Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

who's driven both supercharged and turboed Z's? comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 04:18 PM
DBZCat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default who's driven both supercharged and turboed Z's? comparisons

I would really like to hear some comparisons and reviews of people who have driven BOTH supercharged and turboed 350Z.

If you could list the kits you drove and just write how they compare to you would be great!

Thanks!

Daking350Z I know you are one of them!
Old 10-24-2004, 06:22 PM
aron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive SC Z, and the power is very linear, centrifugal type, all the power is up top. If u wanna be thrown back, no question, go turbo, up the boost, change the internals, have fun, drive it everyday, etc. etc. ect.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:39 AM
DBZCat

bump! no one has driven both!? c'mon
Old 10-25-2004, 08:10 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ut oh, what are you up to now.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:45 AM
DBZCat

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
ut oh, what are you up to now.
teehee

I will call you when i get my car back... still waiting!! it's going to be great though.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Z.Shifter

Hey cat2101,

Yea, ive been in both and im in the same position you are. I cant decide over turbo and s/c. Im looking at the single turbo from turbonetics or the vortech s/c with intercooler. Too me their both great but i cant pay for internals and deal with ALL that tuning, plus a cobra drove by me with its dam S/C and i almost pee'ed in my pants lol. Anyways ive been in the HKS S/C and its really quiet and its not that much of an eye catcher for the price.
I read a couple of your post and if you wanna go APS, better have some dough, i can get the vortech installed and tuned if you live in cali for 5500... for the aps its like 8k?!?! maybe 9. Too expensive for meeeeeeeeeeeee lol
Old 10-26-2004, 05:18 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Do some good headers and mild cams, and the S/C will be on par with even a custom TT setup (just speaking from rides received in a certain blue beast).
Old 10-26-2004, 06:20 AM
t32gzz

You are asking a question that will only give you biased answers. The price was originally alot more for a SC, but now you can pick up a Greddy TT with IC in the 5K neighborhood. A TT Z running 7.5 psi will be equivalent to a SC running 10 psi in a 1/4 mile. the difference is that the SC will give you an increasing pull to redline. A TT will pull from 2,500 rpm's and up at full boost.

If you have a built motor in your future, there is only one way to go......

You know my vote!
Old 10-26-2004, 06:56 AM
Enron Exec

Originally posted by t32gzz
You are asking a question that will only give you biased answers. The price was originally alot more for a SC, but now you can pick up a Greddy TT with IC in the 5K neighborhood. A TT Z running 7.5 psi will be equivalent to a SC running 10 psi in a 1/4 mile. the difference is that the SC will give you an increasing pull to redline. A TT will pull from 2,500 rpm's and up at full boost.

If you have a built motor in your future, there is only one way to go......

You know my vote!
I agree, the extra torque produced by TTs can be more easily handled by a built bottom end. Not to mention, it would be more streetable having a boost controller to calm the 600 rwhp beast when its not called upon.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:21 AM
fluidz

Turbo is the "BEST" forced induction money can buy period. You can't compare a centrifical SC to a Turbo.........the only SC that kinda compares to a turbo is a ROOTS type SC.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:39 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know where I stand.

*whispers Garrett Turbos
Old 10-28-2004, 02:11 AM
baptist

I have the Vortech and love the kit, but I would prefer turbo's, its all a matter of expense, turbos are without doubt more expensive, and if your doing it properly need the internals in my opinion.
How deep is your pocket?
Old 10-28-2004, 04:50 AM
ZZZ-35

Go APS its worth every cent, I've had it installed about four weeks ago on stock internals and it's producing around 400rwhp, its awesome to drive, I belive APS have addressed all the problems that all other kits have and all in this one high quality complete kit. Their test car has been throught hell and back and still in one piece running boost pressues as high as 12psi but mostly at 9psi and all on a stock motor, good engineering and design don't come cheap but in the long run I belive it works out cheaper.

David
Old 10-28-2004, 10:53 AM
daddyz

How far are you? I live in Fort Worth if you want a ride in a s/c Z! That might help.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:54 AM
ChromiumBlue

I'm definitely going with the APS TT when the kit comes out for the G, I live in Houston and am about 30 miles from SGP Racing, they're a pretty good company and can probably hook me up with adequate tuning.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:58 PM
cnile51

I have sc z, have been in a turbo z, adn daily drive my sr20det swapped 200sx w/ hotshot racing t28b turbo upgrades. Let me tell you this in my opinion. Turbo lag does suck...... but when it kicks in theres nothing like it...... My turbo requires more maintanence with higher boost....(generally stay around 9 psi street)....I' heard that daily driving a turbo setup is not as reliable as a sc setup...... My sc z.... Powers there always....Not as easy to tune as a turbo (adjusting boost) because you need pulleys and such....Pretty much for now just as quick as my turbo...
But I know that my turbo setup has more potential or is easier to tune and boost higher.....
The only real way you'll know is by driving both setups.... I love em both for different reasons
Old 10-28-2004, 04:54 PM
ZZZ-35

What turbo lag there's non with the APS TT setup for the 350Z that maybe the case for the sr20det but not for the VQ motor, plus the water and oil cooled double ball bearing Garrett turbo's that APS uses are the best technology money can buy and should be very reliable as a daily drive even up to 9psi or even 10 to 12 with forged conrods.

David
Old 10-28-2004, 04:56 PM
DBZCat

well I have driven TT before, my old car had them. I have never driven a supercharged car, so i would just like to compare them. I of course love turboes, but then again, have never really dealt with a supercharger.

I just want to feel the difference or, maybe distinguish one for what i really want.

Thanks for the replys!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:04 PM
richsrq

I have had both on my car. I have a G35 and not a Z.I started with a supercharger(ATI) and now I have the Greddy TT. I love the greddy so much better. TT all the way
Old 10-28-2004, 06:39 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by ChromiumBlue
I'm definitely going with the APS TT when the kit comes out for the G, I live in Houston and am about 30 miles from SGP Racing, they're a pretty good company and can probably hook me up with adequate tuning.
Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about the guys from SGP and it would be excellent if these guys come on board and become an APS Twin Turbo system dealer.

Peter

APS

Quick Reply: who's driven both supercharged and turboed Z's? comparisons