Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

NISMO internals vs. AEBS stroker kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 01:42 PM
bruschijr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NISMO internals vs. AEBS stroker kit

Hope one hasn't already started but I'd like to hear some opinions on which one is better I tried to compare them as equally as I could to determine price vs parts, and your comments on which you think is better and why... Prices were from AEBS itself and Z-1 automotive.

AEBS 4.3 liter Stroker kit -->

T-Sleeves
Connecting Rods
Pistons (3 types available)

Turbo 8.5 : 1 / 100mm, engine size 4231.16cc
N/A 11.0 : 1 / 101.5mm, engine size 4269.35cc
N/A 11.5 : 1 / 101.5mm, engine size 4269.35cc
Includes chrome steel rings, wrist pins and clips

Custom cut Cometic head gasket
custom billet steel crankshaft
Stroke: 90mm (stock is 81mm)

Quoted by AEBS at $7800.00

NISMO fabricated stroker kit....matched up same items..

Rods and pistons $3000 - i think same size as stock.
Crankshaft - $2799 - nickel-chrome-molybdenum steel
Headgasket - $349

About $6150....

Make up a difference in price from the iron sleeves and the AEBS kit might cost less... I believe this includes labor on the engine for the bigger pistons too. So what are some thoughts.... I have no knowledge in this area... but would love to hear the ideas brought up.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AEBS price only includes the install of the sleeves...nothing else.

NISMO pistons and rods are just rebadged American parts (JE pistons, and I forget whose rods). The crank is a JDM only piece, and is Nissan genuine.

Don't forget to price out the bearings too for both....
Old 05-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Guru

I was ordering some stuff from Darton today and their MID sleeves should be ready soon. They are testing now. Might be a nice lower cost solution. Should be in the $1000 range for the sleeves.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:18 PM
scubasteve

I thought it was determined that the VQ35 came with iron/steel?? cylinders.......so why the need for sleeves? The pictures I have seen show thick cylinder walls.

Last edited by scubasteve; 05-20-2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:32 PM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the biggest diff will be where you make the power and what you do with it, the aebs will have much more torque everywhere but will not rev nearly as high as a well built nismo engine. the nismo internals should allow rpms in excess of 8500. YOU WILL MAKE MORE POWER WITH THE STROKER, its a 4.3l ya know. but the nismo one could be better depending on your needs. you could definitely cut about 1k off the cost of the nismo by sourcing rods and pistons elsewhere, and the motor should be able to go big boost. now heres my opinion, if staying n/a get the stroker its gonna make the car a monster of an na car, if you wanna boost get the nismo, you will make much more power than na at decent boost than you will ever need

Last edited by PoWeRtRiP; 05-20-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:28 PM
DrCold

I thought AEBS said that their stroker kit could rev to 8k or so. To me that sounds pretty good. But then again, thats what I'm looking for. An engine that will rev 8k and still have a healthy torque curve down low. Dreaming? Yeah, probably.

Could you just imagine it tho? 4.3L twin turbo. 8.5:1 pistons, Nismo heads (which bumps it to what, 9.5?), and internals that will spin to 8k. That would be sooooo nice. Talk about a street machine.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:41 PM
ZxRage

I agree, that setup would be out of this world...
Old 05-20-2004, 02:53 PM
bruschijr

The reason for the new sleeves is because of the larger walls to make it 4.3 liter... I think I was told for turbo it would be 4.2 liter.
Anyway... if it can safely rev to the 8k mark that should be well over enough to make some rediculous power out of a 6 cyl. How much do you think it could hold... think it could hit the 1000 mark? Like i said i dont know much about this stuff....but I love the info so far.

As for the top end..... what do you suggest besides the heads? I have no idea what kind of cams you should use for a turbo or if it even matters...

If we are talking about a difference of (to be safe) 1000rpms - Ill say 7500rpm vs 8500rpms does it make much of a difference at all if you have a turbo? My boost is in full by 3 grand. I could see a SC would make a diff. Am I wrong? Someone edjumacte me.

If thats the case... since i have the turbo already why not go with the 4.3 that revs a little less than the 3.5? Oh, and what do you think you could do to the AEBS kit...parts sub.... to let it rev a little higher? Or is that not possible?
Old 05-21-2004, 05:15 AM
PoWeRtRiP

first of all i doubt the stroker could rev that high since it increases displacement by increasing the length of the stroke making each revolution longer, but what do i know. second a stroker kit with a turbo ( i urge against using this on the greddy 18gs this could handle some very big twins easy) it would be able to make well over 1000 hp if the block can handle it. 1000 rpms can be all the difference in the world if that is where your engine makes its best power you want to stay in it as much as possible, its all about useable powerband.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:19 PM
bruschijr

Powetrip said:
( i urge against using this on the greddy 18gs this could handle some very big twins easy)

What did you mean here?
Old 05-21-2004, 06:28 PM
turbo-maxima

Stroker kkits are about torque and low-end? I would want to rev over 7000 rpm with that stroker kit.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:31 PM
bruschijr

so then why would they make a turbo stroker kit.....

what kind of application would you use it for? Creating a 4.3 liter engine would ulitmatley give you more power anyway right? Turbo or not?
Old 05-22-2004, 10:02 AM
turbo-maxima

Stroker kit enables you to use a bigger turbo, without reving really high.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:22 AM
PoWeRtRiP

i would use at least a pair of 20gs those 18gs would be tiny on a 4.3 liter. you might as well use the biggest possible turbo you can so long as it fits you characteristis (not too much lag) the 4.3 could spool big turboes very easily.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:36 AM
bruschijr

I see... thanks for clarifying.. think the 20's would fit?

I was talking to GQ yesterday.... I think im gonna step out on a ledge and get the stroker kit next... I've had all kinds of ideas before that... but I am getting really interested in this kit...

Like I said in an earlier post... I'd like to get as close as possible to 800whp or 1000 at the crank... looking into some crazy options..

Think Ti connecting rods with Ti valves and retainers would do the trick.. I'm contemplating cryo freezing, DLC coating, or ceramic coating the internals...

Not happening for about a month.. but count me in as a pioneer for building this engine.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:01 AM
PoWeRtRiP

if all you want is 1000 crank you dont need the stroker, but it does help, you could hit those numbers with just internal engine work. the 18gs will not hit that number they are worth about 300hp a piece so you might as well make the turbo kit right for your goals. if you want big power lag must not be important to you so why not just get a single large turbo like an sp-76. or something along those lines. or if you stay twins why not 2 25gs?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:02 AM
bruschijr

Im kinda embarrassed to ask this... Hope i dont make anyone think im stupid.... i originally wanted to ask powertrip by PM'ing him... but his mailbox is full... once again.... please dont flame me if this is a totally retarted question.... never asked... never heard it asked... wanna at least get an answer.

Message to Powertrip:
Please dont call me stupid for asking this.... I'm still in the process of learning.... but I will have the funds for something rediculous..

I figure we are the only ones talking about this so why not PM?

Would it be possible..or stupid to throw on a SC and get custom piping... or is that just an extremely retarted question...

Do the turbos stop working after they have hit thier #'s for example... after 300+300+287 = 887.... will i damage the turbos with exhaust or other mods that could bring it up higher than that? Or can i add say 25lbs of boost with the TT's and add another 10lbs with a SC? I know there is a lot of work with fuel, timing...drivetrain... Im up to date on the fact that its not bolt and go... I just wanted to know if its possible... Im hoping adding a SC will nullify the no boost period...or will the 25lbs of TT boost overkill the 10lbs of boost from the SC and not let it come in the engine.... seems like youd know... I'd really like to keep the setup I have with everything lining up with the piping... Im sure larger turbos would require even more work..... just wanted to see if thats a solution.

So if I get a stroker kit that gives me x amount of power extra NA right from the start will I build HP like this... 287 from engine...600 from turbo's plus X HP from stroker... plus other add ons... or does it not work like that?
Old 05-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Dom

Several people added a SC on a Turbo setup.
A german tuner offers the opposite. They install a turbo on the
SLK kompressor engine and it goes well.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:57 AM
PoWeRtRiP

yes but how does it work? heres what i see happening, since you have a twin turbo on the car there are likely two intakes into the manifold plus a third intake for the sc/unless you somehow pipe it to use the intake of a turbo. but heres the caveat if its a centri then the sc wont make boost until upper rpms thus you would have 10 psi from the sc vs 25 turbo so unless you somehow utilize a flange/throttle body independent of the turbos you will have the 25 psi of the turbo leak out the path of least resistance straight to the sc to equalize pressure. thus causing a serious problem with your fuel system as this air was read by the maf once then exits out your intake. a much easier alternative to this would be using n02 to spool the lower rpms. like a 50 shot to get you going. an sc could be used in conjunction with it somehow but i cant imagine how you could make it fit under the hood. and it would likely need to be eaton style which would drastically increase under hood operating temps.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:01 AM
PoWeRtRiP

if you are interested in a similar functioning turbo setup research the sequential setup of a 3rd gen rx-7. it utilizes a small turbo to spool quickly at low rpms then in the mid range the small turbo is used to spool a larger turbo for the top end.

Quick Reply: NISMO internals vs. AEBS stroker kit