Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Another failed engine cause by greddy TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 06:43 AM
ZainT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When installing the new engine/used engine and installing the TT kit back onto the incoming motor.. you might want to rethink taking it to that same tuner... that may be the only tuner around for you and in that case, don't listen to me. However it seems like the tuner is just placing this problem in your lap and saying here take care of this, when he is actually to blame.. and when you said he is "helping you" with the funds.. does this mean he is paying all expsenses? or jsut a little bit of it?

Look around maybe there are some tuners that have done this before or are, like others have said, familiar with the VQ35 motor... you also might ahve to drive a bit to someone who will know what they are doing... be careful man, best wishes to ya!
Old 07-30-2004, 08:48 AM
Yancy

Sorry to hear about your engine and I understand the mounting expenses related to FI. With respect to your tuner, maybe you should think about getting an attorney involved. Before you sell that engine, please let me know the highest bidder. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:15 AM
fernandito7

Thanks for all ur responses. U guys have really helped me to keep my head up. Ive been stressing about this problem but now since everything will be taken care of, its not as bad anymore. I still miss my car. Also thanks to all of those interested in the engine. I will sell to the highest b idder. Keep the offers coming.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:33 AM
fernandito7

Should i buy a new clutch since the engine is gonna be out? Will the stock clutch be good enough for the stock boost???
Old 07-31-2004, 01:45 PM
350Now

I think the Stock clutch can handle the stock boost
Old 07-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by fernandito7
Should i buy a new clutch since the engine is gonna be out? Will the stock clutch be good enough for the stock boost???

Any type of aggresive driving....even with stock boost...will quickly burn up your clutch. My stock clutch was toast even before I began turning the boost up, and once I turned it up...fuggedaboutit.

Now, if you have no intention of drag racing or aggresive street driving, then the stock clutch is fine. But while that motor is out, I'd spend the extra $500 at get a Clutchmaster Stage II or stage II clutch.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:40 PM
fernandito7

Where can i buy that clutch gq?How good is it? How does it feel? I probably will need the stage 2 since i wont be doing any drag racing maybe some street racing but not all that often. i might as well get it now . Let me know. THanks
Old 07-31-2004, 05:26 PM
G3po

Default clutch

If you go with Clutchmaster , you want the Stage 3 IMO.

So when will your heads be pulled off to assess the damage.
If the block is OK and the sleeve(s) have no huge gouges in them , I am still interested in buyingthe short block or long block.
remember I live just north of the GG bridge and it appears you are in SJ.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:36 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

yeah..what is the bidding up to on your motor.. I have dibs on it too.

Regarding the clutch, many vendors have them. I was talking to Tim at ACP (www.autocarparts.com) about one right before i crashed my car.

And yeah..my bad..I meant to tell you to get the stage III. Here is a pic.

http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?p...000&AppID=5195
Old 07-31-2004, 09:36 PM
G3po

Default cllutch

Yeh CM is a good value.
Still have a woody for a carbon/carbon like
Tilton , Exedy or maby ATS.
Lot of beans though (:
Old 08-01-2004, 05:05 AM
jak

IMO if a kit is R&Ded like Greddy or others and the engine blows, then it is the tuner/installers fault. The only reason these tuners don't step up to the plate and fix their problems is lack of insurance and money.

Tuners/installers blow engines not kits. That is the #1 worry I have in regards to purchasing a TT kit is the tuner/installer.

Jeff
Old 08-01-2004, 07:19 AM
zimbo

jak, I'm having a hard time finding the tuner to blame in this situation. How is it his fault that the rod bent?

Fernandito, I think it's REALLY cool that your tuner is offering to help with costs because unless he specifically went against your wishes and raised the boost higher than you told him to, he did nothing wrong.

--Steve
Old 08-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by jak
IMO if a kit is R&Ded like Greddy or others and the engine blows, then it is the tuner/installers fault. The only reason these tuners don't step up to the plate and fix their problems is lack of insurance and money.

Tuners/installers blow engines not kits. That is the #1 worry I have in regards to purchasing a TT kit is the tuner/installer.

Jeff
I respectfully disagree. I know if two Greddy TT kits...perfectly installed...that were pinging with stock boost levels. (Mine and wild350Z's). Ok, mine had some exhuast leaks, but that doesnt cause pinging.

The 350Z's ECU is so variable and finicky, that some form of custom tweaking is often needed for safe operation, particularly on 91 octane CA crap gas. On 93 octane, i image the kit is ping free at 5.5psi.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:44 AM
fernandito7

Coo. The engine has no damage to the block. All thats wrong with it is a bent rod and maybe damage to the piston. As far as bidding, so far only GQ has made me an offer. But there are others who are interested but have not made an offer until some pictures are present. Keep in mind that it was very difficult for me to find a new engine. It seems that there are not a lot of used engines out there. I will sell my engine but not for a ridiculous low price because the engine onlyhas 10650 miles and only went through 3 oil changes.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Junkyards are notorious for asking for super high prices. So whatever he offers to sell it for...offer him half...seriously.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:00 PM
jak

Originally posted by gq_626
I respectfully disagree. I know if two Greddy TT kits...perfectly installed...that were pinging with stock boost levels. (Mine and wild350Z's). Ok, mine had some exhuast leaks, but that doesnt cause pinging.

The 350Z's ECU is so variable and finicky, that some form of custom tweaking is often needed for safe operation, particularly on 91 octane CA crap gas. On 93 octane, i image the kit is ping free at 5.5psi.
In that case wouldn't you consider the Greddy kit to be the problem? If it was R&Ded thoroughly the Greddy kit should bolt to any car and function properly, provided the install was correct and the gas used is what was R&Ded. Understanding that each car is slightly different, only MINOR tweaking should have to be done by a tuner, and any minor tweak needed to be made should not be catastrophic either way.

Zimbo,
I just can't see how the problem is Nissan's rods bending. The car is what it is and the kit manufactures should be taking these things in consideration when they develop their kits. The kit manufactures should not release a kit that will bend a rod. Likewise a tuner should not have to tune the kit which could risk bending a rod.

Now if one were trying to tune every last ounce of power out of a kit that was not developed that way then that is a different story IMO. Then the person making the decission to "re-tune" is to blame.

I guess I may be wishing or hoping for to much from the kit manufactures?

Jeff
Old 08-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Happyending
Banned

Zimbo,
I just can't see how the problem is Nissan's rods bending. The car is what it is and the kit manufactures should be taking these things in consideration when they develop their kits. The kit manufactures should not release a kit that will bend a rod. Likewise a tuner should not have to tune the kit which could risk bending a rod.

Sometimes things break..Not all engines are made exactly the same.Sometimes there are manufacturers defects that can come into play as in this case. Also keep in mind the engine was NEVER designed to run F/I especially with NON forged rods and 10.3:1 compression. Just ask APS and they will tell you the rods on this car for some reason are WEAK and will break (on the average) oround 430-450 whp..As for Skidazzle's car and the others putting down 450 whp they are just lucky and for those who have blown engines are unlucky..not all the engine are gonna fail at the same level,some will fail at higher hp levels some at lower levels, some wont fail at all..Thats just the luck of the draw when you start to play with things that arent meant to be.
PS and you can't blame Nissan for engineering their product to do what its meant to do and not be designed for F/I , if the car didnt have a TT it probably would have lasted forever. and you can not blame Greddy for their kit causing this failure cause the rods were probably not strong enougn in the first place on this particular motor.

Last edited by Happyending; 08-02-2004 at 02:04 PM.