Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Got some pics of my HKS standalone + more

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 09:45 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Blue Z and a Civic hatch, just like me. Both mine are all motor though.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:51 AM
mac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by phunk
Nathan... your pretty much dead on. The FCON just takes over control of the injectors and coils... the rest is up to the stock ECU... which is nice in a simplistic way.

I remember hearing something about the stock ECU not opening the throttle body 100% under full throttle... if that is really true, then I will have to have the stock ECU upgraded by Technosquare just for that one change.

Knowing how to program a FCON and knowing the functions are two different things. Think before you speak.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:06 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

huh? is there something your trying to say? or just trolling?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:21 PM
joust75

Can someone clarify something for me?

I thought we had an open deck engine with thin cylinder walls that coolant would flow around. the sleeves that were put in filled this space. It looks and Im sure is much stronger but doesnt this take away from the cooling feature?

Or is the Z not an open deck engine. (I thought it was)
Old 06-08-2004, 11:29 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

where the coolant flows into the cylinder head is not completely open like the open deck. Sleeves like this still allow coolant flow all the way around the sleeves... but at the top of the block they become closed deck to help keep the cylinders stable and strong. The coolant flow from the block into the cylinder heads is restricted by the design of the heads, and coolant only flows into the heads in specific spots.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:57 PM
SQUILL

where the coolant flows into the cylinder head is not completely open like the open deck. Sleeves like this still allow coolant flow all the way around the sleeves... but at the top of the block they become closed deck to help keep the cylinders stable and strong. The coolant flow from the block into the cylinder heads is restricted by the design of the heads, and coolant only flows into the heads in specific spots.
Maybe a little off topic but i had a Q about the stock block. A shop here in boulder has built up a VQ35de block with pauterl forged rods and sgp racing .20 over pistons, jwt cams, titanium valvespring retainers and the sgp racing stud kit. They hit 597 rwhp @ 14 psi with the greddy kit but ran dangerously lean so are currently upgrading the fuel system so they can run 20+psi.

Their block is .20 over with the factory sleeves.

I see you chose to resleeve your block with aebs sleeves.

Did you feel the factory sleeves were too weak for your application which i believe you said would be around 600 hp?

Are the factory sleeves solid iron like they look?? Do you feel resleeving the block is a necessity when building the block for higher boost??

Thanks some insight into this would be very helpfull.
I am following your progress with the Fcon with great interest so i dont mean to hijack this thread or anything
Old 06-09-2004, 12:03 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

the stock block is probably fine... to be quite honest I havent gotten a good look at a stock block yet... I had this one shipped straight to AEBS. We will only see in time how much the stock block can take as those fellows and others keep turning up the boost. I am in the middle of parting out one of my other race cars to help fund the new engine now... I want to get this thing built as soon as possible and swap it over.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:26 AM
SQUILL

the stock block is probably fine... to be quite honest I havent gotten a good look at a stock block yet... I had this one shipped straight to AEBS. We will only see in time how much the stock block can take as those fellows and others keep turning up the boost. I am in the middle of parting out one of my other race cars to help fund the new engine now... I want to get this thing built as soon as possible and swap it over.
Cool thanks ...The guys that built up the .20 over block with the factory sleeves felt confident it would support well over 700 hp i was just curious why you had it re sleeved. Thanks keep us updated BTW here is a pic of the factory block.
Attached Thumbnails Got some pics of my HKS standalone + more-block-small-.jpg  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:53 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Got Large

Originally posted by SQUILL
Cool thanks ...The guys that built up the .20 over block with the factory sleeves felt confident it would support well over 700 hp i was just curious why you had it re sleeved. Thanks keep us updated BTW here is a pic of the factory block.
Could you e-mail the large picture of block.. to amy@amycroft.com

I'd like to look at the piston relief detail..

Any other's of this quality?

Cheers Amy -
Old 06-10-2004, 12:08 AM
joust75

Originally posted by SQUILL
Yup open deck. Gosh compare that to the sleeved block. It looks so much stronger!!
Attached Thumbnails Got some pics of my HKS standalone + more-pic8.jpg  
Old 06-10-2004, 10:11 PM
seanrulz

God Damn.. HKS Fcon Vpro....
Now I know which shop I should go when I buy the TT kits for my car. It's only 4 hours away from my home!
Keep us posted and keep up the good work!
Old 06-11-2004, 01:29 AM
turbo-maxima

The sleeves are over kill for most. I am sure can get up to the 700-750 whp with stock sleeves. Did he buy the stroker kit, if not I don't see the point of the sleeves. Unless you want to make crazy power. I am sure the sleeves wer e in the $2000 range.