Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The car is RUNNING on the HKS FCON VPRO and HKS 1000cc Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 03:34 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The car is RUNNING on the HKS FCON VPRO and HKS 1000cc Injectors

Welp... like the title says, its back together running.

I fired up the car on the FCON 2 weeks ago but didnt really say much about it cause the E-Manage was still in and I just wanted to see the car fire up with it before I unwired the E-Manage and put this thing in with the big *** injectors.

So the Emanage is now out of the car completely. HKS 1000cc injectors are in there, and thats all I have changed since the 7.5psi dyno runs and the supra race videos at 8 psi.

The HKS 1000cc injectors fit, but they needed to use the spacers that came with the greddy kit, and we also had to put the injectors on a lathe to get them to accept the right size o-ring to seal them into the AAM (or stock) fuel rails. These fuel injectors use the same plugs as stock, so no wiring needed... except for me cause I already had the RC's in the car.

HKS USA was amazing with their support in helping me figure out out the FCON... amazing company. Now I just got to tie up a few loose ends and start tuning.

Oh i made a video - please dont own my bandwidth like last time with the supra racing video!

http://www.cj-motorsports.com/fconruns.wmv

-Charles
CJ Motorsports
Old 09-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's cool! look mom...no MAF sensor!
Old 09-02-2004, 05:10 PM
350Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to hear of your progress Charles. Are you still using the stock motor or is the that the built motor?
Old 09-02-2004, 05:48 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

that is the stock motor... i am getting all this stuff squared away for when the built motor goes in.

as soon as we figure out the main bearings for the short block, its ready to go. Nissan misstamped the block and crank, so now we have to play around and figure out what they meant since Nissan apparently does not have a way of telling you what part number bearing is what thickness... so we have to order a bunch and measure them ourselves or something... working on it.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:59 PM
7 eleven

That's great news. This will open up another way to get some really large numbers out of the VQ.

How is the driveablity? Are you able to trim the fuel down for idle (i.e what's the a/f at idle)?

Due to the limited HKS Prodealers out there do you plan on selling these programed for Z's with FI? Kinda plug and play.
Gary
Old 09-02-2004, 09:17 PM
azrael

Originally posted by phunk
that is the stock motor... i am getting all this stuff squared away for when the built motor goes in.

as soon as we figure out the main bearings for the short block, its ready to go. Nissan misstamped the block and crank, so now we have to play around and figure out what they meant since Nissan apparently does not have a way of telling you what part number bearing is what thickness... so we have to order a bunch and measure them ourselves or something... working on it.
That sucks. Any chance you can fill us in on the difficulties of building the motor after you sort things out?

These are the sorts of things that scare the crap out of me as a guy who wants to build a street motor. Selecting the wrong bearings is something that can happen so easily, and the customer would have no idea until the crank is irreparably damaged.

Please fill us in as you learn more.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

It is great to see someone doing it differently. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:42 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Brilliant - Charles.. Just awsum No MAF

Charles..

I guess you show-ed us.. That is show-ed us the way..

Pure MAP huh?

The FCON response on the Lap-Top is awsum ( Did I use Awsum in this post - before ? )

Could you tell us a little about how HKS recommended the MAP setup's

This information could be lost in "History" I was thinking..

What kind of incremental changes can be programmed?

Is it based on RPM
Is It based on - Whoa Neelly... No tube to Intake.. The Turbo's are
free pumping..

O.K. Get back to us when you have time.. Congrat's CJ

Cheers Amy -
Old 09-03-2004, 01:19 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

I just got back from 80 miles of road tuning up to 5200RPM and 5psi of boost and everything inbetween. I am now cleaning up my maps and filling in the areas where I didnt get any samples to smooth out the maps.

Right now the driveabilty is awesome. There are a few things I need to work out in the tuning... nothing worth mentioning cause its nothing that will not be fixed in tuning. Starting from scratch with a EMS is a lot harder then starting with stock and tuning a piggyback.

azrael: we figured out the bearing situation and its all taken care of now. We had to do a lot of calling around and someone at Nissan was able to tell us what was going on and now the bearings are on the way.

AmyCroft: Yes the car is running 100% map system now, the MAF is no longer utilized. the FCON could use the MAF but I did not want to, I wanted pure MAP.

As for what can be programmed... the sky is the limit. When they say fully programmable they mean fully programable... it does countless cool things and it would take me an hour to make a list.

THis is my first time using the FCON, but I am learning it quickly. Too bad I have to learn it on such an expensive car!!! Oh well... if I make it thru the weekend without blowing the engine, I might have some new dynos to post up... I am currently undecided on how hard I will push it. The new motor will be done very very very soon... I am starting to get excited... which rarely happens from things like this anymore.

-Charles

Last edited by phunk; 09-03-2004 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:43 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

ok, wow... so I just got done doing some clean up of the maps to get ready for more road tuning...

if this HKS Power Writer software was any more powerful, easy to navigate, efficient, and downright ****in amazing... oh man. I am so amazed by this engine management system. its in-****ing-credible I cant beleive it. I feel like break dancing. Its a dream come true... man, if HKS didnt limit this system to just us Prodealers... people would be installing it every car, motorcycle, moped, and lawn mower they own.

After all the frustration I have had with other EMS' , I sit here with this one and have yet to have a single problem or complaint.. not a single ****in one. Everything has been flawless from the first time I turned the key.

Last edited by phunk; 09-03-2004 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:11 AM
ether

phunk,

is the Fcon you are tuning with, the same system that comes with the HKS SC? wondering if that system can be also tuned to the same levels as you are doing
Old 09-03-2004, 02:23 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

ether: the HKS SC does come with an FCON, but not this one.

I am using the FCON VPRO which is an entire, complete, standalone system. The SC kit comes with an FCON S or SZ, which are piggy backs, somewhat comparable to the E-Manage only still significantly more powerful as they have their own injector drivers and can reduce pulsewidth without playing with your airflow signal.

Unless HKS locked out the maps, any HKS Prodealer should be able to tune the FCON in the SC kit to your cars needs.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:50 AM
G3po

Default Timing

Does this HKS unit also mod timing?
Old 09-03-2004, 11:07 AM
t32gzz

Phunk- I have heard that the FCON can actually adjust fuel based on desired A/F ratio. Is this true? Will it run 14.7 at idle??
Old 09-03-2004, 11:59 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

G3po: it contains the entire timing map, you have no choice BUT to tune the timing.

t35gzz: yes, it does do A/F Feedback compensation. Thats what I have been using to get me in range before I fine tune.

-Charles
Old 09-03-2004, 03:54 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Car is now tuned up to 7.5psi on the dyno.

I will post pics of the graph as soon as my web server stops acting up.

Meanwhile... im gonna go do some cleanup on the maps in preperation for some 8.5-9 psi runs.

-Charles
Old 09-03-2004, 04:28 PM
azrael

sounds great. I wish I could get access to the HKS Power Writer software.. I would choose the FCON V in a second if that were available. I just can't resign myself to going to a certified tuner every time I want to change the parameters. I understand why they do it -- to protect themselves from people who don't know what they're doing.. but unfortunately it hurts those of us who do.

any chance you can fill us in on what you found out about the bearings from Nissan?
Old 09-03-2004, 04:36 PM
G3po

Default FCON

Can the FCON to have several maps pre- configured via Power Writer , which allows the general user to "swap" them and download them via a laptop? I'd be perfectly happy with few specific "application/bin map" that I could personally download from my personal carputer depending upon track vs. street use..
Old 09-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

being that its full standalone you can have an endless array of maps stored on your laptop and download as needed. Thts one of the beautiful things about standalone. I have had the Electromotive on my 280 ZX for years now....I easily have 100+ maps stored on my laptop for different gas, boost levels, humidity levels, etc etc.

Phunk - can you run without sensor feedback ? IE - no input from the knock or 02 sensors and just run the raw map you have programmed? What is the resolution?
Old 09-03-2004, 05:09 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

yes i can do that, i turned off the 02 feedback since the second i got on the dyno and i have yet to wire the knock sensor to the FCON input.

the resolution is 32x32... I have every 250rpm from 0 - 8000 rpm.

Quick Reply: The car is RUNNING on the HKS FCON VPRO and HKS 1000cc Injectors