Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

PE TT @ 8psi, impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 08:16 AM
slay2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PE TT @ 8psi, impressions...

Well, the Greddy has been sold, the PE is now on the car, due to a partial sponsorship I've received from a PE dealer. Since I have owned both, I'd like to give my opinion on the differences. Pardon the lack of structure here, but I will ramble on about whatever comes to mind...

I'm absolutely in love with the PE. It's a very clean, well-designed kit that uses high-quality parts. It uses less room in the engine bay than the Greddy does, as the turbos are smaller and the piping's a bit different. There is almost no risk of melted lines or things catching on fire because there is plenty of clearance around every kind of line, including power steering, oil lines, and fuel lines. This was not the case with the Greddy.

There are no leaks or blown gaskets, and I don't expect any, since PE seems to use top-notch parts in their kit. Wish I could say the same for the Greddy.

My BOV is mounted under the hood between the IC piping and the MAF, and boy does it sound sweet. The best part of the kit is the TechnoSquare reflash. Overnighted it to the good folks at TS, and I'm running 8.5psi with a 7100 redline and no speed limiter the next day. The car idles perfectly. Just like stock, if not better. I expect the A/F to be a perfect 11.5, because my friend has a similar setup and that's exactly what he dyno'd. Spazpilot also runs the 380cc injectors with the TS reflash and he gets an 11.5 across the board. Technosquare really knows their stuff. Props to them!

Speaking of idling, the Greddy idled much rougher because of the 440 injectors, and during starting of the car it occasionally dipped so low I almost thought it might stall. This does not happen with the PE.

The stock clutch, surprisingly, is holding up just fine. I've been handing dozens of cars their asses lately (even a sportbike!), and there has been no slipping from the dig or from a roll. In any case, I already have an ACT replacement heavy-duty clutch waiting to be put in =)

The front aluminum safety beam is now back in place and gives me extra peace of mind. I am not experiencing any boost spikes like I did with my Greddy kit... in other words, if I turn the boost controller to 0.6 bar, then that's exactly what I get. With the Greddy, when I floored it at the top of 2nd gear, I would spike to like 9psi for a second before it would drop back down.

Surprisingly, you would think that the Tial external wastegates that come with the Greddy kit would perform better than the actuated internal wastegates in the PE kit. However, there is no boost creep or boost spikes with the PE, which is very surprising and comforting.

I should mention that the turbos spool faster. Although it's only somewhat faster, it is still faster. And I actually hear them spool now... it sounds pretty sweet. Then again, this is to be expected from smaller ball-bearing turbos.

On a side note, when I picked up the car my shop mistakenly put the boost controller in wrong, so instead of limiting the boost it made it UNLIMITED. I test-drove the car for the first time and started breaking traction in every single gear... then I took a quick glance at my gauges to see 0.8 bar... which is about 12psi. Oops! Thank god for solid fuel pressure and 94 octane =O And thank god I let off the gas after I broke traction each time, hehe.

Anyhow, don't worry guys, I will get dyno charts and track times within 2 weeks - I promise. I estimate 400whp and very low 12s in the quarter mile. To be honest, I think I might even break 11's on my BFGs, but only time will tell

-slay
Old 08-02-2004, 08:23 AM
bwzabodyn

Pics, pretty please??? The PE kit is definitely superior to the GReddy and with the difference in install costs, they are *almost* priced similarly... since the install runs about 2x more w/ the GReddy... I think more people will start catching on to the PE kit and realize that "you get what you pay for" - I only wish I could pay for one!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:14 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds nice . . .except for the whole boost controller thing.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:09 AM
zimbo

Oh man, your post has me dying with anticipation here (my PE TT kit will be here on Thursday). I'm sending my ECU back to TS for the 8.5psi reflash on Friday. Fingers crossed.

--Steve
Old 08-02-2004, 11:06 AM
VR3

Thanks for the review. Dumb question…with the boost controller can you set the psi on the PE at ~5 for daily driving if you wanted and back up to 8 if needed since you had TS reflash the ECU to 8psi?
Old 08-02-2004, 11:25 AM
zimbo

You can turn obviously turn down the boost, the question is what will happen to the A/F ratio when you do. My understanding is that the boost-based FMU will compensate by pumping less fuel but you'll still have the tendency to run richer if you lower the boost beneath what you're flashed for.

In other words, AFAIK with the 8psi reflash you'd be running slightly rich at 5 psi and slightly lean at 9psi.

--Steve
Old 08-02-2004, 11:36 AM
slay2k

VR3, I was originally gonna do that, but I think the engine will handle 8 long-term without any problems. So I'm just gonna run 8 on a daily basis... and if you don't wanna hit 8psi, then don't floor it and redline =)

I'll take pics for you guys in a couple of weeks, when my bodykit is on, so I can show off the intercooler ;]

Last edited by slay2k; 08-02-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Jeff@Evolution

Do you have dyno sheets of Greddy vs. PE kit. Since you had/have both on your car.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:27 PM
slay2k

Jeff I never dyno'd the Greddy... but I'll be able to judge them via quarter-mile times... since I know my best on the Greddy was a 12.567 @ 107 with drag radials.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slay...hurry up and get that dyno chart up there....you will be the first person ever to post a dynojet dyno chart of the PE kit.

Yeah, when I drove Cheston's car, I noticed the PE turbos made a more intoxicating spool up and turbine noise than the Greddy.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:42 PM
zimbo

If all goes well I'll have a Dynapack dyno @ ~8psi in about a week. I'll find it somewhat funny if I'm the first guy to post a PE TT dyno since I believe I was also the first person on the board to post a Vortech dyno.

--Steve
Old 08-02-2004, 03:45 PM
thawk408

Do all Greddy kits spike like that? What psi were you running on your greddy kit?

What is the power delivery difference and feel between the PE and the Greddy?
Old 08-02-2004, 03:47 PM
slay2k

thawk,

I'm not sure if all of them do or don't, I just know mine did. I was running stock 5.8 boost. The PE is running 8psi, so it obviously feels faster =)
Old 08-02-2004, 03:53 PM
thawk408

How much did you pick up your kit for?
Old 08-02-2004, 06:09 PM
slay2k

thawk, it was a deal that included installation from an authorized reseller, I don't think I'm at liberty to disclose
Old 08-02-2004, 06:18 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

You should do an in-car driving vid "test drive"!
I would LOVE to get a feel for what it is like to drive around town with a kit like that!
Kind of like a Best Motoring Vid.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:23 PM
slay2k

EnthuZiast, I will do that in two weeks when i get my body kit on the car in addition to a dyno and quarter mile...
Old 08-02-2004, 06:37 PM
zimbo

I have a camera mount so I'll do an "around town" video as well. More videos = better.

--Steve
Old 08-02-2004, 06:46 PM
350Mark

Congrats on the new kit! Where can I purchase the PE?
Old 08-02-2004, 07:45 PM
slay2k

Mark, send me a PM, I'll try and hook you up.

Quick Reply: PE TT @ 8psi, impressions...