Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Zeitronix wideband A/F meter

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 08:42 PM
CaneZMD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zeitronix wideband A/F meter

I've been checking out the zeitronix zt-2 wideband meter. It runs about $399 with a display that will show boost, lambda, a/f and EGT simultaneously on a digital readout. (Boost sensor is $140)
It looks like a good system, and it comes with datalogging software that shows the above, plus RPM, throttle percent, etc.

I was wondering if anyone has this gauge and how they like it.

Also, I would like to also have an analog gauge. It has a 0-5v analog output, but who makes a gauge that could use this 0-5v out to display the a/f in an analogue format?
Old 05-18-2004, 03:54 PM
G3po

Default A/F guage

I was considering this A/F unit, I think that a "DEFI A/F guage"
may work with the analog "NB simulated" output of the zt-2.
You may want to ping them.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:50 PM
was wesman

Default Re: Zeitronix wideband A/F meter

Originally posted by CaneZMD
I've been checking out the zeitronix zt-2 wideband meter. It runs about $399 with a display that will show boost, lambda, a/f and EGT simultaneously on a digital readout. (Boost sensor is $140)
It looks like a good system, and it comes with datalogging software that shows the above, plus RPM, throttle percent, etc.

I was wondering if anyone has this gauge and how they like it.

Also, I would like to also have an analog gauge. It has a 0-5v analog output, but who makes a gauge that could use this 0-5v out to display the a/f in an analogue format?
Have a link ? How does it measure all of those things? Does it have individual sensors or does it pull some of it from the ECU like the Blitz r-vit ?

--wes
Old 05-18-2004, 08:01 PM
CaneZMD

It gets boost, and EGT from add-on sensors and pulls the rest from the ECU feeds.

I realy want an analog gauge to go with this meter. I know I could by an autometer and hook it in to the narrowband simulated output, but I'd really like a wideband analog gauge.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:55 AM
G3po

Default A/F

The DEFI A.F D- guage "is" an analog stepper motor needle guage. It is not like the worthless "color bar NB"variety offered by Autometer and others. I expect that the DEFI on the Simulated output of ZT-2 would operate just like a straight version to the naked eye. If you don't like that method you can always put in two bungs, one left , one right , one for logging , the other for visual analog.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:57 AM
etx

That 1vcd analog output is there to trick your ecu. If you hook a gauge to it the gauge will display the same jibberish as it would on a NB sensor I believe. I'll throw the multimeter on it when I get a chance.

I just finished installing the zt-2 yesterday. I put it in the driver side downpipe and removed the stock nbO2. It does a killer job of emulating the nb sensor, I watch my tuel trims on bank 1 and 2 and they are almost identical! But the Z does a test on startup of the o2 sensors, so I am sporting a Check engine light.

I'll do a full writeup soon. I have not decided if I am going to leave it setup like this, or weld another bung into the exhaust for the wbo2 and reinstall the nbo2 back into the downpipe. I think I am going to go with option two here shortly.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:12 AM
derek_i

Originally posted by etx
That 1vcd analog output is there to trick your ecu. If you hook a gauge to it the gauge will display the same jibberish as it would on a NB sensor I believe. I'll throw the multimeter on it when I get a chance.

I just finished installing the zt-2 yesterday. I put it in the driver side downpipe and removed the stock nbO2. It does a killer job of emulating the nb sensor, I watch my tuel trims on bank 1 and 2 and they are almost identical! But the Z does a test on startup of the o2 sensors, so I am sporting a Check engine light.

I'll do a full writeup soon. I have not decided if I am going to leave it setup like this, or weld another bung into the exhaust for the wbo2 and reinstall the nbo2 back into the downpipe. I think I am going to go with option two here shortly.
SKiDaZZLe made me a very nice O2 simulator for $30 shipped, which might correct that. It is being installed tomorrow.

-D
Old 05-19-2004, 11:27 AM
G3po

Default CEL

If the CEL issue persist , you should bug Zeitronix to add some form of spoofing O2 check spoofing. Any workable street solution shouldn't cause CEL's IMO.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:15 PM
etx

I'm going to try a relay, or just installing another bung in my testpipe. I dunno...
Old 05-20-2004, 04:30 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that this was the difference b/w the NB and WB output:

NB output is a 0-1v output, and an appropriate A/F gauge (like the automter and the Defi A/F) can read that and convert the signal into an a/f reading. WB output is a 0-5v range; this requires a gauge that will accept a WB 0-5v signal. The difference b/w the two, and a huge one at that, lies in the RESOLUTION. 0-5v output offers muc hmore resolution than 0-1v, 5 times the resolution in fact. This is why the WB O2 gauges are accurate to within less than +-0.1 A/F units, whereas the NB gauges are accurate to within +-0.2-0.3 at best. It is of course up to the user to decide how much of an accuracy he/she can tolerate, but IMO no seriously reliable tuning can be achieved by a NB 0-1v gauges output, esp. in FI applications.

To clarify, in the case of NB output, I am not saying that the output is based on NB o2 sensor output. It is in fact based on WB sensor readings, but are signaled on a smaller 0-1v scale (that we call NB analog output).
Old 05-20-2004, 04:41 PM
G3po

Default WB NB

No one is tuning A/F with an Analog guage alone.
The guage is just fro rough check while driving . The real tuning occurs with a WB output logged to PC etc. The ZT-2 provides to basic A/F outputs. The NB is intended to provide a "spoof" signal to the ECU if you don't want to add another bung. The WB output can be displayed digitally on a small LCD or to a PC were it can be logged. All tuning operations would use the WB output logged to PC. The tuning proces occurs interatively by analysing the plots offline, not while your driving and stareing at a guage. The guage is basically there as a Gee whiz and a sanity check.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:22 PM
CaneZMD

Exactly, I'll use the datalog for tuning, but I would like an analog reflection of the wbo2 output just to peak at from time to time to make sure everything is OK. Just to ease my OCD.

So the simulated output is throwing a SES light, that's interesting. I was planning on adding a bung just in front of cat on the driver side bank. That shold avoid the problem altogether.

ETX, hurry up and do that write up, my stuff is in the mail and I'd like some info on how it works for you.

G3po, talk to me about the Defi A/f gauge. How is it different from an autometer, etc. I know defi is needle and autometer is lights, but other than that, how are they different?
Old 05-20-2004, 09:55 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

I agree with you... but getting the Zeitronix (even if just the bare kit w/o the display) and a separate gauge still adds up to, if not surpasses, the price of the all-in-one AEM WB gauge solution, which can still do datalogging and of course display the true/accurate WB a/f measurements in real time.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:14 AM
G3po

Default A/F

Well WRT to the ZT-2 solution , I'm a little biased becuase I have a PC and 7" Xenarc TS display permanently mounted in my G.
So the ZT-2 appears to be a perfect fit for me, since I can log the primary variables to my local hard drive on the fly. The guage is simply going to be there for asthetics and random CYA checks.

Don't get me wrong the AEM product looks great (accept the guage is a little to big and doesn't blend in with the DEFI-D Guages I use. Also note the ZT-2 can log EGT WRT RPM etc. I have never had this luxury before, but since I may toy with Water injection on this app. later on it is valuable info.

I haven't tried the DEFI-D A/F guage yet , but basically it's a stepper motor guage which allows for a smooth movement of the needle. It may require a little scaling and damping to make it work right with the ZT-2 output. The Autometer IMO with the bar graph looks tacky and doesn't integrate well with my other guages. I've used one before and it provided little useable info except that ,yes the ECU does a good job maintaining stoic when off boost. What a "needle" provides is a quick view that the A/F is rolled down the curve in a monotonic fashion and spans a sane range. As far as perfect absolutes , it's just not that important while driving.

The three gauges im putting in the A-pillar are Vac/Boot , Fuel PSI, A.F . I usually add a small toggle switch so the Fuel PSI guage can play double duty as an oil psi (2 senders . one guage).
These 3 defi guages IMO will visually integrate well with the G OEM dash guages.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Hmm...this seems like a comparable amount of cost, and increased amount of hassel vs. just installing the AEM wideband guage. Other than costmetic concern that it doesn "look" like a normal sweeping hand guage...I dont see any drawbacks. I found mine for $425...others have picked them up for $400.

Of course..I am biased because I have the AEM installed on my A-Pillar and I'm data logging it to my profec e-01