Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

So my Z caught on FIRE...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004 | 06:40 AM
KShep

Your story is everyone's nightmare after a major modification install. You chose a shop that, for whatever reason, did not have your best interest, or your vehilces', at heart. You expected them to do quality work. When you discovered that all was not right, I believe you acted as anyone who cared about their car would...take it to someome else. You're out some cash that you shouldn't be, but hopefully now all will be right. Good luck Slay, that really is abysmal treatment by a shop.
Old 05-26-2004 | 07:01 AM
Phatmitzu

Oh wow, after reading what happened, it makes me really really want to shop around and research ANY install on my car. Well, at least you are running well now...on a TT!! No matter what, you are still a lucky dude!

Good luck on that C/C thingy...get that money back!

Old 05-26-2004 | 07:06 AM
etx

Jeeeezzz. Sorry to hear that man.

The only harness I can think of that would be affected by the greddy install is the one on the passenger side of the tranny. It comes close to the turbo and greddy supplies heat wrap to keep it from burning. I can't see the wireing starting on fire from an excess of current, that's what fuses are for. The fuse would have poped before the wires catch on fire.

Another example of why you should do the work yourself. I don't even let people work on my brakes or change my oil. It's cheaper and you know the job got done right.
Old 05-26-2004 | 07:27 AM
tig488

tell them they are gonna lose a lot more business after you run their name thru the mud, than if they just refunded the money you paid for the install, its their choice, especially after the fire, businesses have to learn they are responsible for their actions, if not they should be shut down!
Old 05-26-2004 | 08:16 AM
slay2k

ETX: About the fuses, I think what actually started the fire was a metal ring around one of those wires... I guess the ring is what conducted the electricity between the battery and the starter ? Even after they put the fire out, that metal piece was like... 1000 degrees... melting hot.
Old 05-26-2004 | 09:06 AM
12SecZ

Service not rendered to your satisfaction.

You will need a second opinion on company letterhead from ATX.

I would argue that it was unsafe to take it back there and if you want to get *real* technical you *did* take it back there more than once, enough for them to fix it IMHO.

Anyways as for small claims there is a maximum.

You do not have to take anyone to court to dispute charges they have to take you to court. When they do you can counter sue.

Cross that bridge when you come to it.

Thanks for sharing man, just goes to show that the FI world isn't all bolt on and speed away it can be a nightmare!

Sorry it had to happen to you bro!
Old 05-26-2004 | 01:17 PM
350Now

I feel for you Slay. Glad that your car is working now. Actually this is interesting, I was reading something on the RX7 forum a while back and Acosta was mentioned to be a crappy installer. They did some work on RX7 that blew customers cars.
Old 05-26-2004 | 01:35 PM
SirMikel1

I know another certain person who took their car out of Acosta because they mentioned that Acosta was being "shady" about certain things.
Old 05-26-2004 | 01:42 PM
slay2k

Just confirmed that the fire was started from a metal clamp on a hose that went from the battery to the alternator to the starter... it got "grounded" somewhere near the starter and the clamp lit everything up.
Old 05-26-2004 | 07:38 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by slay2k
Just confirmed that the fire was started from a metal clamp on a hose that went from the battery to the alternator to the starter... it got "grounded" somewhere near the starter and the clamp lit everything up.
Any chance someone can post a pic of what Slay is refering to?? I'd like to double check my car as well.....I bet everyone with the Greddy kit would like to check this area out. Thanks!!
Old 05-26-2004 | 11:54 PM
adanande

what goes around comes around dont they forget it. I have also had prblems with mechanics that mess up and arent honest about it. If they were honest they wouldn't be ethically at fault although our liablity system scares the crapp out of everyone inccluding doctors the brain and hear mechanics. I think that if someone cant take a job they shoudn't and it is apparent that acousta accepted a job they could not do and didn't know the fist thing about. now youve elarned your lesson the har way i feel for you man stuff like this was why i sold my last car bad konis on a macpherson rsx install. the cuy cutt the stuts in half then teassemble them in my car. haha it was very dangerous.
Old 05-26-2004 | 11:56 PM
adanande

screw F1 motorsports int North Hollywood i dont car is Ice tee went ther Shaq and Exhibit go to Wescoast.
Old 05-27-2004 | 06:45 AM
slay2k

Default Pictures...

This is the wire with the clamp that started the fire and got fried...
Attached Thumbnails So my Z caught on FIRE...-small1.jpg  
Old 05-27-2004 | 06:47 AM
slay2k

Close-up...
Attached Thumbnails So my Z caught on FIRE...-small2.jpg  
Old 05-28-2004 | 05:54 AM
Steve@Evolution

LOL, they forgot to tighten the nut that attach the power harness to the starter. That's alot of current to fry anything in it's way.
Old 05-28-2004 | 07:48 AM
groovytang

damnn, i wouldn't want to be you right now
Old 05-28-2004 | 02:19 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

so that fire started closest to the starter? i am totally lost...thanks.
Old 05-28-2004 | 02:57 PM
fdao

Slay,

I am at lost for words. is all I can think of.

Well, what goes around, comes around. Things will work out.
Old 05-28-2004 | 03:50 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

i think i see exactly what happened, and i know why it happened too.

let me share my experiences with the Greddy TT install and 350z's lighting on fire.

When I first installed the passenger side oil return line on our 350z, I noted that I wished the center cartridge was clocked just a hair over because the return pipe was really ****in close to the starter power cable, so close that they were touching. I wasnt super concerned tho because I figured it wouldnt really rub since all this stuff is going to be moving together. After putting the return line on the pipe, wrapped in heat wrap, with the clamp holding it on.... I left it like that a few days. But I did note that the clamp was in direct contact with the little gray rubber power cable attachment nut cover on the large power cable to the starter.

Later on I decided I wanted to pull the turbo off and reclock it so that it would make more clearance between the oil return line and the starter power cable cover, just didnt like it like that.

I loosen the clamps on both sides of the oil return line, and I position myself to yank the return line off the turbo.

I begin to do so when I notice some extremely obvious electrical arching sounds, and then I take note that the line I am holding onto is now on fire.

I am using one hand to constantly pat the fire out, and i blow on it hard, but the second i take in another breath, it reignites. While playing this game, I yell for chris to disconnect the battery before something really starts on fire in a bad way. He does so, I give it my last breath, small fire is out.

I pull all the **** out to see exactly what happened, and it was easy to see. The way that the turbo came clocked from Greddy had the oil return line so close to this cable, that the clamp was contacting the rubber insulator on the power cable for the starter. Apparently this insulator is not very durable, and thru the process of me loosening and pulling off this clamp, it wore right thru it and the clamp contacted the main power cable terminal, sent the electricity down the metallic heat wrap, to whereever it was touching something causing a ground.

I am very glad that I decided to take off that turbo and reclock it, or this may have happened on the road. I was lucky enough to be able to keep control of the fire until it was put out, and I did not loose or damage any part other than the oil return hose, which I replaced.

I am a damn good and ****in picky *** mechanic, and this happened to me. It could happen to anyone.

To anyone installing this turbo kit, i highly recommend to reclock the center cartridge of the driver side turbo so that the oil return pipe is further away from the engine (and starter cable).

-Charles

Last edited by phunk; 05-28-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2004 | 08:59 PM
accordfreak

sorry to hear that man..
another reason why i would NEVER let someone touch my car with a big job like that or any minor installs for that matter.

if you want it done right you just gotta give up your time and do it yourself. you'll learn a lot during the process too

goodluck

Quick Reply: So my Z caught on FIRE...