Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Intercooler Sprayer!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Rspec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler Sprayer!

any1 have experience with this type of kit?
either H2O or Nitrious. what are the negative effects for having this kit in front of a intercooler.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:00 PM
UsafaRice

Default Re: Intercooler Sprayer!

Originally posted by Rspec
any1 have experience with this type of kit?
either H2O or Nitrious. what are the negative effects for having this kit in front of a intercooler.
1) Extra weight on the front end of the car
2) Nitrous could get sucked into the intake and make the car run lean
3) Use water, just wire it up to the sprayer for the rear windshield or something simple like that. It will be way safer. You're not going to be N20ing your IC on a road race because of #2 so a bag of ice for the IC at the strip is way easier/cheaper than nitrous.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless there is a hole in your intercooler, or a leak in your hose couplers, how can the NOS get into the intake track? Especially since most people use the sprayer just right before a WOT run...not while actually racing.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:08 AM
kudos

There are no negative effects and like GQ said NOS will not go in to the intake track with this setup. Nitrous Express have a very nice kit designed specifically for this purpose and it works. They claim 50whp on a turbocharged civic just with the kit, i'm not sure how true that figure is but i'm sure it works.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:01 AM
PoWeRtRiP

use co2 if your worried about it leaking in. much cheaper than nitrous and will cool better than water. these ic sprayers gan gain significant torque on a hot day. another thing that works well is water injection
Old 05-26-2004, 07:14 AM
etx

The only way it can get into the intake system is to float up to the air filters. At that point it's not very concentrated gas so it will do very little.

I say use a sprayer with rubbing alcohol. I carry one in my eclipse at the track in a spray bottle to spray my IC down if it's heat soaked.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:12 AM
PoWeRtRiP

there was a writeup in scc on how to rig your windshield wiper reservoir using a t fitting into an i/c sprayer. very handy so that you can get the ic sprayer with in cabin controls and only cost about $1
Old 05-26-2004, 09:15 AM
fluidz

I have Nitrous that sprays on the inlet portion of the intercooler. I just used my existing purge set up and positioned it near the inlet of the IC........Comptech did it for me and it is very sweet set up. I have never used it but 50hp seems a bit excessive if you ask me, maybe 20.......
Old 05-26-2004, 09:30 AM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by gq_626
Unless there is a hole in your intercooler, or a leak in your hose couplers, how can the NOS get into the intake track? Especially since most people use the sprayer just right before a WOT run...not while actually racing.
If you have a leak, I think you have a bigger problem on your hands. Someone on here had the N2O getting sucked into the airfilter on a dyno run- saw an extra 20-40 HP unplanned HP as a result. That kind of stuff really messes up tuning!

If you're using it before the run, that'll work too, but water is still way cheaper than Nitrous!
Old 05-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Rspec

how much is reasonable price to get this H2O sprayer installed???? also does this mean I'm sharing water from the windshild fluid reservior?????
I'm sure water cannot do no harm to any parts in the car. right?
oh btw can any1 post any picture??????
thx...
Old 05-26-2004, 06:24 PM
93TSiAWD

CO2 is the ideal thing to use (coming from the DSM community). It is cheap and real easy to build. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33742
That is a pretty good link to understand the idea, if you build it yourself just grab a CO2 tank from a paintball shop. I am gonna build one for my Talon at some point when I have spare time
Old 05-26-2004, 06:52 PM
was wesman

Aquamist comes to mind. I have a kit that was intended for one of my 300 TT's that's sitting in the garage. Maybe I'll try to rig this up somehow and get it working.

Here's their site....several 300 guys have had good success with it. Basically allows you to bump the boost and timing and still run safely while spraying water.

Aquamist

-wes
Old 05-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Bait-Fish

For those interested in external intercooler water spray to stop heat soak, check out this write up and the little piece of electronics they developed. I haven't used it but it certainly sounds like it would do the job.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0527
Old 05-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

If the goal is cooler intake charge and more WHP, i would take water injection over this CO2/NOS sprayer. With the water injection you gain significant power and safety from detonation...so you can turn up the boost more. Plus...it is very effective while driving WOT, unlike an intercooler sprayer...which is not as effective while driving.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by Bait-Fish
For those interested in external intercooler water spray to stop heat soak, check out this write up and the little piece of electronics they developed. I haven't used it but it certainly sounds like it would do the job.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0527

LOL WATER!! Ah... Good thing we have internet to learn boys and girls...

READ!

http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=1257

Anyhow, the N20 or CO2 is the way to go...
Old 05-28-2004, 03:39 AM
esemes

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c

READ!

saved me a weekend's project...

nice site!!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:32 AM
etx

I really think rubbing alcohol works great, waaay better than water.

Anyways, with the low levels of boost were running this is not going to do much. It's nice we have a MAF system, the ecu will adjust to the cooler air easily, so that's a plus. But I think time could be spent better elseware.

For example, has anyone noticed how HOT the IC > TB charge pipe gets?!@#! It think it's due to poor engine compartment veltilation and the fact that it's right above the Turbo/Manifold. That pipe should not be so hot. After a drive it's so hot you can't even touch it!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:35 AM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c

READ!

Thanks for posting that. Maybe you should email it to Subaru, who puts these things on their stock STis, or any of the WRC teams that use these on their cars. Stands to reason that they have some justification for doing this.

The STi guys would spray down the ICs between runs so they would have lower charge temps before heading out. Seems to follow what the article Bait-Fish posted says.

Still, something worth investigating.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:09 AM
esemes

Originally posted by UsafaRice
Thanks for posting that. Maybe you should email it to Subaru, who puts these things on their stock STis, or any of the WRC teams that use these on their cars. Stands to reason that they have some justification for doing this.

The STi guys would spray down the ICs between runs so they would have lower charge temps before heading out. Seems to follow what the article Bait-Fish posted says.

perhaps the orientation of the i/c has something todo with the effectiveness of the water??? maybe a lingering or something??

dunno....

id like to try it, but not for 4%.... yet
Old 05-28-2004, 07:41 AM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by UsafaRice

The reason why the WRC uses water is because they are not allowed to use other methods i.e. "Nitrous" etc.. due to rules, regulations, safety etc... But their is a catch to that... Their water is chilled ice cold when they fill their tank up. The article I posted the water was at room temperature so the gains were very minimal I believe 5%? Add chilled water and I bet the gains would be somewhat in the 25%? So water isn't perhaps the best method to cool your intercooler, it works but its not the best. However anyone that is willing to create a myst bar to cool down the intercooler using CO2 or NOS will see significant gains as it virtually ices the intercooler.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Sprayer!