Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Edge Racing Converter is here (thanks Andre)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 04:57 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My Edge Racing Converter is here (thanks Andre)

It will go in tomorow, I just woke up (back on night shift, thanks Feds.)

My wife took our still camera to Atlanta so I am using my Camcorder to do a from the box to my car to the street mini movie that hopefully later someone will host.

I went with the "painted" version to stop corrosion and it is beautiful. It is a dark silver almost likedarker silver Z's.

It look and feels rock solid but it's just a metal donut.

The fun begins tommorow, Nissan is closed right now.

Whosdaddy, I will post back to this on shifting under FI and low end torque soon!

Peas!
Old 04-26-2004, 06:47 PM
greddy4777

cool...looking fwd to ur review...

good luck
Old 04-26-2004, 08:31 PM
whosdady

I can't wait to hear... Did Andre send you some new slicks to go with the converter? You may need them
Old 04-27-2004, 03:52 AM
12SecZ

The tires are in the works, Nissan opens at 0730 it's almost 5am here. I am gonna stay up (just got home) and run it up there so it can be done when I wake up!
Old 04-27-2004, 04:36 PM
whosdady

How is it?
Old 04-28-2004, 04:48 AM
12SecZ

Sorry Scott I was in a battle (seriuosly) till 4am and I am going today to get it then posting results! I forced myself to stay up then drove 30 minutes each way to get them the verter (had it shipped here don't trust their parts dept) and now it is installed.

it was about 9am when I got home I slept then ate dinner showered and went straight back out to work and just got home from a bad night again. It's early though (almost 6am) and I am gonna get up about 2pm and go get it! I am as excited as you are. I know what a restalled verter can do so I know what to expect but until I put my foot on the gas it's all specualtion. I will do a WOT run with my camcorder (maybe EJ will co-pilot for safety) and we will focus on the rpm's and guages and you can see it not stick for yourself!

My video is gonna be better than text though. Sound and all.

When mine and yours was there he had 5 others too!

Where is yours at in the process?

Last edited by 12SecZ; 04-28-2004 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:44 AM
whosdady

Mine will be at Crawford Z today. However, I don't pick up my car until Tuesday the 4th of May. Its so hard waiting!

Anyway, I look forward to the video. It will also make me feel better to see your car shift at higher RPM's in full auto mode.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:11 PM
whosdady

Max,
Since I haven't heard anything from you in the last couple days, I'm concerned there may be some issues... How is it? Tell me it is amazing. Before the video, just give me a short review...
Old 04-29-2004, 02:24 PM
12SecZ

The only issue is Future Nissan only allows one mechanic to work on my car and he keeps doing other jobs and I am getting irrated because I am driving my gas guzzling SUV till I get it back.

I just called and he said the tranny verter is in, the tranny is in and he is installing the drive line and it might be ready at 500pm which is 1.5 hours from now. They do this (crawl like a snail) every time they get my car but at least they don't mess it up.

No issues I know of.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:43 PM
whosdady

Thats great news. Let me know your initial impressions prior to the video.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:15 PM
12SecZ

I most definitely will. I work a fixed post tonight all night though so won't be driving much. I am practically salivating but I don't like to rush them. Long story short an inept mechanic that installed my new engine and then mounted the blower didn't align the pulley's right (which warped one) didn't attach the bottom radiator hose all the way (I burned my hand when I noticed it starting to get hot and tracked it down), had a boost line rubbing on the cog belt (which Technosquare caught and fixed for free) and had the steering wheel set crooked (rather than 10 o’clock 2 o’clock it was about 45 degrees off.)

I blew a fuse in writing in Max fashion to their service manager with pictures. I was irate after spending 9 grand!
Not only did they make it right but they gave me a new Stillen bumper and free paint job and promised that I only deal with one service writer and one mechanic to rule out excuses and finger pointing. It just so happens that this *good* mechanic is known by us at the track and knows race engines and blowers etc so he is the only one allowed to touch my car. Since then he has done everything perfectly but the cost is long down times. But for 500 bucks and a free oil change I am not complaining (well I am starting too, but I have been very patient so far.) I insisted they test drive it for awhile then recheck the tranny fluid because on my last Verter after about 10 miles post install I was a quart low and it’s harder to check on our cars. I advise everyone swapping Verters to do this. I will post here and email you too bro as soon as I drive it home because it's a 30 minute drive, that should be a good test
Old 04-29-2004, 03:19 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

Originally posted by 12SecZ
The only issue is Future Nissan only allows one mechanic to work on my car and he keeps doing other jobs and I am getting irrated because I am driving my gas guzzling SUV till I get it back.

I just called and he said the tranny verter is in, the tranny is in and he is installing the drive line and it might be ready at 500pm which is 1.5 hours from now. They do this (crawl like a snail) every time they get my car but at least they don't mess it up.

No issues I know of.

This may not be a problem for you. I found that it took a little driving time for the entrained air to work it's way out of the TC. No air = better TC performance.

DaveO
Old 04-29-2004, 04:54 PM
12SecZ

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I test it out. Did they test drive yours then readd fluid DaveO?
Old 04-29-2004, 06:03 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

Originally posted by 12SecZ
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I test it out. Did they test drive yours then readd fluid DaveO?
Yes the mechanic test drove my car and was said to have had a big smile on his face afterwords.

After driving home (about 20 miles) I checked and found the level exactly at the top of the Hot line (the cross hatched area). After driving around for a couple of days the level was down slightly (but still above 1/2 way in the hot zone)... and no, I didn't have any leaks.

I hope you're happy with your modified TC. We're all waiting to hear your impressions.

DaveO
Old 04-29-2004, 09:09 PM
webcarconnection

Well my buddy put the same Converter tuesday... test it on the street and the car was pulling like a beast... we went to the track yesterday to see the 11 seg pass (he already did 12.0@115 with Greddy TT(6.8 psi) Greddy Evo Exhaust and Cats pipes) the car just star to spin the slicks (like never before) and on the 1/8 mile the car just have some kind of explotion and he let off the gas pedal... doing this he did 12.5 @ 102, I was in shock... the car just pull like a rocket... the bad news is that he at least broke 2 or 3 pistons and rods... and even got a hole on the block
But the good news is that a Forged set of piston and rods and everything else is on their way
the point is that this edge converter is like the missing part for all the Automatics Z's

Thanks to Max for refering Edge Racing Converters
Old 04-30-2004, 08:45 AM
turbo-maxima

Video, Video! Damn he blew the engine on 6.8 psi. Someone messed with his tuning. It should not blow!
Old 04-30-2004, 10:37 AM
1G'

which one did you go with Max?? and how much was it??
Old 04-30-2004, 10:47 AM
whosdady

It seems like this T/C is drawing a lot of press. I guess the question becomes, why did we wait so long to try this?

Max, whats taking so long? Just a simple thumbs up will do. I need to hear there is no shifting issues and that the TS flash and PE injectors will handle the power
Old 04-30-2004, 04:25 PM
12SecZ

Hi,

First question,
You call Andre and tell him your mods and goals and he bases the restall on that. My goal was more low end torque till the boost kicked in, I'm sure everyone already knows my mods by now.

Second question as to why we waited. Just for fun search back about 14 months around December 2002 you will find I was asking about this no one knew much about it and no one (including Level 10) would touch our cars.) It was to be my first mod, now it is my last lol it worked out well.

Video is coming, who is going to host it? Its 1710 PST here and I leave for work in 2 hours so the video won't happen today.

Webcar, I agree with T Maxima what you described sounds like Bluefishes engine with two much Nitrous I am running 9 PSI it was probably your timing or A/F ratio not the internals at that boost level.

Driving impressions:
Jerky idle for about 32 miles is the only thing I have noticed. It seems to get better every time I drive it (ECU relearning?) I talked to my mechanic about air in the system and he said no way. I believe him they were very thorough.

My A5T Touring seems to like to launch better with TC off at WOT.

OK good stuff:
A sales person (female) was admiring my car and told me to do a burnout. I obliged...
I power braked and the cars *** end just sat there fishtailing. (TC off and Torque Management off) then I launched at WOT and it was immediate and smooth. I hit 7k rpm's 9I was in Manual 1) in milliseconds. I laid plenty of rubber but it was smooth. Those who have the A5T w/ SCer will like this part. It is no longer jerky and lazy (lacking torque and shifting funky) it is smooth through all the gears and it goes straight to boost. I tried some Auto Mode Wot runs and the delay from N/A to boost (watching my boost gauge) is gone. It feels like my 55 shot of Nitrous did when I first install my ZEX kit. It launches hard and smooth and if you want to WOT or race you better be a good driver if you tell him you want an aggressive stall for the 1/4 because I embarrassed a Maro SS and he was nice enough to wave, that was respect.
If I dynoed I would bet that I am within 5 HP of my guess (going off my SOTP Meter) that it added about 55rwTQ. I can say this because I had a 55 N20 shot and I know exactly how it and a 75 shot felt so it is in between those two. The video will have to speak for itself, it's in the 90's here right now, I work nights and dinner is my priority right now but I PROMISE a video and I PROMISE (Scott) that you will be happy and feel more comfortable about your car and the money you spent. Be sure to tell Doug that I think the ECU does a little relearning of the shift points and I have Consult II printout if he wants to look at it that clearly shows it was learning during their test drive.

Last of all GURGEN.

Thanks to you for paving the way and doing all of the guinea pig stuff with the different stalls. Without you I wouldn't be making this post and I thank you. I did get your call too but I was racing a SS when the phone was ringing

TWO THUMBS UP FOR THIS MOD! I am a *very* happy man.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:48 PM
whosdady

This is great news Max. As usual, thank you for going out of your way to write a great review and also for trying something new and different. I have a feeling Andre will be getting a few more phone calls after this post.

My car will be dynoed shortly. I will be able to give a rough estimate of increased rwtq. Even if it was only 20 rwtq I would be happy but 55 rwtq

Quick Reply: My Edge Racing Converter is here (thanks Andre)