Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Got some pics of my HKS standalone + more

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 04:22 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got some pics of my HKS standalone + more

http://chicagoz.com/v-web/bulletin/b...opic.php?t=313

Soon enough I will be updating the website and then people can just keep track of the car there, rather then the occasional long posts.

-Charles
Old 06-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Moroccan_Mole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice stuff!
Old 06-03-2004, 06:13 PM
nightmare

sweet, hopefully everything runs smooth. cant wait too see it all finished.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:50 PM
exploder

keep us updated on pricing and if we will be able to buy pre-tuned fcons from you
Old 06-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Enron Exec

Dear lord!
Old 06-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Enron Exec

Does anyone know how much that stand alone setup costed with the wideband, knock sensor, and harnesses?
Old 06-03-2004, 09:41 PM
AmyCroft

Default Re: Got some pics of my HKS standalone + more

Originally posted by phunk
http://chicagoz.com/v-web/bulletin/b...opic.php?t=313

Soon enough I will be updating the website and then people can just keep track of the car there, rather then the occasional long posts.

-Charles
Good Info phunk

Please keep us posted on your Experiment..

Cheers Amy -
Old 06-04-2004, 05:19 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Enron Exec
Does anyone know how much that stand alone setup costed with the wideband, knock sensor, and harnesses?
knock amp is ~890 i think, fcon would ~1395 dont know how much for the harnesses. prices taken from hks website so he probably did not pay as much
Old 06-04-2004, 06:43 AM
t32gzz

If it wasn't so cold in Illinois, I would move up there just to be near this shop. Great job phunk, interested in seeing how this turns out.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Enron Exec

Originally posted by PoWeRtRiP
knock amp is ~890 i think, fcon would ~1395 dont know how much for the harnesses. prices taken from hks website so he probably did not pay as much
Thats pretty good compared to the price of a Motec. Are there any major advantages with either systems?
Old 06-05-2004, 01:20 AM
mac

Cool because it wires right in but the MoTec of Haltech is a better unit. This unit is more mainstream because its a plug in type. The other units you would have to wire it in yourself which is very time consuming. Other units have more parameters you could control and more precisely also.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:29 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally posted by mac
Cool because it wires right in but the MoTec of Haltech is a better unit. This unit is more mainstream because its a plug in type. The other units you would have to wire it in yourself which is very time consuming. Other units have more parameters you could control and more precisely also.
Do you have experience with the HKS Power Writer software for the FCON V-PRO?
Old 06-05-2004, 04:42 PM
ether

wondering if the harness could be used wih other piggy back based systems, in the sense of avoiding splicing into the factory wires, assuming spicing into the harness would be needed

Last edited by ether; 06-05-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Just a point of clarification here..even though this isnt a post on piggy back vs. Stand Alone. Keep in mind that unlike most piggy back units...the eManage WITH and only WITH the injector harness is actually adding fuel by adding injector pulse width to the stock ECU signal that spits out. Most piggy back's use MAF conditioning to trick the ECU into increasing fuel, becuase the ECU thinks there is more air coming through the MAF. MAF conditioning can cause erratic A/F ratios, unwanted timing advance, and the inconsistencies you are refering to, Phunk. Adding IPW doesnt cause these issues, and you can achieve a very stable A/F mix throughout the power band.

i agree that stand-alone is way more effective, and your A/F can be perfect all the time. But eManage is still a pretty good 98% solution for most folks, and has a suprising amount of flexibility, consistency, and ease of use and operation.

Mohd is running a 700whp Supra on stock internals (30psi) with an eManage...and his A/F is smooth!.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 06-05-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:24 AM
mac

No I do not actually, but whats the point of that? Don't be mad because of the truth. I didn't mean to get at you, just enlightening you.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:36 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

gq: i know the e-manage inside and out, and if you do searches for very old posts, i have made long posts long ago why the e-manage is one of the best piggy backs if you must use one.

Like if you read in my post on that other forum, i said that it is great for most, i never bashed it... it is GREAT for most. But it is not great for those who want to use a very large oversize injectors. You know that it does use MAF control to control oversize injectors when you do the correction factor, right?

Dont get me wrong - The E-Manage is easily one of the most capable piggy backs, and also the Split Second box. If I had to use one, it would be one of those 2. The 350z ECU and the Supra ECU or different beasts, and I dont think the E-Manage qualifies to tune a 350z to our eventual target of 700rwhp.

But yea... I would never bash the E-Manage, we have used it in plenty of cars... very nice system.

mac: you sound like you think you upset me... you didnt. i just wanted to make sure that you knew nothing about the FCON like i figured... and you were making assumptions about its capabilities. I will be sure and let you know everything its got as far as features go. It definatly doesnt have quite as much as a Motec, but you may be surprised with what we get it to do.

You didnt enlighten me, sorry... one of my guys here has tuned Motecs in 700-900rwhp supercharged and twin turbo vipers. We know what a motec can do... every project has its own needs and requirements. the FCONs advantage is cost and ease of interface in this situation. Not many people are willing to pay the money for Motec. If you are interested in a Motec interface for your 350z, we would be happy to construct one for ya!!!

Thanks,
Charles
Old 06-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mac - how is the Haltech a "better unit"? Which Haltech would be the "better unit"?

As for Motech, same questions apply - I fail to see how it is better 9considering Motech makes more than 1 ecu). The Motec's do permit an upgrade for drive by aire at least. Biggest hinderance to Motec IMHO is the cost of the units. They are highly capable, though with their ala carte menu (ex: datalogging is not included...you must buy it as an option), makes it out of reach of most people.

Haltech does not support drive by wire (at least as of the last time I checked), thus ruling it out for the Z unless you go for a custom tb setup.

Those of us who know the F Con know what it is......and not just that its a widely used ecu in other parts of the world. Once inside its software, those familiar with standalone will find it a very familiar place. The fact that it is fully plug and play makes it even nicer. Even at full MSRP, an F Con and the plug and play harness comes in at under $2k - a pretty good pricepoint given its capabilities, though as stated, you do need to find an HKS Pro Dealer to both buy, install and tune the unit from.

We are going to be using an E manage on my own car in the near future to see how it goes - if it works well and is consistent (I imagine it will be fine for my setup), we'll stick with it. Hoever, if I get a bit more adventurous, the F Con will get the nod, unless Electromotive (who we are loyal to based on past experience) gets the DBW module completed in time.

Adam
Old 06-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

phunk
I'm not up to speed on the HKS F Con, but does this unit control the variable cam timing & FBW throttle as well as the timing & fuel or is it only controlling timing & fuel maps at a set RPM or load & the OEM ecu is running the rest?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:40 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Nathan... your pretty much dead on. The FCON just takes over control of the injectors and coils... the rest is up to the stock ECU... which is nice in a simplistic way.

I remember hearing something about the stock ECU not opening the throttle body 100% under full throttle... if that is really true, then I will have to have the stock ECU upgraded by Technosquare just for that one change.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:42 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by phunk
gq: i know the e-manage inside and out, and if you do searches for very old posts, i have made long posts long ago why the e-manage is one of the best piggy backs if you must use one.

Like if you read in my post on that other forum, i said that it is great for most, i never bashed it... it is GREAT for most. But it is not great for those who want to use a very large oversize injectors. You know that it does use MAF control to control oversize injectors when you do the correction factor, right?

Thanks,
Charles

This is very true. sorry...I havent read your other post on the emanage..so I didn't really know your position on it. Just wanted to make sure everyone is was aware of its capabilities.

You are correct, I think it's two biggest limitations are scaling injectors beyond...say 50% or so (too much MAF manipulation)....and not haveing an A/F input. So it cant automatically target a particular A/F level to achieve, and adjust automatically.

Otherwise, its a solid system.

Quick Reply: Got some pics of my HKS standalone + more