Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Intercooler Sprayer!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 11:17 AM
was wesman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Aquamist is more designed to spray into the intake tract than on the outside of the IC. I have seen gains far and above 5%, I've seen people with gains of 30-40 rwhp, mind you most of these gains are because it allows you to run more boost/timing without detonation or increased intake/combustion temps.

--wes
Old 05-28-2004, 11:29 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ask the 300zx or eclipse guys about it^

the aquamist works well, but i read on nissanperformance mags that it actually loses some power due to something, but that it is more than made back by the ability to run more boost.

also lots of guys use ice on their intakes and plenum while its on the dyno, especially turboes.

Last edited by PoWeRtRiP; 05-28-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:42 AM
was wesman

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
^ask the 300zx or eclipse guys about it^

the aquamist works well, but i read on nissanperformance mags that it actually loses some power due to something, but that it is more than made back by the ability to run more boost.

also lots of guys use ice on their intakes and plenum while its on the dyno, especially turboes.
Yeah, I have a kit and am a 300zx guy I suppose. I've actually been there on the dyno observing the tuning etc with the different jet sizes etc. I haven't heard of it losing power in any way though

Since I have a SC and not a TT, it would be more difficult for me to take advantage of this kit. It is much easier to save several boost settings ona TT car in the boost controllers, than to change out pulleys ona SC for on/off injection runs.

If I had a TT setup i would absolutely use it on the 350 as it would be one of the few thigns that would allow us to boost more than 7-8psi.

Several of the 300 guys have raised the boost from 14-15 that they commonly run at Stage III before pinging/detonation and are running 17-18 psi on the water and additional timing.

--wes

Last edited by was wesman; 05-28-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Wicked4u2c

I still think think CO2/n2o method myst bar is way more effective and less hassle then water. You purge the valve and your intercooler is literally frozen! In which later with the hot air will turn into water. So its like with just water your missing the key ingredient and your cutting steps. I would choose having a small cyl of 10lb or even a baby 5lb bottle mounted somewhere hidden in the car and have it cool and be more efficient than popping my hood getting a bunch of ICE and filling in the container.. just my .02 cents...
Old 05-28-2004, 01:58 PM
was wesman

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
I still think think CO2/n2o method myst bar is way more effective and less hassle then water. You purge the valve and your intercooler is literally frozen! In which later with the hot air will turn into water. So its like with just water your missing the key ingredient and your cutting steps. I would choose having a small cyl of 10lb or even a baby 5lb bottle mounted somewhere hidden in the car and have it cool and be more efficient than popping my hood getting a bunch of ICE and filling in the container.. just my .02 cents...
Well...you're entitled to your opinion, that's cool.

Unfortunately you don't know how the Aquamist is setup in the first palce. There is no container for ICE, no ice, no popping of the hood etc.

BTW-I also like the idea of the nitrous spraying on the IC,such as the NX Ntercoolerkit, i was jsut trying to give more options for those out there

Basically most people use the windshield washer reservoir to supply the jets with water. There is no ise in this equation at all, however I do know what you're speaking of as I have a similar setup on my Lightning called a Powercooler. It is a box located under the hood that ICE/Water is added to and it cools a large coiled line before introducing the water into the IC.

On the Aquamist, obviously the water is pretty inexpensive, most use distilled/purified water due to additives etc, so other than the kit itself it is very inexpensive to maintain.

As far as worrying about filling somehting with ICE or popping the hood, most people pop the hood anyway between runs for cooling purposes....not to mention you would have to fill whatever it is you're running (nitrous,Co2 etc)

I know the powercooler and the Aquamist work, and work well, I'm sure the Ntercooler does as well......it makes sense that the Co2 etc would also work, I guess it boils down to what people want and what they are wiling to go through for the install/tuning.

--wes
Old 05-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by was wesman
Well...you're entitled to your opinion, that's cool.

Unfortunately you don't know how the Aquamist is setup in the first palce. There is no container for ICE, no ice, no popping of the hood etc.

BTW-I also like the idea of the nitrous spraying on the IC,such as the NX Ntercoolerkit, i was jsut trying to give more options for those out there

Basically most people use the windshield washer reservoir to supply the jets with water. There is no ise in this equation at all, however I do know what you're speaking of as I have a similar setup on my Lightning called a Powercooler. It is a box located under the hood that ICE/Water is added to and it cools a large coiled line before introducing the water into the IC.

On the Aquamist, obviously the water is pretty inexpensive, most use distilled/purified water due to additives etc, so other than the kit itself it is very inexpensive to maintain.

As far as worrying about filling somehting with ICE or popping the hood, most people pop the hood anyway between runs for cooling purposes....not to mention you would have to fill whatever it is you're running (nitrous,Co2 etc)

I know the powercooler and the Aquamist work, and work well, I'm sure the Ntercooler does as well......it makes sense that the Co2 etc would also work, I guess it boils down to what people want and what they are wiling to go through for the install/tuning.

--wes
Yup, i am entitled to my own opinion...

I never said your aquamist didn't work or super soaker whatever your using or want to use. All I said is and you can scroll up to see.... that the N20 ro Co2 method is more effective. Just like a turbo charger will be more effective in power than Intake Header and exhaust system. Take the same car do a test with the Ntercooler and your water mister and see which one makes more power... Sure water is "free" but for those that want that extra power and are willing to do what it takes sometimes spending $20-$30.00 to refill a 10lb bottle is worth the .3 or whatever on the track. Also when your on the road and want that added boost your not going to get out of your car go to the nearest liquor store and fill it up with ice?? Sorry dude, but on a HOT blazing day at least with the other system you can rest assure your cooling effiency will always be there regardless if its 130 degrees outside. Put ice in those conditions and watch HOW FAST it melts... Next thing you will have HOT water spraying in your intercooler... nice
Old 05-28-2004, 04:52 PM
was wesman

I never said your aquamist didn't work or super soaker whatever your using or want to use. All I said is and you can scroll up to see.... that the N20 ro Co2 method is more effective. Just like a turbo charger will be more effective in power than Intake Header and exhaust system. Take the same car do a test with the Ntercooler and your water mister and see which one makes more power... Sure water is "free" but for those that want that extra power and are willing to do what it takes sometimes spending $20-$30.00 to refill a 10lb bottle is worth the .3 or whatever on the track. Also when your on the road and want that added boost your not going to get out of your car go to the nearest liquor store and fill it up with ice?? Sorry dude, but on a HOT blazing day at least with the other system you can rest assure your cooling effiency will always be there regardless if its 130 degrees outside. Put ice in those conditions and watch HOW FAST it melts... Next thing you will have HOT water spraying in your intercooler... nice
lol...I see you're one of those that have no real data, just opinion on what works....however you've never seen or owned the system

You obviously didn't read up on the system because your take on it is very skewed.....why don't you do some reading and get educated on it and then we can debate it. Until that time you're just citing opinions that don't mean much without any data at all to back any of it up.

I have seen the "water mister" gain over 30 rwhp on a 300TT.....keep in mind I live in Texas.....it doesn't get 130, but it does get into the 100's and it's pretty much there from June to Sep, which is when these tests/dynos were done.

Also, the water isn't hot when compared with intake temps, while it may not be something you want to drink it is certainly helpful when shot into the intake tract.

So....since it's obvious you haven't ever had any of the systems in question and have never run any first hand, I'm done discussing it with you as all you have are subjective opinions and no real data.....peace

--wes
Old 05-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Enron Exec

Its so damn humid and hot in Houston i think a water mist system will not work nearly as well as a CO2 or NOs system on the FMIC. If I lived somewhere dry, id jsut take the water msit system.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:25 PM
esemes

i know this is a bit far out, but couldnt the a/c system somehow vent into the i/c on demand???

i think ford uses the a/c in some way to increase (lower temp) i/c performance on some proto model....

my car read 97°F as outside temp today, while i was on the hiway....

insane

Old 05-28-2004, 08:45 PM
UsafaRice

Yeah, you're entitled to it- even when it's wrong. Maybe you should read what he said. The Aquamist is sprayed INTO the intake charge, not ONTO the IC. You could actually use your CO2 whatever as well. I mean, a bottle and the system only adds another 30 lbs to the car and has limited use. And wh The Aquamist turns on every time you reach a certain boost threshold. It can even be used on NA cars as well with really high compression ratios as it controls the burn rate of the air/fuel mixture.

On a "hot, blazing day" your CO2 will still be dead weight in the back of the car once it's empty and the Aquamist will still be making power. In that situation, spraying the IC with water will still cool the charge relative to ambient air because it evaporates more quickly.

And if you are getting a .3 second faster time, you must be using a lot of NOS or CO2. That's 30 HP or more. Is this something you've seen in real life on a track? Take a quick look and see how much more power people make with an extra 2 or 3 pounds of boost that the "super soaker" in the intake tract will give you.

Please make comments that at least seem informed man.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:02 PM
was wesman

Originally posted by Enron Exec
Its so damn humid and hot in Houston i think a water mist system will not work nearly as well as a CO2 or NOs system on the FMIC. If I lived somewhere dry, id jsut take the water msit system.
Hey Enron, it's not too much different from Dallas, but the thing to remember about the A-mist is it sprays into the intake tract...not on the outside of the IC.

The temp outside doesn't really effect the water that much, it's not like it's ina bottle sitting on top of the car. Once it gets nice and hot up here in Dallas I'll have to check what the water temp is like

--wes
Old 05-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Enron Exec

Originally posted by was wesman
Hey Enron, it's not too much different from Dallas, but the thing to remember about the A-mist is it sprays into the intake tract...not on the outside of the IC.

The temp outside doesn't really effect the water that much, it's not like it's ina bottle sitting on top of the car. Once it gets nice and hot up here in Dallas I'll have to check what the water temp is like

--wes
How much does this type of setup run and are there any known negative side effects?
Old 05-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Red6

My freind (member elitemotion) is running the Intra-cooler on his ATI procharger.

Hes using co2 and he says it works great in the cooling his system.

Co2 is very inexpensive and the NX intra-cooler system is not whole lot of money.

Co2 cools down the intercooler faster then H2O Ill atest to that.

Hit elitemotion up he can tell you guys first hand about the effects of the NX intracooler on his supercharged z.

Im going that route as soon as i get my Votech system.

Last edited by Red6; 05-28-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Wicked4u2c

[QUOTE]Originally posted by was wesman
lol...I see you're one of those that have no real data, just opinion on what works....however you've never seen or owned the system

I was sponsored by VENOM and they prototype me a myster kit for my car (Civic SI). Here is their number (800) 959-2865 speak to Jimmy O Connor and tell him about Armando with the black civic about 2 years ago if I had a custom Nitrous cooler for my car. You want data here is my dynograph adjusting the mister bar and spray pattern.. Sorry to say but your 30rwhp is weak on a TT300zx as compared to my little 1.6 4cyl 8psi Honda Civic.

You obviously didn't read up on the system because your take on it is very skewed.....why don't you do some reading and get educated on it and then we can debate it. Until that time you're just citing opinions that don't mean much without any data at all to back any of it up.

Their is my DATA call VENOM for yourself if you think im pulling your leg I have pics of my car at VENOM, I even have a magazine article...

I have seen the "water mister" gain over 30 rwhp on a 300TT.....keep in mind I live in Texas.....it doesn't get 130, but it does get into the 100's and it's pretty much there from June to Sep, which is when these tests/dynos were done.

NOT TOO IMPRESSED... the Nitrous express intercooler has gains of over 50whp on CIVICS... do the research my friend...

Also, the water isn't hot when compared with intake temps, while it may not be something you want to drink it is certainly helpful when shot into the intake tract.

My datalog showed my intake temps at 60degrees on a sunny day. ON a very HOT DAY my intake temps were 80 degrees. And worst case toping out on 90. This is just with a standard intercooler from greddy. TYPE 32. So unless you have "ICE COLD" water inside there it really isnt going to render much of a gain. And your "test" on the dyno im sure were not regular ambient temperature water.

UsafaRiceYeah, you're entitled to it- even when it's wrong. Maybe you should read what he said. The Aquamist is sprayed INTO the intake charge, not ONTO the IC. You could actually use your CO2 whatever as well. I mean, a bottle and the system only adds another 30 lbs to the car and has limited use. And wh The Aquamist turns on every time you reach a certain boost threshold. It can even be used on NA cars as well with really high compression ratios as it controls the burn rate of the air/fuel mixture.

Please explain how it controls the burn rate of the A/F Ratio... This is interesting..? I want to know how the Aquamist "controls" the burn rate of the A/F mixture... OH and BTW a 10lb bottle of CO2 or N20 Filled does not weight 30lbs...

On a "hot, blazing day" your CO2 will still be dead weight in the back of the car once it's empty and the Aquamist will still be making power. In that situation, spraying the IC with water will still cool the charge relative to ambient air because it evaporates more quickly.

My Co2 will be dead? your water will be BOILING on a "HOT blazing day" Im sure like the acquamist the system was not designed to run 24-7 but to used when you wanted that burst of energy i.e. pass a car, drag race, etc.. So in that case My bottle would be FULL and when noticed it was getting empty recharge? My 10lb bottler of mister would last at least 20 1/4 mile runs... Thats plenty of PULLS if you ask me.. And you dont need to be SPRAYING the whole time right before you race cool it off and your intercooler is literally frozen.

And if you are getting a .3 second faster time, you must be using a lot of NOS or CO2. That's 30 HP or more. Is this something you've seen in real life on a track? Take a quick look and see how much more power people make with an extra 2 or 3 pounds of boost that the "super soaker" in the intake tract will give you.

Please make comments that at least seem informed man.

Please take physics man... Your water theory will never beat the co2 or n2o setup... FACE IT! Your just looking like a JACKA$$ arguing basic simple physics, to say that your super soaker I mean "WATER MISTER" makes more POWER than a Co2/N20 Sprayer is the stupidist thing I have heard. If you honestly think Cold water over a frozen/chilled intercooler will make more power than you need to go back to the basics son. Not trying to put you down but it doesnt take a rocket science to figure out that no matter HOW COLD your water spraying to your intake chargepipe is... A frozen chargepipe will be cooler and stay cooler for a longer period of time.

gq_626If the goal is cooler intake charge and more WHP, i would take water injection over this CO2/NOS sprayer. With the water injection you gain significant power and safety from detonation...so you can turn up the boost more. Plus...it is very effective while driving WOT, unlike an intercooler sprayer...which is not as effective while driving.

It depends how you use it... You would be surprised, while driving my CIVIC when it got very HOT and my intake temps where hitting high 80's I would just myst the intercooler for like 5 seconds and the temps would get as low as 40degrees on a HOT DAY! And would maintain a very low temp for a while making the intake charge a lot cooler.. Perhaps if you HOLD the button down and really FREEZEE the dam intercooler or while your racing holding it down sure the intake temps will be insanely low causing detonation if not tuned for those outrageous temps...
Old 05-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by Red6
My freind (member elitemotion) is running the Intra-cooler on his ATI procharger.

Hes using co2 and he says it works great in the cooling his system.

Co2 is very inexpensive and the NX intra-cooler system is not whole lot of money.

Co2 cools down the intercooler faster then H2O Ill atest to that.

Hit elitemotion up he can tell you guys first hand about the effects of the NX intracooler on his supercharged z.

Im going that route as soon as i get my Votech system.
AGREED!!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:44 PM
Wicked4u2c

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Catalog/4ntercooler.pdf

http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sc&cid=1

Last edited by Wicked4u2c; 05-28-2004 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its no mystery that the intercooler sprayers will show a gain on the dyno..there is no airflow hitting the IC.

Take it on the road and datalog inlet air temps with the system on and off - the difference is no where near as dramatic.

If I lived in a hot climiate, and consistent high boost was my goal, the Aquamist setup (ie directly into combustion chamber, not spraying the IC or the intake) would get the nod everyday of the week.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
its no mystery that the intercooler sprayers will show a gain on the dyno..there is no airflow hitting the IC.

Take it on the road and datalog inlet air temps with the system on and off - the difference is no where near as dramatic.

If I lived in a hot climiate, and consistent high boost was my goal, the Aquamist setup (ie directly into combustion chamber, not spraying the IC or the intake) would get the nod everyday of the week.
I guess you failed to read the last line of my post... Let me rephrase for ya...

It depends how you use it... You would be surprised, while driving my CIVIC when it got very HOT and my intake temps where hitting high 80's I would just myst the intercooler for like 5 seconds and the temps would get as low as 40degrees on a HOT DAY! And would maintain a very low temp for a while making the intake charge a lot cooler.. Perhaps if you HOLD the button down and really FREEZEE the dam intercooler or while your racing holding it down sure the intake temps will be insanely low causing detonation if not tuned for those outrageous temps...
Old 05-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Enron Exec

How much does a water injection system cost, install, tune?
Old 05-30-2004, 08:15 PM
UsafaRice

Please explain how it controls the burn rate of the A/F Ratio... This is interesting..? I want to know how the Aquamist "controls" the burn rate of the A/F mixture... OH and BTW a 10lb bottle of CO2 or N20 Filled does not weight 30lbs...
Didn't say ratio. Read first if you're gonna bash me please. It's the mixture in the chamber. Read about Aquamist anywhere. The water is vaporizing in the intake tract. It cools the air like sweating cools your body. And it limits the speed of the flame wave front travel. It effectively increases the octane rating of the gasoline used.

Didn't say only a bottle did either. Again, I didn't mean to get you upset about this because we could have a very good conversation. Please respond to what I'm saying though.

I'm installing a NOS system in my car currently. My bottle says very clearly that it weighs 14.75 lbs empty and 24.75 lb full. Add brackets, a 1.5 lb solenoid (I have 2 of course), the control wiring, the lines to carry the nitrous or CO2 and that sprayer bar and you tell me how close my guess is.

My Co2 will be dead? your water will be BOILING on a "HOT blazing day" Im sure like the acquamist the system was not designed to run 24-7 but to used when you wanted that burst of energy i.e. pass a car, drag race, etc.. So in that case My bottle would be FULL and when noticed it was getting empty recharge? My 10lb bottler of mister would last at least 20 1/4 mile runs... Thats plenty of PULLS if you ask me.. And you dont need to be SPRAYING the whole time right before you race cool it off and your intercooler is literally frozen.
We have a different use intended here. Spraying for a 1/4 mile is a lot different than spraying for a road race. If you're running 13 second 1/4s, then you've got 4.5 minutes of spraying. Aquamist fed from the washer fluid bottle will last a gas tank worth. And it isn't 24/7, that's gonna kill your car if you're running that much. It works for whenever you have it programmed to spray. I sure hope it won't boil or else your windshield washer fluid is gonna be boiling all the time as well!

Please take physics man... Your water theory will never beat the co2 or n2o setup... FACE IT! Your just looking like a JACKA$$ arguing basic simple physics, to say that your super soaker I mean "WATER MISTER" makes more POWER than a Co2/N20 Sprayer is the stupidist thing I have heard. If you honestly think Cold water over a frozen/chilled intercooler will make more power than you need to go back to the basics son. Not trying to put you down but it doesnt take a rocket science to figure out that no matter HOW COLD your water spraying to your intake chargepipe is... A frozen chargepipe will be cooler and stay cooler for a longer period of time.
Since you decided to call me names instead of looking it up, we have people running ~350 WHP at 5-6 psi and people making 400-450 WHP at 8-10 psi. While a cooler intake temp gets you that "1% for every 10 degrees" I've heard, a huge intercooler is going to be pretty efficient to start with. Make your 50 WHP in a Civic - I'll take the 50 to 100 all the time in a 350Z.

And how did I become your son? Are you really that old? If you'd like to talk physics, aerodynamics, Japanese, piloting, or any computer science, I have those basics down. I've taken a few classes in "rocket science" as well, so I'll vouch that you don't need it either. I also have an idea of how these "car" things work too.

I did this for a guy a while back, but I can help you figure out Aquamist. If you can find this webpage, you can find out everything...
Attached Thumbnails Intercooler Sprayer!-aqua.jpg  

Quick Reply: Intercooler Sprayer!