Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

19" or 20" Rims For G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Razorx35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 20's on my car without a drop is just fine. Most of the time people ask if it is dropped just because the 20's fill in the wheel wells so well. As far as performance, like others have said, I don't have any problems with too many other cars on the road. As long as I'm staying in my group (no corvettes or anything). And the handling isn't too bad as long as I'm not pushing too hard into the turns. With the Hotchkis sways, I get a little understeer if I'm going to fast. But I have been driving faster since I've done some of my mods any way. LIke Eagle1 said, it's all personal preference. And with the stock suspension, the ride is still very nice.

Later,

Ray
Old 12-14-2004, 08:31 AM
Cactus

Are there any 19's that with tires would be the same weight as the 18's with tires?
Old 12-14-2004, 09:36 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally posted by Cactus
Are there any 19's that with tires would be the same weight as the 18's with tires?
yes, it all depends on the profile you go with. My 20's were not to much taller than my stock 18's. its just a combo of width and the profile yo go with, which will determine the height.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Brando

Originally posted by NismoGCoupe
yes, it all depends on the profile you go with. My 20's were not to much taller than my stock 18's. its just a combo of width and the profile yo go with, which will determine the height.
He said "WEIGHT" not height!
and I don't think so.....unless you paid really big bucks for some super lightweight magnesium or some such.
Most 20" wheels with tires are a bit heavy.
And if you keep the same rolling diameter as stock with your aspect ratio.....I don't see how 20" would fill up the fender well any better than the stock 18"?????? The wheels just look huge with band aid tires.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:21 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally posted by oldvfrguy
He said "WEIGHT" not height!
I just noticed that, ignore that post im an idiot. Now to answer the original question, yes you can, take for example the new 19's on the g35 are lighter than the old 18's. It all depends on what wheels your comparing. Another example could be a 19" one peice forged aluminum wheel can be lighter than a 18" 3 pc aluminum wheel. Comparing a 18" or 19" of the same wheel the 18" will always be lighter.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Brando

Originally posted by NismoGCoupe
I just noticed that, ignore that post im an idiot. Now to answer the original question, yes you can, take for example the new 19's on the g35 are lighter than the old 18's. It all depends on what wheels your comparing. Another example could be a 19" one peice forged aluminum wheel can be lighter than a 18" 3 pc aluminum wheel. Comparing a 18" or 19" of the same wheel the 18" will always be lighter.
No idiots here....you just read it wrong.
Yeah...ok.....you are talking 18's vs 19's.....but he's comparing 20"
Find me a 20" wheel & tire combo that weighs anywhere close to my 18" Volks and Toyo T1-s.
Adding unsprung weight for looks just doesn't cut it for me. I like to actually drive the car....HARD.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:33 PM
neffster

Yeah...ok.....you are talking 18's vs 19's.....but he's comparing 20" ...
No he said...
The correct answer would be YES! The lightest 19" wheel that I know of (and like the look of) is the BBS-RGR. They heavier rears weigh in at under 20lbs w/o tires. Add a set of Toyo's and you'll be under 50 lbs. in the back and about 1.5-2.0 lbs. lighter in the front.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Brando

Dooooh!

Thanks for the help "Deer Killer"
At least I finally got my springs installed.......
Old 12-14-2004, 02:06 PM
neffster

Dooooh!

Thanks for the help "Deer Killer"
At least I finally got my springs installed.......
What took you so long to get those springs on? ...

-Rudolph Slayer
Old 12-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Brando

Bambi Basher....
You don't even want to know!!!
I ordered them for RevHigh.....waited 5 weeks because of the SEMA show.....and finally received the WRONG ONES! (G not Z)
Couldn't find any in stock.....bla....bla...bla...
But now they are on ...and I am happy.
"Neffster Stylin" (minus the Deer Dent)

Sorry for the Hijacked thread.......
Old 12-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Cactus

Thanks for the info guys! Hey Neffster the deer molester! By any chance did you compare the weights of the Piaa's with tires to the stocks with tires?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:40 PM
SponGer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Eagle1
The issue is a totally personal one, as the posts above reflect. Not a "wrong" or "right" choice, just his choice.
The important thing is to know what it means and why, so that he can be completely satisfied that for HIM it is the way he really wants to go.

The compromise of looks versus performance is very straightforward. He subjectively knows what he thinks he likes in appearance, so that part is easy for him. Now the issue turns to the question of "at what cost in performance, and does it matter to him?".

The larger the rim size you go above 17", which is perhaps the ideal for performance on this car if you are going to the track, or seek smooth comfortable cruising on the street, the more you are going to have to consider the impact on ride quality, noise, acceleration and handling.

The sidewall on the stock 18" that he has with his package, which is considered a stylish rim syze and a large one, is a 45 aspect with tread widths of 225F/245R. You go to 35-40 aspect on the 19" wheel depending on treadwidth (275 rear will be 35 aspect), and on the 20's you go to 30 aspect ratio, possibly even 25. With so little sidewall, because you are attempting to maintain the same overall tire and wheel diameter with "plus" sizing, you have not only a significantly increased risk of rim damage or scuffing/rash, but you must maintain good tire pressures trending to firmer rather than softer ride. This heightens felt road bumps. The wider tread imparts more road vibration, and increases noise as well. This is not just theoretical, you will definitely feel it and so will your passengers.

The heavier rims and tires impact your acceleration (and braking) negatively because there is more inertial mass to rotate. Furthermore, the weight is further out from the center hub, and that magnifies the impact more than just the consideration of increased weight alone...it is where the weight is that really influences the performance here. In general unsprung weight is something to shed, not add, if possible, with the impact being a multiple of the pounds in comparison to chassis weight changes. (This can be debated, but a 4 to 1 ratio is often thrown out to illustrate the magnitude. So if you put on roughly four pounds a corner with 20"s, or 16 pounds in unsprung weight over the comparable 18"s, it is like tossing 64 pounds of sand in the trunk.
And you will notice the handling for "turn in" response on cornering as well, it will not be as quick or crisp. You can get too narrow in sidewall for performance driving, and while tire side "rollover" is something that we all appreciate will negatively impact handling when it is too great, it can also have adverse results when it is too stiff, and you can get skip-chatter like a go-kart rather than cornering "bite"........and a tire chatter-rattling slide in a corner is not a fun thing....so you will have to back off cornering aggressiveness relative to what you might do in 18"s for example.

Let us emphasize this in a separate paragraph...tires may be the single most important aspect of handling, performance and safety that you have on a car. Those four little contact patches are the only thing that connect you to the road, and all that nice engineering is directed to putting power to the road through them. Tires accelerate you, turn you, and yes they stop you (bet you thought it was the brakes!). Break grip with the surface, and you are potentially skating on blacktop as awkwardly as a moose on a frozen lake. Therefore, this is not just an issue of looks and who cares about a few ticks off on performance relative to a Honda.

You should look into what this proposed mod does to the handling of the car in dry and wet conditions (the wider tire is going to be a potentially more difficult slide concern in wet weather) as well, as your primary investigation with priority over looks. Truly, this is not casual when you go to 20". It looks a lot different....it IS a lot different too.

Now, if you like the look, and the performance difference is not of materiality to you, and you are aware of the handling compromise so that you drive the set up safely, sure this is a good trade. To understand the difference, get a ride, or better yet a short drive, with somebody that has a comparable set up to what you are thinking about. You may take the ride and conclude "hey, what is the fuss all about, this feels and sounds fine!" You may also conclude "yikes, this feels terrible I have got to reconsider how to balance out looks with performance and ride". That is important to do before you lay out your precious green bills on wheels and rubber.

Good luck, and enjoy your car!
Eagle 1, good write-up. BTW, can you post pics of your G with the Saruwatari wheels?
Old 12-15-2004, 05:55 AM
NismoGCoupe

Yeah...ok.....you are talking 18's vs 19's.....but he's comparing 20"
I guess you didnt read it right either

Adding unsprung weight for looks just doesn't cut it for me. I like to actually drive the car....HARD.
FI will take care of that problem for me........hopefully soon
Old 12-15-2004, 06:22 AM
omarv6

what i say for show u can get the 20" but for go keep the stocks and rap them with nittos555R an we are ok.
performance of my car is not bad at all ....but still the stocks perform much better .
i say get the 20's and keep ur stocks !
Old 12-15-2004, 09:07 AM
Cactus

Anyone have pix with the 19 inch RGR's? I know someone has the 18's but I have already seen that one and I like the 19's best!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:42 PM
neffster

Thanks for the info guys! Hey Neffster the deer molester! By any chance did you compare the weights of the PIAA’s with tires to the stocks with tires?
Here's what I can tell you...

Front: A new PIAA Super Rozza 19x9.0 with a Toyo T1-S, size 255/35/19 weighs a total of 51.5 lbs.

Rear: A new PIAA Super Rozza 19x10.0 with a Toyo T1-S, size 275/35/19 weighs a total of 54.5 lbs.

The tires alone weigh 24.0 lbs and 27.8 lbs respectively, according to the toyo.com website. This means that the front rim weighs 27.5 lbs and the rear rim weighs 26.7 lbs. At first I thought this had to be wrong since the rear wheel is wider than the front wheel, but after thinking about it for a minute I realized that the offsets actually have something to do with the wheel weight. The front wheels have the SAME offset as the rears, causing the front wheel to have to be heavier. (The lugs on the front wheel are recessed about 1" into the rim). This means that the front wheel has to have a thick hub to accommodate the aggressive offset, making it heavier than the rear.

I hope this helps...
Old 12-15-2004, 04:35 PM
maxG's

Originally posted by Sam56n
everytime eagle1 posts on performance, i print it out and out it on my walls for further references

thumbs up
and so do I

two thumbs up!
Old 12-19-2004, 07:40 PM
thebigsadler

so many people are concerned with losing handling and performance when going 20's but when do most of you go to the track? i guarrantee my car didn't lose a lot of handling with the 20's because i have jic coilovers and a completely adjustable camber kit.

18's and most 19's look small on the g35, 20's are definitely the perfect size especially if you do a big lip. just don't go and buy some 20" chrome knock-off ebay wheels and you will be fine.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:10 PM
SooMighty

Originally posted by thebigsadler
so many people are concerned with losing handling and performance when going 20's but when do most of you go to the track? i guarrantee my car didn't lose a lot of handling with the 20's because i have jic coilovers and a completely adjustable camber kit.

18's and most 19's look small on the g35, 20's are definitely the perfect size especially if you do a big lip. just don't go and buy some 20" chrome knock-off ebay wheels and you will be fine.
I dont think 20"s are the perfect size for the G35C. Maybe for some people. And I definetely dont think the 18"s or 19"s look small on the G. Maybe after having 20"s on your car hehe. I think 20"s dont look that good on a G. Its too big. Ive seen only a couple 20"s that looked good on a G for some reason. And you do lose performance with 20"s on your ride. You dont have to be on a track to know that. Theres a reason why companies like Mercedez and Porsche dont make rims in 20"s. 19"s are ideal Id say.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:09 AM
thebigsadler

Originally posted by SooMighty
I dont think 20"s are the perfect size for the G35C. Maybe for some people. And I definetely dont think the 18"s or 19"s look small on the G. Maybe after having 20"s on your car hehe. I think 20"s dont look that good on a G. Its too big. Ive seen only a couple 20"s that looked good on a G for some reason. And you do lose performance with 20"s on your ride. You dont have to be on a track to know that. Theres a reason why companies like Mercedez and Porsche dont make rims in 20"s. 19"s are ideal Id say.
right.. just slapping 20s on is going to lose handling, but using some good suspension parts along with some decent tires and you aren't going to be that far behind.

i dont want to mislead anyone.. im not talking about "bling bling 20" spinners," i am talking about some nice 2 and 3 piece wheels, staggered with a nice lip setup.

Quick Reply: 19" or 20" Rims For G35 Coupe