Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My blown engine is finally apart.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Monsta

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts

Can you post a pic of the rods and somemore pics of the engine itself?
Old 09-30-2004, 08:57 AM
QuantumZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Gary Evans
A turbo piston with a thicker top ring land is better as it may buy you a nanosecond but if the engine experiences detonation it will eat any piston forged or otherwise and the weakness part will fail first. You are not going to build an engine that will survive with detonation. Detonation must be avoided.
While no piston can survive dett totally, the strength is greatly improved with forged pistons properly designed for boost. Not only is the material stronger, but like they said, the lands are farther down. Those top lands look like you could snap them off if you hit it with a steel mallet on the bench. That's about what the dett does to it. In fact, the pistons can be weak enough to NOT be detting and still break them off. We've put down enough torque on Subaru STi stock pistons (<9:1 and designed for turbo) that they break the lands apart and the rings hold them together.
Usually once you've got some hardcore pistons and rods, your bearings are the weak spot. That's where I'd be very curious to see how well the bearings are designed on the VQ as far as oiling, width, etc. I've seen that the Nismo crank has more journals which would be a good idea for really high power turbo VQ's.
Anyways, great power. I think you'll see that we are just starting the scratch the surface here with the 3.5L beast.