Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Plenum and Spacer options ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Chico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
There is also the new line of Motordyne Iso Thermal Plenum spacers.

The new Iso Thermal plenum spacer system combines our aluminum spacer with additional thermal management components that substantially reduce upper and lower plenum temperatures. Cooler intake air temperatures increase air density, reduce the tendency for detonation (ping) and that increases engine power on and off the track.

The Motordyne Iso Thermal (MIT) thermal management components reduce plenum temperatures 36°F - 81°F from baseline. In other words, it takes the plenum from burning hot to just barely warm.

1) The first component is an Aramid thermal isolating gasket that is installed between the lower plenum and intake manifold. This particular material was selected for its unique ability to insulate, its high heat tolerance (550°F) and its ability to resist degradation from oil and gasoline. Aramid’s ultra low thermal conductivity allows the gasket to be thin enough (1/16”) to retain use of 350Z’s strut bar or the G35’s engine cover when combined with the 5/16” plenum spacer.

The VQ35DE’s upper collector (plenum) is bolted to the lower collector (plenum) and the lower plenum is bolted to the intake manifold. The intake manifold is bolted to the hot engine heads and because the intake manifold is a thick-walled aluminum casting, it is very efficient in transferring heat from the heads to the entire upper and lower plenum assembly. And it all gets very hot!

Installing a Motordyne Iso Thermal™ Aramid gasket between the intake manifold and lower plenum, the heat transfer is significantly reduced and both the upper and lower plenum run much cooler.

2) The stock upper plenum uses heated engine coolant at 190°F-210°F+ to keep the throttle body heated. This is to prevent the throttle body from freezing during cold weather operation. While this is necessary for cold weather driving, it continuously transfers a great deal of heat into the upper plenum even when it is not needed. The Motordyne Iso Thermal System incorporates a throttle body coolant control valve that allows the owner to heat (or not heat) the assembly. With local weather temperatures below 55’F the valve is left open. In warmer weather the valve can be closed for maximum performance benefits.

3) The third thermal management component is the new Iso Thermal plenum post spacers. The plenum post spacers are self retaining and self sealing. Their cupped design keeps them in place even if its respective bolt is removed from an installed plenum. They won't melt even at 450°F; which is far above the plenum’s operating temperature. And they have a very low thermal conductance so they don’t transfer heat.

A stand alone Motordyne Iso Thermal kit is available to previous Motordyne customers and even to those who have stock or other aftermarket plenums. It is the most comprehensive plenum thermal management system available. The upgrade will allow both the upper and lower plenum assembly to run much cooler.

Ok...Tony please level with me. This is too complicated and my head is spinning.

I bought the 5/16" spacer for my '05 AT Sedan and I love it. The performance gains are there and the sound of the engine compartment is beautiful.

What else can do or add to improve the performance even more? What is a good set up? BTW, since you mentioned climates I should mention that I live in Canada.

Thanks.

Chico
Old 09-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Right on Chico!

You can add the Iso Thermal kit and you definitly want to get the Copper throttle body heater too.

The Copper throttle body heater is definitly an advantage over the Coolant Control Valve when it gets cold outside. Not only because you don't have to adjust it based on outside temperatures (and you would be making a lot of them because you live in Canada) but also because your plenum will run cooler and the TB will remain heated. (It just means more power in cold weather.)
Old 09-18-2005, 09:29 AM
jnkirk1974

Three words for you:

Mo-tor-dyne!

I installed it last week. Go with the full 1/2" spacer and iso thermal gasket. It's the only way to go.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:01 AM
jasonsfa98

Since Chico asked ... I will too.

I live in Austin, Texas. It's only "cold" 3 months out of the year. We'll have a few days where it hits 25 degrees but our "winter" is usually 30's-40's.

I have the Injen CAI installed but have done nothing else. I don't feel the gains from the Injen until I hit 5000+ RPM. I'd like some more low end.

What do you suggest for me?
Old 09-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Chico

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Right on Chico!

You can add the Iso Thermal kit and you definitly want to get the Copper throttle body heater too.

The Copper throttle body heater is definitly an advantage over the Coolant Control Valve when it gets cold outside. Not only because you don't have to adjust it based on outside temperatures (and you would be making a lot of them because you live in Canada) but also because your plenum will run cooler and the TB will remain heated. (It just means more power in cold weather.)
Thanks Tony. You'll see my order soon.

One more question, in terms of HP gains...what can I expect by adding the above?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:40 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hydrazine,

How are the gains using your spacer on the new '05 "rev up" motors in the 6MT cars?

There have been various comments about the lack of gains from sapcers and plenums on these higher RPM engines.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Andrew Harper
'05 6MT Sedan
Old 09-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, the next issue of nissan sports mag has a plenum/spacer showdown in which he participated, and it seems he's waiting for that issue to come out before he talks openly about the results.