Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

19" or 20" Rims For G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:51 PM
SooMighty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19" or 20" Rims For G35 Coupe

Hi Im new to the forum, and a new owner of a G35 Coupe. The only modification I want to make to the car are rims. And Ive been looking hard for some 19"s and 20"s. I dont plan on lowering my car before, nor after getting rims. I was almost set on buying the TSW Thruxtons after I saw them on the same color G as mine (diamond graphite) at a dealership. They looked real nice in person, but a friend suggested that I shouldnt get them unless I was going for a quick fix. I mean, the deal on the Thruxton's were a set of 20" rims with Nitto tires for $2150. Which was a price I liked. But after talking to my friend about it, I've decided to get more respectable rims. I mean, I am driving a near 40k car. Some of the top companies I know of are ones such as Racing Harts, Volk, 5zigen, Gram Lights, ect. So basically Im looking for once in a lifetime deals on rims (and tires if possible, if not thats fine). But Ive been told those are virtually impossible to find for new rims. So Im looking for used rims that are in good condition. Im illiterate when it comes to rims and such. All I know is that Im looking for 19" or 20" rims with a nice sized lip. Im not sure what the offset is on my car, but I drive an 04 Coupe with Premium and Sports package. If I can find the specific info on the offset, I will post it

so anyone know of anyone selling some nice 19" or 20" rims (preferably gunmetal, but Im open to all colors) help a fella out please! Im a college student and dont got 3k-4k to spend on rims! thanks

ps: are 20"s ok for the G?

Last edited by SooMighty; 12-06-2004 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:53 PM
SooMighty

actually Im only looking for 20"s hehe. They look so clean on the G. Someone please sell me some nice 20"s. thanks fellas!
Old 12-06-2004, 10:32 PM
damen

i may be able to get you a deal on some iforged custom wheels. i'll have to make a phone call. i'll check tomorrow. the wheels will be at least $2100 and you will have to get your own tires. the wheels will be new though.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:11 AM
AxionF117

You have just about ZERO tire choices, and they will really affect your performance and handling when you run a tiny *** sidewall on your car. Max you should go is with a 19" rim, get a big *** lip on it and most people will thing they are 20's anyway.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Cactus

Sorry to say it but it will look like a jeep with 20's and stock ride height!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:59 AM
omarv6

I am running on 20" Lowenhart LD5's 9" front and 11" in the back on P ZEROS on my Z .
I must say the looks are just perfict ... the car is a head turner more than befor....but the thing i dont like is u lose performance (not traction )....but look at the bright side ...stockes are there if a track day in mind
So what do u guys think .
Attached Thumbnails 19" or 20" Rims For G35 Coupe-maz.jpg  

Last edited by omarv6; 12-07-2004 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:10 AM
omarv6

Ya i forgot to say i have an ebach pro kit 1" drop
Attached Thumbnails 19" or 20" Rims For G35 Coupe-maz1.jpg  
Old 12-07-2004, 08:25 AM
vegaseric

Originally posted by omarv6
Ya i forgot to say i have an ebach pro kit 1" drop
I'm not into chrome, but those rims look good on your ride. The drop definitely makes it though. 20s with no drop will look kinda bad. If your not going to drop it, get some 19s.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:16 AM
omarv6

well am not into chrome too...i waned to paint it black from the mid but it just looked good so i kept it

Last edited by omarv6; 12-07-2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Brando

Thumbs down

Well you asked........
I personally would never consider putting 20" wheels on a small car like the Z or G.
If all you want people to notice is ...WOW look at those big azz wheels....great. But I think the car looks too good to do that to it.
I also am not into sacrificing performance for just looks.
20" wheels and tires are HEAVY! Especially in the price range you want to spend. (Get some Volk 19's).
Your acceleration will suck and Hondas will be spanking you. LOL
Just my opinion..and you know what they say.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:14 PM
moog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Cactus
That is a big negative. I have a 1.5 finger gap F&R on stock springs/shocks.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:07 PM
damen

Originally posted by Cactus
my car looks just fine with 20's on it at stock height.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:32 PM
NismoGCoupe

Originally posted by oldvfrguy
Well you asked........
I personally would never consider putting 20" wheels on a small car like the Z or G.
If all you want people to notice is ...WOW look at those big azz wheels....great. But I think the car looks too good to do that to it.
I also am not into sacrificing performance for just looks.
20" wheels and tires are HEAVY! Especially in the price range you want to spend. (Get some Volk 19's).
Your acceleration will suck and Hondas will be spanking you. LOL
Just my opinion..and you know what they say.
I still beat hondas, acura's, rx-8's, 3 series, wrx's etc. and still kept up with modded 350z's and srt4's with the 20's on so I cant complain.

If your not willing to sacrafice performance for looks then 19's wouldn't be a good choice either, you should be thinking about 18's or mabe even 17's

and for the everyone with 20's you need a drop the car looks like its ready for off-roading without one
Old 12-07-2004, 10:28 PM
damen

maybe in your opinion but, remember you bought my rims and i didn't lower my car.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:34 AM
AxionF117

you shouldn't just be concerned with acceleration loss as you should be about the handling your car is gonna lose.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Brando

If your not willing to sacrafice performance for looks then 19's wouldn't be a good choice either, you should be thinking about 18's or mabe even 17's

and for the everyone with 20's you need a drop the car looks like its ready for off-roading without one [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually you are accidently correct.
I did go with 18" Volk GTU's.
I have a ton of tires to select from, comfortable ride and great handleing.
If everyone like the same things and was worried about what the other guy has....it would be a boring world.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:17 AM
deviant1

Any pics of these on your car? I was thinking of getting these but haven't seen any pics on a G35/350Z yet anywhere.

Originally posted by oldvfrguy

and for the everyone with 20's you need a drop the car looks like its ready for off-roading without one

Actually you are accidently correct.
I did go with 18" Volk GTU's.
I have a ton of tires to select from, comfortable ride and great handleing.
If everyone like the same things and was worried about what the other guy has....it would be a boring world.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:48 AM
StarcraftBW

yeah 20",it's good for looking but it's gonna slow you down as bad as the handling is gonna bother you. Good luck bros
Old 12-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue is a totally personal one, as the posts above reflect. Not a "wrong" or "right" choice, just his choice.
The important thing is to know what it means and why, so that he can be completely satisfied that for HIM it is the way he really wants to go.

The compromise of looks versus performance is very straightforward. He subjectively knows what he thinks he likes in appearance, so that part is easy for him. Now the issue turns to the question of "at what cost in performance, and does it matter to him?".

The larger the rim size you go above 17", which is perhaps the ideal for performance on this car if you are going to the track, or seek smooth comfortable cruising on the street, the more you are going to have to consider the impact on ride quality, noise, acceleration and handling.

The sidewall on the stock 18" that he has with his package, which is considered a stylish rim syze and a large one, is a 45 aspect with tread widths of 225F/245R. You go to 35-40 aspect on the 19" wheel depending on treadwidth (275 rear will be 35 aspect), and on the 20's you go to 30 aspect ratio, possibly even 25. With so little sidewall, because you are attempting to maintain the same overall tire and wheel diameter with "plus" sizing, you have not only a significantly increased risk of rim damage or scuffing/rash, but you must maintain good tire pressures trending to firmer rather than softer ride. This heightens felt road bumps. The wider tread imparts more road vibration, and increases noise as well. This is not just theoretical, you will definitely feel it and so will your passengers.

The heavier rims and tires impact your acceleration (and braking) negatively because there is more inertial mass to rotate. Furthermore, the weight is further out from the center hub, and that magnifies the impact more than just the consideration of increased weight alone...it is where the weight is that really influences the performance here. In general unsprung weight is something to shed, not add, if possible, with the impact being a multiple of the pounds in comparison to chassis weight changes. (This can be debated, but a 4 to 1 ratio is often thrown out to illustrate the magnitude. So if you put on roughly four pounds a corner with 20"s, or 16 pounds in unsprung weight over the comparable 18"s, it is like tossing 64 pounds of sand in the trunk.
And you will notice the handling for "turn in" response on cornering as well, it will not be as quick or crisp. You can get too narrow in sidewall for performance driving, and while tire side "rollover" is something that we all appreciate will negatively impact handling when it is too great, it can also have adverse results when it is too stiff, and you can get skip-chatter like a go-kart rather than cornering "bite"........and a tire chatter-rattling slide in a corner is not a fun thing....so you will have to back off cornering aggressiveness relative to what you might do in 18"s for example.

Let us emphasize this in a separate paragraph...tires may be the single most important aspect of handling, performance and safety that you have on a car. Those four little contact patches are the only thing that connect you to the road, and all that nice engineering is directed to putting power to the road through them. Tires accelerate you, turn you, and yes they stop you (bet you thought it was the brakes!). Break grip with the surface, and you are potentially skating on blacktop as awkwardly as a moose on a frozen lake. Therefore, this is not just an issue of looks and who cares about a few ticks off on performance relative to a Honda.

You should look into what this proposed mod does to the handling of the car in dry and wet conditions (the wider tire is going to be a potentially more difficult slide concern in wet weather) as well, as your primary investigation with priority over looks. Truly, this is not casual when you go to 20". It looks a lot different....it IS a lot different too.

Now, if you like the look, and the performance difference is not of materiality to you, and you are aware of the handling compromise so that you drive the set up safely, sure this is a good trade. To understand the difference, get a ride, or better yet a short drive, with somebody that has a comparable set up to what you are thinking about. You may take the ride and conclude "hey, what is the fuss all about, this feels and sounds fine!" You may also conclude "yikes, this feels terrible I have got to reconsider how to balance out looks with performance and ride". That is important to do before you lay out your precious green bills on wheels and rubber.

Good luck, and enjoy your car!
Old 12-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Sam56n

everytime eagle1 posts on performance, i print it out and out it on my walls for further references

thumbs up

Quick Reply: 19" or 20" Rims For G35 Coupe