Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Hydrolocked my engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:24 PM
HokieZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, it doesn't take much water to damage an engine. Liquid water doesn't compress very well and a small amt. will bend a rod in a heartbeat. The rods on the 03 and 04 are extremely small and weak so it wouldn't suprise me at all.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:48 PM
lovetoclown

I have been told that people do not give our motor enough credit. They are a well built motor. I did not submerge my intake and yet I got alot of water sucked up when I was pulling out of a driveway. I beleive that if I was driving with the RPMs up, I would have done some damage. On top of everything I tried to crank the motor over several times. I know stupid thing to do. But none the less, My car runs without any noises or issues. I no longer use the downpipe of the intake. Don't want to test my luck again.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Jes-Z

hey Dave,

Sorry to hear about your engine. Hopefully you get it back to normal soon. If you need my stock intake let me know. Oh and by the way go Heat!!!

Jesse
Old 06-19-2006, 07:25 PM
max255

dont worry i hydrolocked my maxima engine, i just wish i could of driven the car more. It was crazy burnouts that i did. o well, pretty sad though.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:35 PM
JClit

Check with your insurance, hydrolocked engines are sometimes covered under certain circumstances.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:43 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by JClit
Check with your insurance, hydrolocked engines are sometimes covered under certain circumstances.
In Texas, the vehicle owner has to have "flood damage" coverage in their policy to receive benefits.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Logikal_Disasta

Originally Posted by Gman2004
just put the stock air box on and take it to the dealer. tell them the car just shut down.
yeah thats what i am doing...its going to the dealer as i type..
Old 06-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Logikal_Disasta

Originally Posted by scrbz6913
hey Dave,

Sorry to hear about your engine. Hopefully you get it back to normal soon. If you need my stock intake let me know. Oh and by the way go Heat!!!

Jesse
lmao! you found me on here lol...yeah i got an intake for it. hell yes!

MIAMI HEAT 2006 NBA CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:57 AM
skaterbasist

My first question is, why would anyone get an INJEN CAI. Its been stated by many people over on the G35driver.com that these CAI make no power gain and hydrolock much more common than intakes such as the Pop Charger and Stillen which arent actually CAI because they are at the same height and very similar to the stock airbox. CAI have a much greater risk of hydrolocking than intakes because they are so much closer to the ground.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
My first question is, why would anyone get an INJEN CAI. Its been stated by many people over on the G35driver.com that these CAI make no power gain and hydrolock much more common than intakes such as the Pop Charger and Stillen which arent actually CAI because they are at the same height and very similar to the stock airbox. CAI have a much greater risk of hydrolocking than intakes because they are so much closer to the ground.
only reason, i can think of, is bling.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Logikal_Disasta

actually i can vouch for an incrase in power. i had the top secret front bumper, which if you have ever taken off your front bumper, you will notice styrofoam beneath it. the top secret eleviates this and has air ducts to either side. on the driver side the Injen CAI sits behind this duck which gives it a TRUE CAI effect. HOWEVER, yes hydrolocking is VERY much more likely, thats where carefullnes comes into play. my motor was hydrolocked b/c when i hydroplaned i hit the wall and crack the top secret bumper thus exposing the air filter to water. mind you its miami weather...torential downpour. driving in light rain besides my circumstance will not cause hydrolocking
Old 07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Logikal_Disasta

dont know if anyone still pays any attention to this thread or not lol. but the update is bent valves, damaged pistons and cylinders. insurance is putting a breand spanking new engine in. i think its going to be an 05-06 engine so ill have the engine upgrades!
Old 07-12-2006, 05:27 PM
HokieZ

Can you drop a Rev-up in a non rev-up? It's a different intake, ECU, and lord knows what else.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Miami-G35

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
No one has ever proved on G35Driver.com that Injen CAI intakes add no power. So many people claim this and that about intakes. Lots of talk but not a lot of proof with dyno numbers. Some say Stillen is the best and some say Injen is. I have seen some dyno sheets on both intakes showing a loss and showing a gain. Look at the polls on G35Driver. When the qestion is asked of G35Driver members which intake is the best Injen is usually at the top if not tied with Stillen everything else is a waste.http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...CAI+vs+Stillen
Old 07-13-2006, 09:14 AM
glennp_1999

May the G35 gods have mercy on your engine. Hope it can still be salvage without major $$$ spent.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Logikal_Disasta

Originally Posted by glennp_1999
May the G35 gods have mercy on your engine. Hope it can still be salvage without major $$$ spent.
well all in all with engine replacement and front fascia work and replacement of my topsecret bumper, my insurance put out just shy of 16grand.

in reference to the question above (about putting a rev up in a non rev up) this is actually phesiable, the process to which will be taken with my car will be a ecu swap which will recognize the new parameters, the intake however is the same except for the lower plenum, which as you know comes stock on all 05-06 motors, so basically yeah i will have an upgraded intake.

i know i am going to get a kick in the A** from all of you for saying this, but yes...i am going to put my injen cai back in. i just love the gains and well the vanity of the look and sound. furthermore, i will be re-tuning my SAFC-II to fit the new map of the new engine.

i will be sure to follow up with a conclusion on the progress soon. the engine has been installed and the car is currently on the way to the infiniti body shop.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Touring240

amazing.

So insurance will be covering the bill for the motor replacement?
Old 07-23-2006, 06:46 PM
06Gcoupin

You are one lucky motherf*cker to be getting a new motor like that. You must really love that CAI to keep that lower piping after what has happened to you. I hope you've learned your lesson, when you see a huge puddle such as the one you hydrolocked in... pull over, remove the lower piping and do what you gotta do to get thru the water...good luck with that motor swap bro
Old 07-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Zerk

Nice to hear everything is working out for you. As far as putting your CAI back in, go ahead and rock it. Like most people said, it is difficult to hydrolock your engine and unfortunately you did... chances are, that won't happen again especially if you exercise more caution.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Iheart350

Sorry to hear about the engine, glad to see that the insurance company came through for you. Same thing happened to me last Spring. Same cold air intake. IF they didn't replace it with the stock air box, and you still want the Injen, I just too the downpipe completely off, and attached a cone filter to where the stock air box would be, it works great, and if water was to get that high, I'm a fuxing idiot and probably floating down a creek! Oh, still get that cool whistling from the Injen.

Originally Posted by Logikal_Disasta
well all in all with engine replacement and front fascia work and replacement of my topsecret bumper, my insurance put out just shy of 16grand.

in reference to the question above (about putting a rev up in a non rev up) this is actually phesiable, the process to which will be taken with my car will be a ecu swap which will recognize the new parameters, the intake however is the same except for the lower plenum, which as you know comes stock on all 05-06 motors, so basically yeah i will have an upgraded intake.

i know i am going to get a kick in the A** from all of you for saying this, but yes...i am going to put my injen cai back in. i just love the gains and well the vanity of the look and sound. furthermore, i will be re-tuning my SAFC-II to fit the new map of the new engine.

i will be sure to follow up with a conclusion on the progress soon. the engine has been installed and the car is currently on the way to the infiniti body shop.

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked my engine