Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Crawford cats, G35 Sedan ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:05 PM
jasonsfa98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am somewhat relieved to see that I am not alone. I was starting to think I'd gone crazy. I know nothing is wrong with my car. It's brand freak'n new! PLUS I took pictures of the underside and Crawford doesn't see anything wrong either. Even though he tried to suggest it but a quick look at the surrounding hardware tells you everything else is in line.

I am angry because these things are easy to engineer. There is plenty of room to make the bends off the header work. I am upset that I called before purchasing and I was told they would fit. What's really making me get fired up is that I am on hold while they look for someone who has installed these on a car as new as mine. What is that going to do? Give an excuse to send me packing? The bottom line is that they do NOT fit and it needs to be fixed. NOW.

I am not ******* Crawford, yet. They are taking the time to research the issue but I have spent a good amount of money and time so I think things should be moving quicker. Look at the original posting date on this.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:18 PM
mbq62

Jason sorry to hear it's still not resolved. I hope they find a solution soon.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:45 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Just going to point out that you bought something used, and Doug is going out of his way to help you resolve an issue in a situation where he's not gotten a dime from you. That is way above and beyond what the majority of vendors would do.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:55 PM
jasonsfa98

MannishBoy,

You're partially correct. These cats were purchased from PerformanceNissan back in August. After calling Crawford to ask if they fit my car, and getting a "yes", I purchased them from a guy in Miami in September. So, Crawford did make money on the sale of their product to Performance Nissan.

The driver's side cat didn't fit so I contacted Crawford. First, came accusations that the guy selling them to me was lying and that the must not have been Crawford products. Childish, but somewhat understandable. When you spend time making something and it fits everything you know of you have some pride to protect there. Then, after sending pictures to prove that they were Crawford cats they sent me another. Flat out, their product didn't fit after they said it would, used or not. So them sending me another would have happened if it was me who had purchased them from PF or not.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:32 PM
jasonsfa98

Well ... the saga appears to be over.

I called again today to see if they had heard from anyone whom had installed cats on a G as new as mine. The answer I got was “no.” Angry, I asked what waiting on news of an install like mine would accomplish for me. I got a story about a coupe that happen to be made “ummmmm 02/05,” same month and year as mine. How convenient, he just left too. But didn't I just ask if there was any new news? Understand, I am super mad about this whole thing so my view could be skewed more towards suspicion than it should be.

So I am stuck out in the cold. I have a 2005 Sedan that these magic cats will not fit. They still haven't found anyone with a car (Sedan, AT, 02/2005 production date) as new as mine that has installed these cats. Crawford says Infiniti may have changed something, but they don't know.

Long story short, they don't fit even though they said they would and I have spent more time and money on this than I care to admit to. They even asked to be paid for the replacement they sent out to me. Hinting around to the notion that even though they did in fact make them and say they would fit, they're not responsible since they were used. Understandable, only if there was some sort of damage. Fact remains, your name (Crawford) is on the product and you should replace them no matter who buys them. Using the above logic would mean anything NOT sold directly by Crawford would be considered used and not warrantied. Am I wrong? Hell, I could have said that I purchased them. I had the original invoice from the guy I purchased them from. It shouldn't make a difference on something only a month old.

Hat's off to Crawford for sending me the replacement. Too bad it's just like the 1st one and still doesn't fit. No kudo's for making ME feel guilty about the whole thing.

For sale: USED Crawford cats that will NOT fit a 2005 Sedan 5AT made on or before 02/05.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:41 PM
boostaholic

What about 5AT Sedans after 02/2005, will the Crawford cats fit properly?

Last edited by boostaholic; 11-01-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:18 PM
keith N

Crawford went above and beyond the call of duty. You bought them used not new. They really didn't have to send you a new HF cat, but they did. Good, sell them and move on.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:31 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by jasonsfa98
Well ... the saga appears to be over.

I called again today to see if they had heard from anyone whom had installed cats on a G as new as mine. The answer I got was “no.” Angry, I asked what waiting on news of an install like mine would accomplish for me. I got a story about a coupe that happen to be made “ummmmm 02/05,” same month and year as mine. How convenient, he just left too. But didn't I just ask if there was any new news? Understand, I am super mad about this whole thing so my view could be skewed more towards suspicion than it should be.

So I am stuck out in the cold. I have a 2005 Sedan that these magic cats will not fit. They still haven't found anyone with a car (Sedan, AT, 02/2005 production date) as new as mine that has installed these cats. Crawford says Infiniti may have changed something, but they don't know.

Long story short, they don't fit even though they said they would and I have spent more time and money on this than I care to admit to. They even asked to be paid for the replacement they sent out to me. Hinting around to the notion that even though they did in fact make them and say they would fit, they're not responsible since they were used. Understandable, only if there was some sort of damage. Fact remains, your name (Crawford) is on the product and you should replace them no matter who buys them. Using the above logic would mean anything NOT sold directly by Crawford would be considered used and not warrantied. Am I wrong? Hell, I could have said that I purchased them. I had the original invoice from the guy I purchased them from. It shouldn't make a difference on something only a month old.

Hat's off to Crawford for sending me the replacement. Too bad it's just like the 1st one and still doesn't fit. No kudo's for making ME feel guilty about the whole thing.

For sale: USED Crawford cats that will NOT fit a 2005 Sedan 5AT made on or before 02/05.
Sorry to hear about your misadventure...... Some times you winsome, sometimes you lose some
Old 11-02-2005, 06:18 AM
jasonsfa98

keith N,

You're right and I commended them for that.

However, they don't need to advertise them as fitting if they don't. They have not done any installs on a Sedan as new as mine. Apparently nobody has because they were calling all their vendors to ask.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:19 AM
jasonsfa98

cessna,

I do not know ... a supposedly nobody else does either.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:12 AM
ZXiMan

I have to wonder what the difference between the AT and 6MT is in that area for them not to fit. They fit my '05 6MT sedan perfectly...
Old 11-06-2005, 06:04 PM
boostaholic

This sucks. I have a brand new set waiting to get installed onto my 05 Sedan AT. I wonder if Kinetix cats will fit any better since it looks like the catalyst they use is round and somewhat smaller. Thoughts?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boostaholic
This sucks. I have a brand new set waiting to get installed onto my 05 Sedan AT. I wonder if Kinetix cats will fit any better since it looks like the catalyst they use is round and somewhat smaller. Thoughts?
i've run both brands on my z. kinetix were a tighter fit and required the old hammer adjustment. crawfords didn't.
to the author of this thread, are you getting lots of engine movement, and what has nissan said, if anything?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:53 AM
jasonsfa98

ZXiMan,

What is the production date on your car?

Z BOY,

Nothing more than normal.

If I had too much engine movement I am assuming my Injen intake (un-installed now) would have been torn to pieces. That thing ran right next to the frame rail down to the front fender. And since it was mounted to the engine, too much movement would have definitely destroyed it.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:27 AM
trey.hutcheson

Originally Posted by boostaholic
I have fitment issues with my driver's side cat on my 05 6MT sedan. And one thing to consider about the kinetix, they do not mount to the cat crossbar support like the stock cats do. Don't know if the crawfords do or not.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:46 AM
jasonsfa98

My Crawfords line up just fine with that support bracket. Which, in my head, rules out the idea that something is off. If something up top with the headers were off, then they wouldn't line up with that bracket.

Still waiting ...........
Old 11-08-2005, 09:04 AM
JC79G35

I just installed Craford cats on mine. They fitted just fine although they do tend to rattle when the engine is first started (and it is starting to get a bit chilly in Chicago now), but after 5 minutes of driving, they're fine. I'm going to check them tomarrow to make sure everything is still tight (the bolts that is).
Old 11-08-2005, 09:58 AM
jasonsfa98

What's the production date on your car JC79G35?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:43 PM
trey.hutcheson

Default Update

Wanted to give everyone an update. After reading this thread, a couple weeks ago I called Doug and offered to let him "borrow" my car for the day to check fitment. So today, I took the day off and drove my car from Birmingham to Nashville. The wife was also off work, and the kid was out of school, so she took her car as well. We dropped off my car, and did some sight-seeing.

The intent of the trip was to let Doug try the fitment of the crawford cats on an 05 G sedan. Granted, Jason's car is an auto, and mine is a 6mt, but I believe Jason's rubbing issues are coming from the opposite side of the transmission, not the transmission itself. Also, my car has a production date of 03/05, one month newer than Jason's.

Doug took off my driver's side kinetix cat and installed a crawford. It fit just fine. He even has pictures. After I got back, I took the car out for a test drive, and there was *zero* rubbing on the driver's side. It fit perfectly, even under load(WOT).

I was so pleased with the fitment that I went ahead and bought a set while I was there. They installed the passenger side cat, and after the heatshield was bent back, everything fit just fine.

Jason, I don't know what's going on with your car. But the crawfords went on perfectly on my car. I'm sorry that you're having issues. I think it must be an issue with your car specifically. That sucks dude.

As for Crawford's service, it was top-notch. I had no intention of actually buying a set of the cats, but that's what happened. When I got there, I met Doug. He was very friendly, and he had every intention of finding out why there was a fitment issue. He even checked with parts numbers, and he mentioned that to his knowledge the part numbers on the stock cats have not changed between model years.

While I was there, he showed me around. He showed me where the fabrication work is done on the cats and post-production work is done on the plenums. Very educational.

I hope Jason gets his situation figured out, but at this point, I don't think Doug can do any more. He finally got an 05 sedan into his shop, and they fit just like they have every other car. Good luck.

Last edited by trey.hutcheson; 11-11-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:08 PM
jasonsfa98

Yeah Doug e-mailed me this morning with the pictures.

I don't know the differences between a 6MT and my Auto ... I can only guess that's the problem.

I don't know what the hell to do now.

Quick Reply: Crawford cats, G35 Sedan ...