Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another failed engine cause by greddy TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 05:54 AM
Happyending
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sure its not a fouled plug?I had the same thing happen on my car from running rich.I was on the Dyno and around 6000rpms it went POP POP like the rev limiter but 800 rpms to soon..Turns out it was a fouled plug, I was using the NGK's.They wont look fouled at all cause they suck period...You need to replace them to tell.

And on a side note, where are all the people who bashed the ATI engines a while back and SWORE by going TT??
Old 07-27-2004, 06:46 AM
whosdady

Originally posted by little_rod
OK, now this is starting to scare me and probably anyone else who has thought about a TT. We can go through our lists of things it might be, but point blank, it is still just an engine that was messed up by a TT.

SCs, especially the Vortech, are becoming a lot more attractive. Good luck to you fernandito7, this is really bad news, hopefully it is not too bad. Please keep us updated.
Vortech SC's are very capable of blowing engines as there have been several. The most recent was only a couple weeks ago. Do a search for forum member "natve4ply".

I have not heard of one blown motor that was using the technosquare flash/PE injector form of fuel delivery. This seems like the safest method availble today. My timing goes rougly to 19-21 during WOT.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:02 AM
fernandito7

Its not the plugs. They were checked and they were fine. I am taking it to the shop today and they r gonna do a leak test. Today when i started the car to move it to the street so the tow truck can get it, i noticed that it threw out black residue from the tips. What does this tell me?
Old 07-27-2004, 10:46 AM
tig488

whosdady, i dont remember seeing any posts from a vortech engine failure, the one you mentioned is a wierd situation where the entire left bank is acting funny, i havent seen an updated post since he took it in to be looked at, other than that i dont remember another one, do you?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:18 AM
whosdady

Yes I have read about more than one vortech powered motor blowing. The one above was the last I remember on this forum. It occured roughly 3 weeks ago. The guy took his car out of state for the install and got it back with really low dyno numbers. He then had the compression checked and the whole left side was bad. He did post an update not to long ago but I couldn't find it. I will search to see if I can find any others from this board. It may have been on a different forum?

My point isn't to knock vortech, I am just saying vortech is just as capable of damaging a motor as any of the other F/I kits. I have a feeling you will be seeing more vortech kits blowing only because guys are now increasing the boost and keeping the stock injectors.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by fernandito7
Today when i started the car to move it to the street so the tow truck can get it, i noticed that it threw out black residue from the tips. =
Please dont start this car again until you diagnose it. Even at idle, if something, is fractured or stressed, you can throw the rod right through the block.

Black smoke is an indication of oil burning (poor compression due to ring leakage) or running extremely rich.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:35 PM
350G

Hmmm . . . daddy get's his TT installed in two weeks. Yup, looks like I'll stay at stock boost until I receive forged rods & pistons.

On a side note, even if it happened to me, I wouldn't place the blame on Greddy. It's like saying "domestic cars don't go past 100K miles." Bottom line: if you take care of it, in this case, build the engine to handle the increased boost, then there will be one less victim of a blown engine.

Good luck and I hope its nothing major.

G
Old 07-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I still think this kit should have come with timing retarding provisions from the start. My car and wild350z's cars were pinging at 5psi of boost...that is unacceptable in my opinion.

You shouldnt have to leave it up the end user to tweak the kit for safety at stock boost levels. Ideally, they should have released the kit at 5.5psi with timing retard. Then let those that want to increase boost do so at their own risk, and after making other mods.

It's kinda sad, becuase that little timing harness and diodes are less than $35 in parts.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is unlikely a valve...but if you want a quick way to test it, drop some tranny fluid into the cylinder with the low compression - if the compression shoots up, you blew a ring (likely IMHO), if not, it's a valve (highly unlikely as phunk said).

The tuner blows the motor, bottom line. There are plenty of boosted 350z's running around with 400 plus that are near daily driven cars with a whole arsenal of bandaids for engine management......the difference being that the people behind these cars know what they are doing from a tuning perspective, and can make those series of bandaides work for them.

Does that mean everyone should run out and buy forged internals......nope...I doubt most people here can even make use of them. You do need to pick your installer and tuner VERY carefully, and make sure they know how to use your intended engine mgmt solution backwards and forwards. This will do more than anything else to help ensure your car runs well from the start.

Adam
Old 07-27-2004, 08:05 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by Z1 Performance

Does that mean everyone should run out and buy forged internals......nope...I doubt most people here can even make use of them. You do need to pick your installer and tuner VERY carefully, and make sure they know how to use your intended engine mgmt solution backwards and forwards. This will do more than anything else to help ensure your car runs well from the start.

Adam
Well said. Poor tuning will destroy forged stuff almost as quickly as the stock stuff.

I think there are a lot of shops that are trying to the tune the 350Z with the same approach as tuning a Honda...without understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the VQ. That is my biggest fear in turning my car over to even a reputable "tuner", if they havent done several VQ's before. Until I find one..I am sticking to self-tune.

On another note, when a professional tuner blows up a motor, are they legally responsible for repairing your car? Does the customer have to sign a waiver? When I rent dyno time, I have to sign a waiver releasing the dyno shop of all liability. Is this customary in the tuning world?
Old 07-28-2004, 01:51 PM
fernandito7

Got an update.... The noise it was making was a bent rod. So now its time to fix this problem. However, i will not be going the forged internals way. After this experience i am convinced that my car is not meant to take so much abuse. It is cheaper for me to replace the engine than to strip it down and fix that bent rod. So i will be getting a used engine, dropping it in with the greddy kit and leaving the boost alone. Nothing over the stock boost. IT is safer this way and less costly as i do not have that much money to spend on this car anymore. 357 to the wheels is fine for me. Oh and very good news, my tuner will be helping me out with this problem by providing funds to fix it.
Now i will be having an engine for sale. All thats wrong is a bent rod. Total mileage is less than 11K actually around 10650. Anyone interested in this for a build up let me know. BUt this still sucks.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:54 PM
PoWeRtRiP

sorry to hear that. you could probably sell you old engine to one of the members for some $$$ after you replace it so long as the block is fine. many of them are dieing to get their hands on somehting to build up
Old 07-28-2004, 01:54 PM
MIAPLAYA

Sorry to hear this dude. Good luck with the new one. May I ask what # it was?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:16 PM
fernandito7

cylinder #2. Well whoever is interested in the engine let me know.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

pm sent
Old 07-28-2004, 03:36 PM
350Now

wooo sorry to hear about your engine, hopefully all will work out. That's 2 engine done due to bent rods.. kinda makes me wonder now and probably will make me stay at stock boost until internals are addressed.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:40 PM
joenismo

pm sent, interested in your engine. I just broke one my rods also.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:25 PM
little_rod

Wow, sorry to hear about that bent rod fernan, that really sucks. If it were me, I don't really know what I would do, guess you are doing what is best for you. But I do have a question, if the shop is helping pay for it, why not go the forged route, would they help with that??

whosdaddy and tig488, I was really talking about SC's in general for this stock engine, not a particular type of SC. I haven't seen any problems with the Vortech, and the ATI problems do seem to be a thing of the past.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:53 AM
fernandito7

I really dont want to go the forged way because first of all they will not help with that and second this will cost too much. I have other plans for myself and this whole thing has gotten too expensive. Id rahter just stay at the stock boost setting and leave it like that. At least i know that i will be safe in this range. THis is enough power for me.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:43 PM
G3po

Default long block

pm sent and I only live 45 minutes from SanJose .
No shipping charges.

Quick Reply: Another failed engine cause by greddy TT