Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 07:45 PM
nexstage350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

I was thinking about the new HKS charger and wondering if it is even worth it? Is there anyone out there that has this new SC? if so, how is it? has anyone drove a Z with the new HKS SC? I've always like HKS, but man for the price they are asking for, is it worth da $$$? please help? thanks
Old 10-31-2004, 09:22 PM
narkotic

Tons of info here
Old 11-01-2004, 05:11 AM
ttsupra94

I can't see myself paying that much for the HKs when there are plenty of other cheaper, quality options. I would most like buy vortech
Old 11-01-2004, 06:41 AM
nexstage350

Originally posted by narkotic
Tons of info here
hey thanks for your response. how is your vortech SC? is it worth the $$? i am just doing a lil research to see if it is worth getting a SC or TT. thanks again
Old 11-01-2004, 07:11 AM
turbogsr10

I love my vortech. It's great. I can't see paying that much for the HKS either. I haven't seen very impressive numbers from the HKS either. But it is HKS. I guess it's just cool.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

I'd go with HKS, which is hardly any more than vortech. You can find the hKS one for the mis to high 5k range. The Vortech charger is nice, but isn't as realiable as the HKS. The actual design of the Vortech charger itself is not as good as HKS. Not saying vortech is bad, it's not, it's a very good kit, and for MOST people it's reliable. But the HKS is a failsafe kit. The welds, piping, fitment, etc. on the HKS is WAY better than the vortech. I was not impressed with the vortech kit, fitment is not clean, as you have to grind a few things, and it doesn't run it's own independant oiling system. Plus I would trust the HKS electric FMU system any day over a vortech FMU which is boost driven.
We sell both kits at my work, and we've sold two HKS kits, and only one of the vortech.

If you want fitment, quality, and durability, you'll spend the extra and go with HKS. The price is not that much higher and for that kind of quality, i'm surprised LOTS of people skimp and go with vortech. to me it's kind of settling for less. But to each his/her own.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Oh, and as far as power goes, the HKS is pretty close to vortech.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:28 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by nosaccordh22
I'd go with HKS, which is hardly any more than vortech. You can find the hKS one for the mis to high 5k range. The Vortech charger is nice, but isn't as realiable as the HKS. The actual design of the Vortech charger itself is not as good as HKS. Not saying vortech is bad, it's not, it's a very good kit, and for MOST people it's reliable. But the HKS is a failsafe kit. The welds, piping, fitment, etc. on the HKS is WAY better than the vortech. I was not impressed with the vortech kit, fitment is not clean, as you have to grind a few things, and it doesn't run it's own independant oiling system. Plus I would trust the HKS electric FMU system any day over a vortech FMU which is boost driven.
We sell both kits at my work, and we've sold two HKS kits, and only one of the vortech.

If you want fitment, quality, and durability, you'll spend the extra and go with HKS. The price is not that much higher and for that kind of quality, i'm surprised LOTS of people skimp and go with vortech. to me it's kind of settling for less. But to each his/her own.
How can you say its more reliable ? There has only been one or two of these kits put on as of now .As far as power for the money....HKS doesnt come close...and the Vortech can be up graded for more power...can the HKS ?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:31 AM
King Tut

HKS is only about $1500 more than the Vortech setup, but I don't like the additional injectors in the HKS, and I love the Split Second box that comes with the Vortech for tuning.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:31 AM
nexstage350

Originally posted by turbogsr10
I love my vortech. It's great. I can't see paying that much for the HKS either. I haven't seen very impressive numbers from the HKS either. But it is HKS. I guess it's just cool.
thanks for the response, question about ur vortech, does it come with BOV? does the BOV make the same noise as a turbo?i am also considering the vortech. it seems to have more bang for da buck. thanks again for your resonse
Old 11-01-2004, 09:40 AM
PumpedVA

I sould be getting my car back tonight and will let you know my thoughts about the HKS.

By the way I got my kits for $5180 shipped so I dont thinks that is much more than a vortech
Old 11-01-2004, 11:39 AM
homiusang

[i]By the way I got my kits for $5180 shipped so I dont thinks that is much more than a vortech [/B]
Man that's a pretty good price, do you mind telling me who did you get the kit from?

Oh yeah don't forget to write us a review after you got it back
Old 11-01-2004, 11:45 AM
kzshin

I will get HKS any day over Vortechs too.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:46 AM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by homiusang
Man that's a pretty good price, do you mind telling me who did you get the kit from?

Oh yeah don't forget to write us a review after you got it back

http://350zonlinestore.com/
Old 11-01-2004, 12:42 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

moved
Old 11-01-2004, 01:15 PM
More Power

How would all of you compare the HKS supercharger price and performance (considering what we know now which is sketchy) to the Turbonetics single turbo if the price of the Turbonetics comes in as being kicked around at $4000 to $4500? I know that long term reliability with the 350Z is not known because both of these kits are brand new. But how would you compare them considering what we know now? Concept, engineering, and ergonomics. For instance, I just wonder if the Turbonetics ECU reflash is nearly as good as the piggyback HKS engine management setup? Like with timing retard issues. Whatcha think? I think both kits show a LOT of promise that I hope pans out to give us great choices.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Speedracer

Default Re: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

Originally posted by nexstage350
I was thinking about the new HKS charger and wondering if it is even worth it? Is there anyone out there that has this new SC? if so, how is it? has anyone drove a Z with the new HKS SC? I've always like HKS, but man for the price they are asking for, is it worth da $$$? please help? thanks
I have the HKS supercharger. It drives beautifully. I must note that I had a problem initially with a defective supercharger unit, but that is a long and different story. Once the problem was found and remedied, the system ran incredibly. This is not a system that serves as a base for a mega-power build-up. It is an "out of the box" kit that comes fully tuned. It is not meant to be further modified in any way. It provides you with a very fast car but still within the tolerances of the stock internals. It is, in my opinion, a perfect set-up for the street. My car dyno'd at 326rwhp/325rwtorque. Too many people are simply concerned with the absolute amount of power. That is not what this system is about. It is about combining a moderate power bump with, smoothness, real world drivability and emssions compatibility. Still 400 crank hp ain't slow!!! Believe me!!! Keep in mind that much more power will require an engine rebuild to insure reliability. I wouldn't want much more power without an engine build.

The auxillary fueling system leaves the stock engine management and fuel systems functioning completely normally. A seperate sensor detects manifold pressure and, via the plug and play F-CON computer, activates the auxillary injectors accordingly when boost is detected. The stock fuel/engine management just acts as if the car is running at WOT on a N/A motor since the MAF sensor is located pre-supercharger. All this integration happens seamlessly without ANY hint of hesitation or transition between systems. This is where HKS will dominate over others: in the all important engine management department.

Besides that, the quality of the components is absolutely top notch and no little detail has been overlooked. Everything fits perfectly and neatly.

The only real downside is the installation instructions that come with the kit. While very complete, it is poorly organized and will send the first time installer on a bit of a goose chase around the car. Still, if you know this motor, it isn't much of a problem.

Like anything else, quality costs, and in the end you get what you pay for. The big selling point should really be HKS's expertise inthe area of engine management. You should also be able to get it for considerably less that retail.

Last edited by Speedracer; 11-01-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:52 PM
gladz

Default Re: Re: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

Originally posted by Speedracer
I have the HKS supercharger. It drives beautifully. I must note that I had a problem initially with a defective supercharger unit, but that is a long and different story. Once the problem was found and remedied, the system ran incredibly. This is not a system that serves as a base for a mega-power build-up. It is an "out of the box" kit that comes fully tuned. It is not meant to be further modified in any way. It provides you with a very fast car but still within the tolerances of the stock internals. It is, in my opinion, a perfect set-up for the street. My car dyno'd at 326rwhp/325rwtorque. Too many people are simply concerned with the absolute amount of power. That is not what this system is about. It is about combining a moderate power bump with, smoothness, real world drivability and emssions compatibility. Still 400 crank hp ain't slow!!! Believe me!!! Keep in mind that much more power will require an engine rebuild to insure reliability. I wouldn't want much more power without an engine build.

The auxillary fueling system leaves the stock engine management and fuel systems functioning completely normally. A seperate sensor detects manifold pressure and, via the plug and play F-CON computer, activates the auxillary injectors accordingly when boost is detected. The stock fuel/engine management just acts as if the car is running at WOT on a N/A motor since the MAF sensor is located pre-supercharger. All this integration happens seamlessly without ANY hint of hesitation or transition between systems. This is where HKS will dominate over others: in the all important engine management department.

Besides that, the quality of the components is absolutely top notch and no little detail has been overlooked. Everything fits perfectly and neatly.

The only real downside is the installation instructions that come with the kit. While very complete, it is poorly organized and will send the first time installer on a bit of a goose chase around the car. Still, if you know this motor, it isn't much of a problem.

Like anything else, quality costs, and in the end you get what you pay for. The big selling point should really be HKS's expertise inthe area of engine management. You should also be able to get it for considerably less that retail.
Speedracer,

Did you decide on a new clutch yet? How is the stock clutch holding up?
Old 11-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Speedracer

Default Re: Re: Re: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

Originally posted by gladz
Speedracer,

Did you decide on a new clutch yet? How is the stock clutch holding up?
The stock clutch does fine most of the time. It definitely slips at high rpm on hard launches. I'll probably wait until late winter to upgrade since the car will be going into winter storage after a few more weeks. I'll probably go with clutchmaster 3 at this point....but that could change. I'll be doing Stoptechs at all four corners this winter as well.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:08 PM
xziteme

Any news on CARB approval?

Quick Reply: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??