Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortec BOV

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 09:02 PM
CaneZMD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec BOV

How does this thing work. Mine continuously whistles and discharges air at idle. It whistles alot. I thought they were supposed to be closed at idle and open only with exessive boost.

I called Vortec and they said it should whistle and discharge air anytime it senses vacuum in the plenum, like at idle. Is this true? Does everyone's vortec BOV whistle at idle?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:03 PM
freezeg35

I dont even have my kit installed yet and im reading the thread title thinking: o yeah gonna be another person pi$$ed about the whistling. Pretty soon i will be my turn. Man i hope vortech figures this bov prob. out.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:40 AM
TD30

Default Re: Vortec BOV

Originally posted by CaneZMD
How does this thing work. Mine continuously whistles and discharges air at idle. It whistles alot. I thought they were supposed to be closed at idle and open only with exessive boost.

I called Vortec and they said it should whistle and discharge air anytime it senses vacuum in the plenum, like at idle. Is this true? Does everyone's vortec BOV whistle at idle?
I have the same type questions. Just completed my instal and my BOV is behaving exactly like yours. It has a whistle (a little anoying, but not horrible IMO) at idle and you can hear it letting out air whenever I am not excelerating. The second I let off the throttle, it opens up.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:51 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is working fine. You can buy a filter from Vortech to put over the discharge port that will quite the whistle somewhat.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:59 AM
Sam56n

i cut mine down and the whistling is about 70% gone, i will put a small filter over it later to see what happenns

right now however, the bearing on the blower are out and ****ing vortech is being slow as hell in their turn around time
Old 06-09-2004, 04:56 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bov

Has any one with a Vortech changed the BOV to some thing else ? Is there some thing out there that can be adjusted ? So it closes sooner . Why does it need to be open at idle any way ? I need to get a how to book [supercharges for dummies ]
Old 06-09-2004, 05:05 AM
zimbo

If it's not open then boost is building.

--Steve
Old 06-09-2004, 05:08 AM
booger

Originally posted by zimbo
If it's not open then boost is building.

--Steve
even at idle ? I would think the blower isnt turning fast enough to start to build boost .
Old 06-09-2004, 05:43 AM
mcduck

Steve...

Is the Vortech BOV adjustable? That is, can you tighten it up to retain a little more boost & possibly eliminate some of the excessive whistling?

I'll be able to check tomorrow when my car is on the lift, but if you know, please go ahead and share with the group.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:47 AM
CaneZMD

Wasn't there a post awhile back where a guy changed out the BOV that came with his kit for another vortech BOV? He said that with the Vortech BOV that he purchased from the auto parts store the whistling was completely gone. All he heard was teh Ker-psshh sound on gear changes. Does anyone remember this post. (freakin search function is useless!)
Old 06-09-2004, 10:10 AM
jpc350z

Default BOV

Originally posted by CaneZMD
Wasn't there a post awhile back where a guy changed out the BOV that came with his kit for another vortech BOV? He said that with the Vortech BOV that he purchased from the auto parts store the whistling was completely gone. All he heard was teh Ker-psshh sound on gear changes. Does anyone remember this post. (freakin search function is useless!)

You may be referring to ESMEES or something like that. He's from Fla. (Tampa or Naples) and recently posted his very loud BOV after he had it installed but his problem I believe turned out to be a bad BOV..
Old 06-09-2004, 11:29 AM
kzanard

Default BOV Whistle

there were a few posts about the whistle here & on G35driver.com. Try doing a seach on my name. A couple of guys (like Esemes) were able to get a replacement BOV from VOrtech. When I called Vortech, they said whistle was normal (even at idle and steady RPM) and would not replace my BOV. The DID say valve was adjustable (using allen screw in valve) and also that a replacement spring (lower spring rate) is available through Vortech that will change the rate that the valve opens. Personally, I (and a few others) fabricated a muffler of sorts. The parts were a K& N motorcycle air filter, an off the shelf radiator hose (with 90 degree bend) cut to length, and a PVC plumbing coupler. I am not sure you can see everything in the attached photo. If you can find the old thread, one of the other guys listed part #'s and had better photos. Also, the whistling still was present, but a lot quieter. It even got quieter after I sprayed the K&N with filter oil.

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails Vortec BOV-filter.jpg  
Old 06-09-2004, 03:24 PM
TD30

Originally posted by mcduck
Steve...

Is the Vortech BOV adjustable? That is, can you tighten it up to retain a little more boost & possibly eliminate some of the excessive whistling?

I'll be able to check tomorrow when my car is on the lift, but if you know, please go ahead and share with the group.
This is the email response I received from vortech after inquiring about the whistling...I have not tried it yet.

"You can tighten the adjustment screw but this may cause the blower to go into surge. The is really hard on the blower and the motor. I have also talked to Grubbs Infiniti and they said that you can turn the valve 180 degrees and the whistle will go away. We haven't done this so we can't guarantee anything. If it works please let me know."
Old 06-09-2004, 04:19 PM
CaneZMD

I'm kind of upset that vortech has replaced it for some people, but others, like me, they tell "It's supposed to whistle all the time".

I mean, what's the point of a "super quiet" supercharger if you have a BOV that's loud as hell?
Old 06-09-2004, 06:41 PM
jon350z

im gonna purchase this kit, and what i wanna know does the bov sound like the turbo kits, do you get the ker pssshhh sound....when you shift? also is it really loud because thats what i want !!!! also has anybody heard of the vortech kit blowin up any engines on 6psi????
Old 06-09-2004, 07:06 PM
CaneZMD

The kit is 8 psi, and no I haven't heard of anyone blowing there engine with this kit yet. (I'm sure I'll be the first!) The blow off valve does make a nice turbo-esque sound when shifting gears. I just want to make it stop whistling at idle. (although, the power is definitely worth the whistle.)