Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

GReddy E-Manage software update 1.39

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 07:13 AM
derek_i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by gq_626
I dont have immediate plans to use the MAP sensor to run fuel enrichment and timing.
But... You have everything in place already to do so. Do you think the engine can be dialed in better based on boost rather than relying on a stock MAF that wasn't designed to measure the flow FI produces?

Maybe someone <cough>GQ</cough> should call Kenji and ask about this?

GReddy obviously did this for a reason, lets figure out how to use it and take advantage of it.

-D
Old 06-17-2004, 08:05 AM
etx

Originally posted by derek_i
But... You have everything in place already to do so. Do you think the engine can be dialed in better based on boost rather than relying on a stock MAF that wasn't designed to measure the flow FI produces?

Maybe someone <cough>GQ</cough> should call Kenji and ask about this?

GReddy obviously did this for a reason, lets figure out how to use it and take advantage of it.

-D

^ Exactly.

I'm working on a fuel map that uses the pressure (map) sensor. Much more accurate. Plus my MAF Voltage is 4.85 @ 7 psi of boost.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:43 AM
ChrisMCagle

Chris, you wont have to worry about coil burning, since with N/A, you arent going to use the ignition harness...so no worries.
I don't? Hmmmm... so I only need the injector harness? Is the ignition harness for F/I applications only?
Old 06-17-2004, 08:59 AM
derek_i

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
I don't? Hmmmm... so I only need the injector harness? Is the ignition harness for F/I applications only?
The ignition harness is not FI specific, but you shouldn't have a need to pull timing in N/A form. You can always add it later if you go FI.

-D
Old 06-17-2004, 11:51 AM
ChrisMCagle

The ignition harness is not FI specific, but you shouldn't have a need to pull timing in N/A form. You can always add it later if you go FI.

-D
Woo Hoo!! I love saving money

-Chris
Old 06-17-2004, 02:42 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, all you need is the injector harness for N/A...and all the other crap I listed in the PM to you.

Derek.....gghh....hmmm.. (lugy)....cough...hacking...chunk of lung.

I agree that MAP based tuning is the way to go..no question there. I just havent had the time or desire yet to build a pressure vs. RPM fuel and timing map from scratch. I will do it someday...just not quite yet. When you go MAP on the fuel, and ditch the MAF input all together, you are entereing into uncharterd waters. Essnetially, the eManage is acting like a stand-alone....completely disregarding the stock MAF input when under boost. This is a bit more complex...and decidely trickier. But once perfected, the end result is SWEET!! Hurry up ETX...build one for 8psi or so please... )

Key priorities for now are fixing all exhuast manifold leaks, and installing FPR and return line.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:40 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Help

Chris, all you need is the injector harness for N/A...and all the other crap I listed in the PM to you.

Key priorities for now are fixing all exhuast manifold leaks, and installing FPR and return line.
Sharif,

If you need or want any help fixing the leaks... let me know.

-Chris
Old 07-22-2004, 10:13 AM
ChrisMCagle

I had forgotten about this thread. Luckily my search paid off!

Ok, I have been talking to Sharif about this in PM, but I'm hoping that a few other of you might have some helpful info too.

I recently installed my eManage about a week and a half ago. I had set the dials to 7-0-B and flashed the firmware to 1.39 right from the beginning so that's the only settings I have ever used. Oh yeah, my car is N/A and I only have the injector harness installed.

Ok, when I first got the unit working, the green activity light would flash all the time and the amber communication light would alternate from being solid to flashing no matter if the computer was hooked up to it or not. I have both the 1.11 and 1.13 versions of the support tool software. Yesterday while using the 1.11 version I tried to do a "map trace", but it didn't work. The selected box never moved, however the realtime info does log properly. I then updated the Support tool to version 1.13 and tried it again. Immediately I noticed a difference. Under the Parameter settings the "Airflow meter change" dropdown actually listed several options whereas with version 1.11 it said "none". Then when I clicked on the checkbox to add and injector map I got the following error message:

Hmmmmmm...

It still added the injector map and this time there was an airflow meter listed in the drop-down on the top left. However the map trace function still did not work, but then I noticed another difference. There were numbers listed vertically down the left side (from 1 to 5) with the 1.13 version, but that column was blank with the 1.11 version.

At this point I am not sure if there are just some weird setting problems, or the unit itself is defective? The fact that the realtime monitoring function works makes me think that it isn't defective, but who knows?

Maybe when I get home I'll try changing the rotary dials to 7-0-1 and see if that makes a difference??

Anyone have a similar problem and figure out how to resolve it?

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 07-22-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:21 AM
derek_i

We had similar problems switching to 7-0-B, and the word from GReddy was to stay with 7-0-1

-D
Old 07-22-2004, 12:30 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Thanks!

We had similar problems switching to 7-0-B, and the word from GReddy was to stay with 7-0-1

-D
Awesome! Thanks for the info!!

I have a few more questions though.

1. Should I keep the 1.39 Firmware update, or downgrade to a lower version?

2. Should I use the 1.13 Support Tool version?

3. Does the LED activity on my eManage unit sound ok? (Solid green activity light and either flashing or solid communication light no matter if the laptop is connected or not)?

-Chris
Old 07-22-2004, 12:58 PM
etx

I would love to give this a try. Someone hook me up with the Support Software.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:04 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by etx
I would love to give this a try. Someone hook me up with the Support Software.
Your PM box is full.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:57 AM
ACP

Meant to post to this, after the problems we had. Glad you brought it back, and Derek answered.

Yes, stay off of 7-0-B!
Car ran for a day, then the next day it would barely start and idle. Ran for about 20 secs and stalled. Sounded like it was running on 1 cyl.
Switched it back, everything is cool.

And the answer to your 3 questions is Yes
Old 07-23-2004, 04:24 AM
derek_i

The newest versions of the GReddy code (1.13 and 1.39) are fine, I wouldn't downgrade. I'm just waiting to see what they say about the 7-0-B setting, right now it's a mystery.

-D
Old 07-23-2004, 08:45 AM
ChrisMCagle

The newest versions of the GReddy code (1.13 and 1.39) are fine, I wouldn't downgrade. I'm just waiting to see what they say about the 7-0-B setting, right now it's a mystery.

-D
I spoke with Kenji at GReddy yesterday about the problems I was having. He agreed that the 7-0-B setting should not be used and to stick with the 7-0-1 setting. The weird thing is that my car runs the same with either setting, but that most likely is due to the fact that I had not changed the maps so they were/are still at 0.0 in all cells. He also said that all units should be upgraded to the 1.39 firmware update and only version 1.13 of the support tool should be used with the 1.39 firmware update.

I made the changes to my system, but the map trace feature still would not work. I played around with it and finally figured out how to get it to work. If you have a map open, then click the map trace button, it doesn't do anything. However, if you click the map trace button without having any maps open, then open the map, it works! (at least, that's how I am able to get mine to work. I'd assume it's the same for everyone?).

Yesterday I also decided to hook up the Throttle Position sensor to my eManage. It is not mentioned anywhere in the instructions so I did a little searching around in the Service Manual and found that there are actually 2 sensors. The one that should be used though is at pin 50 of the ECU wiring harness. I hooked it up to the gray wire on the eManage harness and it works perfectly. It's not really needed, but it's just adds a bit more functionality and also is cool for the data logging because you can see how much throttle you are inputting at any given point on the graph. I suppose that later when I go F/I, it will be nice to have it already hooked up.

If anyone is interested, I edited the eManage wiring diagram to include all the new setting information and also included the wiring location for the TPS. You can download it here.

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisMCagle; 07-23-2004 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:32 AM
ACP

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
. The one that should be used though is at pin 50 of the ECU wiring harness. I hooked it up to the gray wire on the eManage harness and it works perfectly. -Chris
Works like a charm Chris, thanks!

and #50 is green
Old 07-23-2004, 11:34 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by ACP
Works like a charm Chris, thanks!

and #50 is green
Yup. It's green. If you look at the main harness with all the wires coming out of it, there are 3 wires that are all taped up by themselves near the bottom of the rest of the wires. The green wire in there is the TPS wire. If I remember correctly, one of the other 3 wires was blue. Just to be sure though, trace it back to pin location 50 and use a multimeter to test. Hook it to the gray eManage wire and your'e golden.

Oh yeah, don't forget to calibrate the "Throttle Setting" on the Parameter Settings menu once you get everything connected back up.

-Chris
Old 07-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Guru

ETX feel free to stop in and I can both save a copy of the map for you and also upgrade your firmware. It's no charge since you bought the turbo kit from me. Just call me ahead of time as we have been super busy.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn...Chris....look at you....instant eManage expert...I like it!
Old 07-23-2004, 03:11 PM
ChrisMCagle

Damn...Chris....look at you....instant eManage expert...I like it!
Hehehe! Thanks!

Seriously though Sharif, I owe you bigtime for all the help you have given me with this project! I don't think that I could have gotten anything working without your help.

-Chris

Quick Reply: GReddy E-Manage software update 1.39