Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Bra for G35 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 08:36 AM
s14roller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bra for G35 coupe?

Has anyone had the leather bras for the g35 and how did you like it? I'm looking to buy one and just curious of the feedback. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Meatshackle

I use the Colgan on trips. Takes about 5 minutes to put on. When I get to where I'm going I wipe it down, fold it up and put it back in the box. Probably the best money I've spent on my car yet. That and the sunshade.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:20 PM
beastie

I use one I got from the dealer. I think it looks nice and protect my baby from all the bugs and rocks on the road. I take it off every other month for a wash and wax.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:35 PM
briphi

I never understood why anyone would put a bra on their car, I think they make your car look cheezy. MAYBE if you're driving a long distance and want to protect it just for that trip ok. but other than that, they just make it look horrible.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:47 PM
blueg35

My car came with a leather bra. And i still use it almost every week because i drive home on the weekends (150 miles one way). It is a good way to protect the car, but if u have the money for a clear bra u should definitely go with that. The leather one just looks ugly. Here is my car with it:

if u want to i can look into what brand is it, i'm kind of happy with it couz it takes me about 2 minutes to take it off and bout 5 to put it on. Howver one of the clip thingys that was getting attached to the hood broke a few weeks down, and one of the ones that holds to the bumper has somehow loosened ... but it still works ... i think the previous owners paid something like 150 for it or so.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:54 PM
beastie

Originally Posted by briphi
I never understood why anyone would put a bra on their car, I think they make your car look cheezy. MAYBE if you're driving a long distance and want to protect it just for that trip ok. but other than that, they just make it look horrible.
Wow thanks ! To each his own. I do make 600 mile trips once a month and my paint was chipping off. I happen to think the bra on my car looks good. Btw, didn't your mom tell you "if you can't say anything nice..."
Old 09-28-2005, 11:41 PM
ColdFusion

Originally Posted by briphi
I agree...thats why you get a clear bra
Old 09-29-2005, 08:01 AM
drummerboy

I have a bra for my Ivory G35, I live in an agricultural area here on the central coast of Calif. where there are heavy trucks traveling all over the place, the bra has served its purpose on many occasions. I do remove it from time to time for a proper cleaning but all in all I feel its a good investment.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:51 AM
briphi

The purpose of the bra is to protect your car from rock chips etc. You're protecting the area so that your car stays beautiful (no chips etc). But if no ones ever going to see the part of the car that you're protecting, then there's no point it protecting it- Why don't you just dip the whole car in a vat of rubber, because then the whole thing will be 'protected'.

You're attempt at protecting the car is only making it look stupid (while the bra is on), which is why i said for long trips I could see a use, but for the most part you're driving a G for it's beauty and performance. By Adding a leather bra I at least feel that you're subtracting from the beauty of your G.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:59 AM
beastie

This guy wanted to hear from people who had bras and how they liked them not from people who don't have them and don't like them. I would rather see a bra on my car than big chips or reb paint missing.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:04 AM
beastie

Originally Posted by ColdFusion
I agree...thats why you get a clear bra
I agree too. I like the clear bra. I had one on my last car (lexus) but it didn't cover enough area and you always get wax build up. I haven't looked into it for the G35. If it covered enough I would get it.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:29 PM
s14roller

Thanks for all the replys.

I was thinking about getting it mainly for the highway...and taking it off once the trips were over. The main thing holding me back is friends that tell me the bra will scratche the paint. I know if dirt gets in there, this is definitely true.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want to prevent against rock chips to result to scratches that weren't there.

Thanks again guys.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:54 AM
beastie

For some reason dirt does like to get under the bra. Just a matter of keeping it clean.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:19 AM
Z_Driver
Master

I have a 350Z. I install my bra for long freeway trips.

We actually, like the way they looks. Expecially, with my Black G35 rear wing. It takes 60secs to take it off and 90secs to install it. I live near a freeway where there are a lot of gravel trucks. I stay back and let the bra take the hits. Saves the paint and windshield.

I coated the bra with crystal guard. It looks much better and the bugs just wipe right off. No scrubing at all.

The Colgan bras are quite tight. Unlike my crappy 300ZX bra which I never used cause it looked like heck.

I take it off when it rains. So, that mildew doesn't grow. It distroys the bra and paint.
I don't get any dirt under my bra but I do get a little dirt up against the hood piece where it meets the bare hood. The felt and hooks on the Colgan bras are quite nice. No scratches to date. I have had mine for two years.

The bra is for freeway use. I like to show off my Z with carbon fiber inserts around town.

Around town it appears that the speed doesn't allow the rocks to hurt the paint. Not enough velocity I suppose.

Since I plan on keeping my 350Z for 20 years like my last Z, I want it to look good.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-02-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:06 PM
RashMan14

UMM, i think those leather bras look nasty,

i got a clear bra from ebay for 50 bucks shipped and it is good quality look into getting one of those instead
Old 10-02-2005, 05:13 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bra is a great thing to have, get the clear sticker ones. Pretty expensive but well worth it, can't even tell that they are there!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:50 PM
s14roller

Originally Posted by mecinoid
I have a 350Z. I install my bra for long freeway trips.

We actually, like the way they looks. Expecially, with my Black G35 rear wing. It takes 60secs to take it off and 90secs to install it. I live near a freeway where there are a lot of gravel trucks. I stay back and let the bra take the hits. Saves the paint and windshield.

I coated the bra with crystal guard. It looks much better and the bugs just wipe right off. No scrubing at all.

The Colgan bras are quite tight. Unlike my crappy 300ZX bra which I never used cause it looked like heck.

I take it off when it rains. So, that mildew doesn't grow. It distroys the bra and paint.
I don't get any dirt under my bra but I do get a little dirt up against the hood piece where it meets the bare hood. The felt and hooks on the Colgan bras are quite nice. No scratches to date. I have had mine for two years.

The bra is for freeway use. I like to show off my Z with carbon fiber inserts around town.

Around town it appears that the speed doesn't allow the rocks to hurt the paint. Not enough velocity I suppose.

Since I plan on keeping my 350Z for 20 years like my last Z, I want it to look good.

Everyone seems to talk about the Colgan bras...are they alot better then the OEM ones?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Cat 1

The "clear bra" I have on my G was a freebie thrown in by the dealership. It is a "three foot bra" meaning you can't tell unless you are three feet away from the car and looking for it. It covers a third of the hood, the head light area (surround area only), the mirrors and the common scuff points on the fenders front and rear. I did opt for the front lower lip and the rear skirt and I wish the front lip would have been covered by the same material because it is starting to loose color because of being sandblasted by the gravel they put on the roads here in Colorado, and my windshield is shot to hell to. Severly sand blasted and pitted and I have only had the car for a bit over a year. Certainly equal to or worse than my 96 Accord after one winter in Little Rock and three winters Tulsa, and it was used.
But I say protect what you have paid for and if that is a leather bra, then rock that paint protectector, especially if you do the distance driving thing is areas of high impact or abrasive possibilities.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Z_Driver
Master

"Everyone seems to talk about the Colgan bras...are they alot better then the OEM ones?"

Here is a picture Left to Right. Colgan with hood piece installed, Nissan, Colgan without hood piece. I think the NISSAN one is more expensive. I do not like the NISSAN embossed in the bra. I think the quality is about the same. I do know the quality of the Colgan bra is very good however.

I also think the Nissan one only comes with the hole for the front license plate. If you don't want to use the factory bracket it leaves a ugly void as well.

All that I can say is my front end looks like new after two years of use. Again, I only use it when I go on long trips on the freeway. Around town I go without the bra.

BTW- These are made of a padded/felt backed vinyl material. It not really a leather matieral as some have suggested.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:42 AM
LMG_35C

I have a Colgan mask with side mirror protectors since 1st week of ownership. It fits well enough to keep most of the dirt out from under, and while I prefer the look of my G without it, I prefer to keep my paint even more.
I also like this better than putting semi-permanent clear tape on my hood which, in my opinion, detracts fom the brilliance of the color and doesn't do as much for protecting lot's of areas on the bumper which the front mask covers.
Only other consideration is if you get the mask and then later decide on a lip, the bumper portion of the mask will no longer fit. I'm pretty sure Colgan does have a model made for the OEM front lip so keep this in mind. As noted above, a bit of leather protector on the mask keeps it easy to clean and very pliable as well. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Bra for G35 coupe?-p0000714_640_2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bra for G35 coupe?