Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Will my Greddy TT pass smog?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 10:56 PM
cquence 350 [Z]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will my Greddy TT pass smog?

I am just wondering if our Greddy TT kit will pass smog in California. I got another 2 years or so before I have to do a smog check. But if it doesnt pass smog...I think I will have to do it under the table if it is still possible. Anyone know a place in Cali to do it under the table?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:36 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Will my Greddy TT pass smog?

Originally posted by cquence 350 [Z]
I am just wondering if our Greddy TT kit will pass smog in California. I got another 2 years or so before I have to do a smog check. But if it doesnt pass smog...I think I will have to do it under the table if it is still possible. Anyone know a place in Cali to do it under the table?
you will not pass the visual inspection

Anyone who tells where to get it "under the table" on a forum is pretty retarded..

"hey there is a shop that will break the law for you, here are his contact details" lol

cops like to read forums too you know. i don't know any anyways.

goodluck. just take everything off and put it back on.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:35 PM
G3po

Default Re: Re: Will my Greddy TT pass smog?

Originally posted by accordfreak
you will not pass the visual inspection

Anyone who tells where to get it "under the table" on a forum is pretty retarded..

"hey there is a shop that will break the law for you, here are his contact details" lol

cops like to read forums too you know. i don't know any anyways.

goodluck. just take everything off and put it back on.
a) if it's tuned properly with OEM CATS it "may" pass the sniffer part only.
b) It will "not" pass a visual , unless you find a blind inspector.
c) To ever pass, the Greddy system will need a CARB EO#. I wouldn't hold may breath for that, since Greddy has been absolutely "non committed" to obtainnig one even if they could.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

It WILL pass visual inspection, as long as a BOV device is not visible. They check to make sure that all of the emmissions devices are present...and with the Greddy kit...they are.

With cats, it will pass the sniffer test. It's a coin toss. If the inspector knows you have a turbo...he will likely deny it...but you never know. The Greddy kit is pretty stealthly..you cant even see the turbos, or the manifolds....just tell him those are just air filters.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:18 AM
zparts

Originally posted by gq_626
It WILL pass visual inspection, as long as a BOV device is not visible. They check to make sure that all of the emmissions devices are present...and with the Greddy kit...they are.

With cats, it will pass the sniffer test. It's a coin toss. If the inspector knows you have a turbo...he will likely deny it...but you never know. The Greddy kit is pretty stealthly..you cant even see the turbos, or the manifolds....just tell him those are just air filters.

um....NO...You will fail and be flaged to go to a referee after you remove the kit. You will also be flagged to have to go to a SMOG only station for the life of the vehicle. I've seen it countless times.

That is unless the kit gets issued a CARB E.O. number.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:36 AM
G3po

Default stealthy

uh how can you "not" see that big ole FMIC?
The inspector would need to be blind ,amoron, bribed etc to not see that .
Old 10-07-2004, 12:04 PM
fernandito7

This is something that im worried about. I remember G3po saying that if one kit(JWT, APS etc) gets an EO number then u can use that number for the test. I mean the mechanic must really know the difference, physically, between a greddy kit and an APS kit in order to catch u. i hope that by the time i have to smog my car, there would be some way around it or find a someone who will smog it but not say anything about the visual inspection and give him a little something something.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:06 PM
fernandito7

Last time i heard, greddy was in the process of getting CARB certified. THey have gotten certified with their honda turbo kits.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:18 PM
importriders

Nope they will ask for the CARB EO number once they see an FI kit. Your best bet is to take it off(probably not gonna happen) or find a friend. Smog shops that will do it under the table are almost at the point of extinction. Unless you are in tight with the owner I doubt they will do it. At least thats how it is down here in San Diego. They have stings all the time and the shops have learned. My buddy worked for a smog shop here in SD and that was my hookup, but they got busted a couple of times and now they dont hook up anything.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:47 PM
G3po

Default CARB

Originally posted by fernandito7
This is something that im worried about. I remember G3po saying that if one kit(JWT, APS etc) gets an EO number then u can use that number for the test. I mean the mechanic must really know the difference, physically, between a greddy kit and an APS kit in order to catch u. i hope that by the time i have to smog my car, there would be some way around it or find a someone who will smog it but not say anything about the visual inspection and give him a little something something.
Shh.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by zparts
um....NO...You will fail and be flaged to go to a referee after you remove the kit. You will also be flagged to have to go to a SMOG only station for the life of the vehicle. I've seen it countless times.

That is unless the kit gets issued a CARB E.O. number.
Smog checks can be done at a regular mechanic's shop...right? As long as they are certificed to do smog checks. If so, why the heck would they screw with their business and **** of their customers by reporting you to the authorities?

Has this really happened to someone...for instance...taking their car to a goodyear tire center for a smog check?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:59 PM
G3po

Default CARB

Smog checks can be done at a regular mechanic's shop...right? As long as they are certificed to do smog checks. If so, why the heck would they screw with their business and **** of their customers by reporting you to the authorities?

Has this really happened to someone...for instance...taking their car to a goodyear tire center for a smog check?
As "hinted" before , if any of the TT kits , APS, JWT Greddy get an EO number the odds of getting a rig to pass are pretty high, unless you live in a town "crawling" with 350Z TTs and the stations are very wary or are **** p--cks. but then again It's just conjecture.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:10 PM
zparts

California requires you go to smog stations. You can be arrested, fined and have your smog license yanked if you "miss" that little twin turbo setup during visual inspection. And yes, California sets up vehicles to test smog stations. I would not chance it signing off a government document saying something passed inspection when it didn't.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:25 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

you can move to florida or cross your finger that the governator gets rid of carb like the rumours say he will.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:53 PM
SilverSellout

I think the simple fact that it comes with a pre-programmed Emanage is a good sign that they are going to try to get a CARB number for it.

It doesn't include a blow off valve does it? Has anyone ever seen a Greddy turbo kit with a CARB number that actually included a BOV? I never have.

The wastegates included are not adjustable, and they are setup to vent back into the exhaust system, instead of dumping out to atmosphere.

There have been rumors of the kit being tested for CARB certification. What all this means to me, is that the kit will eventually have a CARB number. Oh yeah, and if the governator did away with CARB, he would be my hero...

Oh yeah, almost forgot. In california, you can't get ANYTHING to pass smog with aftermarket parts unless those parts are CARB approved.

Last edited by SilverSellout; 10-07-2004 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Default Re: CARB

Originally posted by G3po
As "hinted" before , if any of the TT kits , APS, JWT Greddy get an EO number the odds of getting a rig to pass are pretty high, unless you live in a town "crawling" with 350Z TTs and the stations are very wary or are **** p--cks. but then again It's just conjecture.
Very good idea!

I am fearful that even with cats, a low compression ratio setup may not pass at all. Lower CR's dramatically increase tailpipe emmissions.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:57 AM
G3po

Default Re: Re: CARB

Very good idea!

I am fearful that even with cats, a low compression ratio setup may not pass at all. Lower CR's dramatically increase tailpipe emmissions.
Well at the low rpms and load that the sniiffer test is run, the ECU is operating in closed loop, so it can easily compensate for reduction in static CR. Were the main challenge lies is with the larger (>500cc) injectors, the resolution of the pulse duty cycles at low RPM are far less accurate than with an OEM size injector and spray pattern. So that is were the bigger challenge lies IMO. This is one area I may consider "mid size" injecotrs and a Rising rate >1:1 in order to meet the sniffer "with" the oem CATS.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:41 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

i want to see ITBs pass smog
Old 10-08-2004, 04:23 PM
calimarc

Default Re: Re: Re: CARB

Originally posted by G3po
Well at the low rpms and load that the sniiffer test is run, the ECU is operating in closed loop, so it can easily compensate for reduction in static CR. Were the main challenge lies is with the larger (>500cc) injectors, the resolution of the pulse duty cycles at low RPM are far less accurate than with an OEM size injector and spray pattern. So that is were the bigger challenge lies IMO. This is one area I may consider "mid size" injecotrs and a Rising rate >1:1 in order to meet the sniffer "with" the oem CATS.
So some of the kits ( APS, Greddy, JWT ) are seeking carb certification. Great. Assuming that your choice in turbo kit receives that carb certification...I'm thinking you would still need to build the motor for a reasonable safety margin? Your then left back at the start with the new internals creating new hurdles for the actual smog test to pass? All this is left me wondering if I should have done more homework.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:26 PM
ChrisMCagle

Ok, I have a question that is somewhat related to the topic. How do Stock turbo cars (300ZX, Evo VIII, etc) pass smog if they are turbo'd? Are they just set up differently than an aftermarket TT? I would eventually like to go SC or TT, but I don't want to hassle with uninstalling it every time I have to go for a smog check.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Will my Greddy TT pass smog?