Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

MY KILL list....:)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Kills Fluid...

No one ever seems to want to race me when I'm in my G Coupe, but there's always someone wanting to go when I'm driving my wifes G sedan - to bad she's always in the car and she doesn't find street racing fun...
Old 05-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Aloharacing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice reading...

Man, I miss the Wednesday night fun drags @ sac raceway....
Old 05-12-2004, 05:36 PM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by zxsaint
Didn't you guys know that C5's are unbeatable? or any LS1 equipped car for that matter.

You could strap a JATO rocket to your car and still lose.

Nice kills. I command thee to get a videocam so that we may enjoy these kills with you. It's not nice to have all this fun and not share!!

That's awesome. My best friend has a '97 C5 and he says that line all the time (as a joke, unlike some who believe it). The 97s came with 3.43 rear ends for fuel economy and could have much better times with re-gearing.

The big question is what happens if two LS1 cars race each other. If one wins, does reality cease to exist?
Old 05-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Rayden2001

Originally posted by UsafaRice
That's awesome. My best friend has a '97 C5 and he says that line all the time (as a joke, unlike some who believe it). The 97s came with 3.43 rear ends for fuel economy and could have much better times with re-gearing.

The big question is what happens if two LS1 cars race each other. If one wins, does reality cease to exist?
LOL, I had a 99 vette and know what it does 1/4 mile. Everyone thinks a zo6 or c5 vette is unbeatable. The zo6 lays down 365rwhp and 360trq avrg. With a tuned turbo or sc kit ,we will hang with them or own them. Wait .... who am I kidding, I'll still lose because its a c5 This is even better, I have a new lamborghini ... damn I'm still gonna lose to a c5.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:47 AM
kjbalto

The M3 is rated at 333hp, is that to the wheels or the crank? Is it only Nissan that rates the cars at the crank or everybody does? For instance, the Evo is 271hp, I was assuming that was to the wheels. GQ, my neighbor took me for a ride in his Evo, it's actually posted on Ultimate Racing's website. It's a blue one under the customers section that says Gil from NY. His dynoed at I think 335hp or something like that. How do you think you would hang with a modded evo like that from a stop at a light? Let's just say 0-60? Would you lay the smack down or would it be close?
Old 05-13-2004, 05:25 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally posted by kjbalto
The M3 is rated at 333hp, is that to the wheels or the crank? Is it only Nissan that rates the cars at the crank or everybody does? For instance, the Evo is 271hp, I was assuming that was to the wheels. GQ, my neighbor took me for a ride in his Evo, it's actually posted on Ultimate Racing's website. It's a blue one under the customers section that says Gil from NY. His dynoed at I think 335hp or something like that. How do you think you would hang with a modded evo like that from a stop at a light? Let's just say 0-60? Would you lay the smack down or would it be close?
the M3's 333hp is rated at the crank and an Evo putting down 335 to the wheels would take a boosted Z(taking that the Z is only boosting between 6-8psi) of the line with no problem, but from a roll its a different story the Z would walk it with no problem
Old 05-13-2004, 05:42 AM
mcduck

The M3 is rated at 333hp, is that to the wheels or the crank?
That's at the crank... the M5 (not the brand new M5, the one going out) is good for around 320 at the wheels, tho.

Nice kills, fluidz! Before my car was tuned properly (that is, when I was running 350 to the wheels, not the 420 I have now), my first kill was stock late 90s Viper RT/10 from about 15mph roll. Also took the aforementioned M5 from a highway speed roll, but only by a car length or two.

Also, if you want a comparison to a modded 350Z without FI, we need to get Chris (PhoenixINX) on this thread. We did a drop from 80mph when I was up in TN for a car show. I'm not sure how many car lengths I pulled on him or how quickly (too busy driving), but someone following in a chase car said I barked my wheels at 80!

I luv my Vortech!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 07:30 AM
knuguy

All manufactures rate at the crank, it makes the numbers look better. Also all you guys talk about is HP, torque is what gets you going, so its kinda important..............
Old 05-13-2004, 10:08 AM
kjbalto

Why do you say that an Evo with 335hp will take a boosted Z? Most of the boosted cars have more hp than that. The Z is lighter also. I would've thought the Z would take the Evo. Can you explain why you say that?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

It think he means that with most normal drivers, the Evo would kill a boosted Z from 0-60 due to traction problems. It is really challenging to get a good start with my TT Z, where the EVO can just practically floor it and dump the clutch. Stock evo's are mid 4sec 0-60 cars, and with a professional driver, the Greddy TT car is about 4.6sec at 6psi. Traction is the enemy. Even if the Z was boosting 10psi, You'd be hard-pressed to improve on a 0-60 time. 1/4 mile is whole different story.....
Old 05-13-2004, 11:40 AM
kjbalto

The traction on your Z is that bad after the TT install? You guys have a 100hp advantage over a stock Evo and you think you would get killed? I have a G35 that I'm waiting to get the JWT kit for and now you're making me depressed hearing this. lol
Old 05-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

traction blows!!

even launching the Z at say 2500 or lower rpm and trying to get a slight bog just to get the wheels moving.. but then all of a sudden you'll be spinning the tires up past 2nd gear... when boost kicks in..

from a start, i would think a stock caliver would have a hole shot !! (just kidding)

i just need to practice launching more...
Old 05-13-2004, 12:36 PM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by Chebosto
traction blows!!

even launching the Z at say 2500 or lower rpm and trying to get a slight bog just to get the wheels moving.. but then all of a sudden you'll be spinning the tires up past 2nd gear... when boost kicks in..

from a start, i would think a stock caliver would have a hole shot !! (just kidding)

i just need to practice launching more...
I think we need a good wider wheel setup/ taller gears in 1 and 2/ or even a switch to switch boost levels on the fly. Called overtake?

I saw a bestmotoring video once where all these tuned Skylines were racing. It was pretty even till some guy reached over in the Esprit Skyline and flicked it from about .9 bar to 1.5 bar. It honestly looked like he hit the nitrous or something.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

The traction on your Z is that bad after the TT install? You guys have a 100hp advantage over a stock Evo and you think you would get killed? I have a G35 that I'm waiting to get the JWT kit for and now you're making me depressed hearing this. lol
Sorry for the bad news...buts its true. Maybe when I switch to 285 rears, I might get a bit better start....for now, I am fricken burning out in 3rd gear...not just a little chirp either. I've said this before, but the raw WHP numbers on paper really dont mean a whole lot when comparing 0-60 times on a car. There are so many other factors involved. Primarily, the EVO is AWD, so it gets an absolutely killer hole shot.

Now, once rolling, it would be a whole different story. I still would like to race an EVO from say.....20mph-100mph and see what happens. I am certain my car would kill a stock evo under those circumstances. I'd even stand a pretty good chance against a Cavalier...don't ya think Cheston?

Old 05-13-2004, 01:57 PM
little_rod

Would love to hear some of you guys lauching techiques........

Man, you have the exact same tires I have gq, can't imagine burning them out in 3rd, lol. Wish they had R-compounds in 19s.....
Old 05-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Yancy

kjbalto,
Traction can be a problem in a TTZ. At 8 pounds I have spun the car from a start through 1st gear, through 2nd and 3rd gear and it stopped spinning after I lift my right foot. I'm not talking about getting a chip at shifts, I'm talking about probably moving 20 mph at the top of 3rd just because the car hasn't really moved very far Seriously. I did that one time just to see how traction really was at WOT mashing it. I can launch the TTZ now with little slippage (although I have almost lost the car two or three times because it has kicked so far sideways when shifting into 2nd gear). It's all about practice and I'm still practicing. All of my races have been from a roll of 15 mph or higher though.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:23 PM
zimbo

This is one area where a supercharger may have a slight advantage over TT. Because SC boost is RPMs based, you don't get that sudden lurch of power.

I'm using 265/40-18 BF Goodrich drag radials as my daily driver tires now and if I drop the clutch at 3500 rpms one time to clean the tires, I can (with just a touch of feathering) launch very cleanly at 4500 rpms with almost no wheel spin.

Good rubber, a good LSD (i.e. better than the viscous stock LSD), and a bit of practice mean everything. In my first 3 trips to the drag strip I literally had only ONE launch where my 60' time was less than 2.1 seconds. One of those times I even had DRs on and I still sucked big time.

I installed the Nismo LSD, practiced a bit and on my last visit to the track a week ago I had at least 10 launches where my 60' time was in the 1.95 second range. Unfortunately, it was freaking hot and humid that evening so my other times/traps were relatively slow but the launching was great.

You guys who talk about literally burning out after the shift into 2nd must have a WAY faster car than mine. Of course, I've got the sedan (heavier=slower) and my torque numbers are much less than some of you guys with the TTs are getting.

Anyway, enough rambling. When you 8psi TT guys figure out the traction problem (anyone else put in the Nismo LSD--it made a HUGE difference IMO) I think we'll routinely see sub 12-second quarters.

--Steve
Old 05-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Here is an interesting though. If there was some way to mount a thumb activated traction control switch on the streeting wheel or shift ***, then you could launch the car with traction control on, and then once you get rolling, you could disengage it. Not sure if this has been done or talked about before.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:33 PM
zimbo

Originally posted by gq_626
Here is an interesting though. If there was some way to mount a thumb activated traction control switch on the streeting wheel or shift ***, then you could launch the car with traction control on, and then once you get rolling, you could disengage it. Not sure if this has been done or talked about before.
The problem is that (at least on the G35) the traction control totally bogs everything down.

--Steve
Old 05-13-2004, 05:21 PM
G3po

Default traction

What you need is a wheel spin actuated boost retard controller
It's quite possible , though I don't think anyone has ever done it.

Quick Reply: MY KILL list....:)