Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Engine (part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 09:42 PM
bruschijr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine (part 2)

Well heres my second update... Not much, but if anything significant happens then Ill post something like i did now..

So for those who guessed it... ding ding.. water water everywhere... ahhhh.

Remember that brown sludgy stuff... haha looks like chocolate milk.. Well there was a lot of it... and to make sure I didnt end up like i did last night when i tried to turn the engine... I put a bucket underneath.. Nevertheless.... I spilled it

Cat litter works great...

Well about a half cup of water came out and then came the sludge... but everthing is out now.. so no more spills... there was some coolant that leaked out too... but everything is gone..

I was able to turn the engine over finally.. only to realize I needed some kind of seal cutter... which I couldnt find at sears... Hope pep boys has them.... ANYONE KNOW.. please.. where to get one.. or what else i can use..?

My main concern is the crankshaft right now.. Besides that Ive been rubbing some of that degreaser off and the engine looks pretty good on the outside...

Ill post some pics of my adventures.. a measly 2 of them, but that is all that is worth it... I'll send them to GQ.. hopefully he'll put them up for me... Ill probably have another update Sunday night.. by then I should have the oil pan (upper and lower off) and have gotten most of the timing asembly apart. Till then.....
Old 08-21-2004, 01:06 AM
bruschijr

As of tonight.. I was able to get the lower and upper engine oil pan off... YAY... I just used a paint scraper...and a hammer.

I have no idea what kind of chunks of what were in there.. still trying to figure out the substance... but anyway I'm moving along pretty well...

GOOD NEWS is I guess... so far I can see the crank and all.. at least the back of the pistons.. Everything looks like its in good shape... thats a little relief for now... I cant really get a good picture of it at the moment.. I guess its to dark Ill try again tomarrow... oh and the exhaust valves look immaculate compared to the intake valves..

The crank turns about 3/4 rotation with not much of a problem... then it gets stuck and i have to use a little force to turn it over... but it goes..

There is only 1 problem.. well actually 2 that I have now...

How do I get the Crank pulley off???? Its bothering the hell out of me.. I can't figure it out.. Also the pulley right next to it... has 4 screws along it.. but nothing on the center that would look like you can remover it. It does however look like I can get it off by loosening a bracket that holds it.. but the crank pulley is in the way.. First time.. give me some credit.. but please help me with this.. all the manual says is..... "remove crank pulley"

Well thats it for now... hey... Im hoping im at least helping some people by posting this... so at least they know what they are going to be putting thier engine through if they rebuild it...

Any questions feel free to ask, im sure I'll be asking a lot.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:25 PM
psychoticminds1

im not 100% sure but i think it is pressed on and needs to be pulled off.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:21 AM
MIAPLAYA

Go to your local Autoparts store and get a pulley puller
Old 08-22-2004, 03:11 PM
MardiGrasMax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get the crank out be sure to clean all the bearings good, dry them, then do a good coat of Motul Multi Protect or worst case WD40 to stop them from rusting while you store it during your build up. The bearings will rust quickly, and if its got water in the oil be proactive against this.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:33 AM
G3po

Default crank pulley

The pulley should come right off with some wiggling once the center bolt is removed. The pulley is "not" pressed on. Use and impact wrench on the bolt. I know this from my UR pulley install.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:04 AM
bruschijr

Thanks... was able to get it off with my jump on the ratchet technique.