by Jergens
Daytona,

Indeed that is who I am talking about. They had literally 8 RX-7s in their bays and they definately know how to work with boost. My concern is buying my parts elsewhere and going back to them to install.. I am sure they won't be dicks about it but 6,500 for the turbos is definately more than I need to pay. I've started speaking with some other people and things look good. I will just have to find out if Pettit will do the work and the tuning or will they feel like I cut them in the back. Ahh well if that is the case, Miami it is.

~Josh
It shouldn't be a problem. If you are willing to pay them for installation and tuning, they would be stupid to turn you down just because you didn't buy the kit from them.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:43 AM
transportchef

Pimpjuice how is the turbo holding up? I havent seen anymore updates on M.org. Any probs as of late? Good job on the install and best of luck. I hope to have one with the next 2yrs.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:03 AM
pimpjuice

Originally posted by transportchef
Pimpjuice how is the turbo holding up? I havent seen anymore updates on M.org. Any probs as of late? Good job on the install and best of luck. I hope to have one with the next 2yrs.
Its running great.
I am usually in the FI section on the org. so you probably won't see much of me anywhere else.
I'm just waiting for my wideband unit so I can do some more tuning.
Fuel delivery is the big concern for me right now. I hope to turn the boost up soon!
Old 04-04-2004, 11:04 AM
ttsupra94

There is a Greddy TT on ebay right now without intercooler for like 4500 or something
Old 04-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Jergens

Thanks TT... I'll check it out. Ebay tends to make me nervous though.. Specially for 5k, sometimes I'd rather pay someone I know is ligit the extra grand.

Josh
Old 04-05-2004, 04:33 PM
JPizzle

check out dynamic turbos, I plan to take a ride up there to try and work out a custom turbo with them