Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

J&S Safeguard with Greddy TT and eManage

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 07:12 PM
THX723

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ravaz,
Thanks for the response. I'm glad to see the J&S working flawlessly for the VQ. I wonder what the deal was for those who were having issues.

Sorry for the confusing on the knock monitor ... was a matter of semantics. I see what you want now.

Last edited by THX723; 06-25-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:41 PM
ravaz

No prob. I know for me, the first time I did the install I blew a few fuses, but that was my own fault (it was late and I spent the last 6 hours dropping my motor in). I was wiring the Adapter Module wrong at first, I read the diagram wrong so it would run for a minute then blow the fuse, but didn't do anything to my coil packs. That was my own fault, no issue with the J&S, maybe that's the issues others were having.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Midus
Banned

Originally posted by ravaz
No prob. I know for me, the first time I did the install I blew a few fuses, but that was my own fault (it was late and I spent the last 6 hours dropping my motor in). I was wiring the Adapter Module wrong at first, I read the diagram wrong so it would run for a minute then blow the fuse, but didn't do anything to my coil packs. That was my own fault, no issue with the J&S, maybe that's the issues others were having.
So the wiring diagram from their site is 100% correct then??
Old 06-26-2004, 07:43 AM
ravaz

Yup, that's what I used.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there are no installation issues, then the safeguard seems like a solid timing option.

THe only other question I have is how :seamless" is the retarding? Some people have commented on a slight hesitation as the J&S kicks on. It's a noticeable loss of power, almost like the feeling when traction control kicks in.

For those that have use it on the VQ.....I wanna know if its operation is essentially invisibile to the driver?
Old 06-29-2004, 01:27 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

I'd really wann know too - as I am considering this unit strongly
Old 06-29-2004, 04:27 AM
ravaz

I know what you guys are talking about. I think I mentioned in a post a while while back something about hesitation when I had the J&S installed on my car with the ATI Procharger. The hesitation for me turned out to be the the DFMU, when it kicked in and went into the next slider you felt it. I thought this was the J&S retarding timing at first but when I shut down the DFMU, everything was smooth. You wouldn't lose anymore power with the J&S retarding timing then you would with say the emanage taking timing out I would think. I'm working with John on a custom unit for myself, maybe if you guys are interested we can all get in on it if we had enough people.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:58 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Yeah Ravez....I would be interested in learning more about this.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Midus
Banned

Well I just installed the J&S in my car and I am running 9lbs of boost. I set it for 10 degrees of knock retard,individual cylinder,4 degrees of rpm retard and about another 2 degrees of boost retard and the car pulls like a sonovabitch... I am going to get dyno tuned on Friday so I can really dial it in but I think pulling somewhere around 6-8 degrees keeps me off the knock sensor and running strong..Ill post #'s on Friday..
Old 06-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

So does the retarding layer on top of one another? If so, that seems like too mcuh retarding. 4-6degrees of retarding as redline approaches seems about right.

If you are running 93 octane fuel, you shoudl have no problem at all.

If I get the J&S, I was thinking of doing about 5 degrees of RPM based retarding, and let the J&S do its Safeguard thing by individual cyclinder.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Midus
Banned

Originally posted by gq_626
So does the retarding layer on top of one another? If so, that seems like too mcuh retarding. 4-6degrees of retarding as redline approaches seems about right.

If you are running 93 octane fuel, you shoudl have no problem at all.

If I get the J&S, I was thinking of doing about 5 degrees of RPM based retarding, and let the J&S do its Safeguard thing by individual cyclinder.
I set it up in the following manner:

Boost retard
keep in mind that fully counter clock wise is zero degrees and fully clock wise is two degrees PER PSI...
I set it about mid way on the **** so Im guessing about 1 degree PER PSI

Now the rate at which boost retard starts I set about 3/4 of the way up so it should be at about 7-8 PSI at the piont it stars pulling timing..So I SHOULD have 1 degree PER PSI pulling after 7PSI of boost...so I'm guessing a total of 2 degrees boost retard..

RPM RETARD

switch #3 down switch #4 up for a total of 4 degrees retard STARTING @ 5250 rpm and ALL in by 6250 RPM

KNOCK RETARD

switch #1 DOWN for 10 degrees MAX of KR
switch #2 up for RETARD ALL CYLINDERS

Have not experienced ANY ping and the car seems to respond well to the timing adjustments..I will maybee pull a little LESS timing on the DYNO FRIDAY to see if I reach the KS at all, considering I am running 94 Sunoco Ultra and 1 degree cooler plugs already so I am probably pulling around 8-9 degrees @ redline..We shall see..
Oh and to answer your question about the timing "layering"..Yes it does. It will combine ALL settings for a maximum retard of I think 30-40 degrees of retard..

Last edited by Midus; 06-29-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:48 PM
Midus
Banned

oh, one more thing. The instructions on the J&S have an error on the wire color for cylinder # 2. It says Grn/Yel but the actual color is a grey wire with another color, I forget. But it matches the correct pin #'s on the ECU..
Oh and make sure you get your switched power from the ECU # 109 or the car will not start.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

My OBDII scan indicates about 20-23 degrees of total ignition advance from about 4000rpm-6600rpm. I dont think that much retarding is necessary...you'll likely lose power like I did on the dyno. Technosquares sets total timing advance at about 16 degress towards redline. This tells me that 6-9 degrees of retard is the MAX you should ever need at 8.5psi. And with 94 octant, I would take out much less.

Let us know how the tuning goes....the idea is use a little timing retard as possible, while not breaching the knock threshold. That is the great thing about the J&S...you can just pull a little bit of timing, and the let the auto features take care of the rest.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:41 PM
MardiGrasMax

So has any one gotten the E-Manage and J&S to function together?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Enron Exec

Why not match the Apexi Super AFC and the J&S Safeguard for FI? I was thinking about this pair for a while but didnt see anyone use it on the boards.

Is it fair to say that anything over the 440cc injectors will require a stand alone or a combonation of the TS reflash+piggyback like the E-manage?

Last edited by Enron Exec; 07-12-2004 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:22 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

I am putting a J&S in my car Wednesday. It's gonna be the first automatic, so John of J&S will come out to TS to run his own tests and help with the install.

Will report back if you guys are interested.

Gurgen
Old 07-13-2004, 04:25 AM
lacartus

Originally posted by gurgenpb01
I am putting a J&S in my car Wednesday. It's gonna be the first automatic, so John of J&S will come out to TS to run his own tests and help with the install.

Will report back if you guys are interested.

Gurgen
Yes, please do report back. Very interested!
Old 07-13-2004, 07:03 AM
ttzofutah

k, my question is how do you guys think the J&S would work with this ecu, It gets rid of the MAS and you can control fuel, but it does not do timing at all, which is a big disadvantage.

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/mapecu.shtml

Would love some of your opinions!!!!!

Danny
Old 07-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by Enron Exec
Why not match the Apexi Super AFC and the J&S Safeguard for FI? I was thinking about this pair for a while but didnt see anyone use it on the boards.

Is it fair to say that anything over the 440cc injectors will require a stand alone or a combonation of the TS reflash+piggyback like the E-manage?

Fuel enrichement is more precise with the eManage vs. using a SAFC. eManage adds injector pulse width directly, vs. the SAFC which uses MAF condition to trick the ECU into delivering more fuel. Excessive MAF adjustments can cause unwanted timing advance, and possible limp mods..depending on the application.

The eManage can controll much larger injectors that 440cc, but it depends on your tolerance for idling, cruising, and driveabilty. The larger you go, the more difficult it becomes to get a smooth idle. The minimum IPW is aprox. 1ms, so a 710cc injector is going to deliver way more fuel in 1ms thatn a 440cc injector....so there are some limitations there.

Kudo's car, running 700plus cc injectors is using a combiniation of an 380cc TS reflash, and then scaling the injectors the rest of the way via eManage. I think you just have to play with it, and determine what is best for you application and your tolerance for drivability.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:48 AM
ttzofutah

this is not a SAFC, it is a MAP ECU. it gets rid of the MAF and turns into speed density. it has a full fuel Map inrichment. look at the site and see how you can control all points of the fuel.

I see it as a plus to get rid of the MAS with it also. so it basically is like runnin a VPC and a Emanage, without the ability to change timing. but i was wondering if that is where the J&S could come in?

Danny

Quick Reply: J&S Safeguard with Greddy TT and eManage