Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Will my Greddy TT pass smog?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 05:43 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Ok, I have a question that is somewhat related to the topic. How do Stock turbo cars (300ZX, Evo VIII, etc) pass smog if they are turbo'd? Are they just set up differently than an aftermarket TT? I would eventually like to go SC or TT, but I don't want to hassle with uninstalling it every time I have to go for a smog check.

-Chris
Factory turbo cars are set up differently...
a few things:
boost cannot blow off into environment, it is fed back into a closed circuit
they are usually set up at low boost levels
the engine is built with forced induction in mind... so the whole setup is configured to meet all the requirements and standards of other vehicles, things like passing emmisions...
Old 10-08-2004, 08:49 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

example, the wrx runs 3 cats on a 2l motor!
Old 10-09-2004, 07:07 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zparts
um....NO...You will fail and be flaged to go to a referee after you remove the kit. You will also be flagged to have to go to a SMOG only station for the life of the vehicle. I've seen it countless times.

That is unless the kit gets issued a CARB E.O. number.
I'm a little confused. I'm not from CA, so this doesn't apply to me, but so long as the actual emissions from the vehicle are below a certain standard, why should it matter what actual equipment is on the car?
Old 10-09-2004, 09:03 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

it shouldnt, and thats why smog tests are ********.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CA is total BS....most states are not like that. In CA, even if your car blows exhaust is well within...or even less than the minimum, they will fail you if ANY smog equipment is removed, tamperd with, altered....or anything else.

It really sucks.

There is a process called CARB exemption, and to get it, the manufacturer of the performance product must submit extensive testing that shows that their modiciations do not increase the emmissions of the vehicle...and of course..no factory smog equipment can be touched.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:12 PM
cquence 350 [Z]

This all sucks. I hope Arnold can change this. LOL I doubt it. But CA has way too many laws. And they are all little BS laws too.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:30 PM
SilverSellout

There is a process called CARB exemption, and to get it, the manufacturer of the performance product must submit extensive testing that shows that their modiciations do not increase the emmissions of the vehicle...and of course..no factory smog equipment can be touched.
Don't forget the immense amounts of money that the part manufacturer has to pay the California Air Resources Board in order for them to issue an EO #

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll be saying it until the day I die. The smog laws in Cali are about making money, not the actual emissions that come out of your tailpipe.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:12 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

I used to live in the los angeles area, two cars ago i had a 91 crx w/ a b16a motor, that little car was very fast and fun...anyway, after exactly one year of owning it i got the notice in the mail that i need to smog the car. i made the mistake of going to a normal smog station... i failed hard!!!

...they told me if i went to a smog referee station that they could pass it w/ an exemption because of the engine swap...that was the worst advice that i could have followed...
toi make a long story short, the referee entered me in the statewide system as a gross poluter, at that point there is NOTHING you can do to get around it, besides swapping out a different motor and getting it smogged stock and then switching it back

...i sold the car on e-bay to ssomeone on the eastcpast...sad..but now happy with a twin turbo Z!!!!